Android user asksabout the Lumia 920

hary536

Oct 8, 2011
Visit site
Get the 822, if you want pro cam app you can still get it by using the proxy glitch/hack, and WP8 doesn't have easy fast wireless printing, I have to email my documents or things I want printed to my printer, but on my iPod touch I can just press print and have it done in 5-10seconds.
Printing from iPod touch to any printer is not possible always. It also depends on printer.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Printing from iPod touch to any printer is not possible always. It also depends on printer.

AirPrint Basics Do research before you try and tell me I'm incorrect. Here is the quote if you still don't want to research.
iOS requirements:
To print from your iOS device using AirPrint, you need one of the following devices using the latest version of iOS:
?iPad (all models)
?iPhone (3GS or later)
?iPod touch (3rd generation or later)

T Moore

Jan 21, 2013
Visit site
I have a Brother J625DW. Brother has an app for their current printers. Over my WiFi I can print from the phone, pictures come out great, scan to skydrive.
Brother iPrint&Scan

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
How about multitasking skills? Can i multitask in-between apps or games or a website without pressing the Windows symbol?

Re: Twitter sometimes you see a photo on Twitter. With Android you have the option of saving the app on your device itself. IS that possible in the WP8 app?

Is a Bing voice search in the works? Or is the Google search app able to do that Siri-like functionality?

Do i need an app to view/read a .pdf file?

Is copy & paste functionality possible in almost anywhere in the device?

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
How about multitasking skills? Can i multitask in-between apps or games or a website without pressing the Windows symbol?

Re: Twitter sometimes you see a photo on Twitter. With Android you have the option of saving the app on your device itself. IS that possible in the WP8 app?

Is a Bing voice search in the works? Or is the Google search app able to do that Siri-like functionality?

Do i need an app to view/read a .pdf file?

Is copy & paste functionality possible in almost anywhere in the device?

it happens like this:

you're using an app, you want to open another one but you don't want to close, you press windows button =), open as many apps as you want, and then you can switch them if you just hold the back button, it will appear a window with all your open apps, you just have to select the one you want

here's a video:
Nokia Lumia 920 Tips: Multitasking on the Lumia 920 - YouTube

-----

If I understood you, yes, you can save or just view the photo via twitter app

----

Yes, when you select to view your pdf file, it will say that you need an app to view it, if you press ''ok'', it will just take you to the store and show you the bests pdf readers (adobe, for example.)

-------

yes, you just select the word you want and a symbol will appear, just click on it to copy

-----

I don't know about bing voice search =/

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
In the multitasking screens how does one delete or "stop" an active app or task? is there an "X" above the windows so i can delete or stop it?

Does all photos saved (be it Twiiter, screenshot, email jpeg) are all stored under Photos?

Does the copy & paste functionality work across apps, websites, notes, etc.?

I heard Bing voice search was available in the Amber update. Is this true? And does it work more like Siri or Google Now?

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
In the multitasking screens how does one delete or "stop" an active app or task? is there an "X" above the windows so i can delete or stop it?

Does all photos saved (be it Twiiter, screenshot, email jpeg) are all stored under Photos?

Does the copy & paste functionality work across apps, websites, notes, etc.?

I heard Bing voice search was available in the Amber update. Is this true? And does it work more like Siri or Google Now?

Hello,

No you cant close an app from the multitasking screen this feature will come with the next update (GDR3) but you shouldn't worry about those apps since they are on a hibernate mode and if resources are needed they will be shutdown by the OS.

Photos taken by the camera go on the camera roll folder, screenshots on the screenshot's folder and anything else any other app might save as picture goes to the saved pictures folder. Everything is under the Photos Hub/Application.

Copy/paste works across everything.

I don't really know about Bing voice, don't have yet the amber update but I can use it.

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
I moved from Android(Galaxy S3) to Lumia 720 to Lumia 920 (within a month :p ). It took a couple of days for me to get used to it but since then it has been a love affair ;). Can't see myself going back to android in forseable future. Even after 4 cores the experience on S3 was sluggish and integration was lacking. Windows Phone 8 integrates everything so beautifuly that Android seems something like a amateur OS. Simplicity and ease of use is the first thing that would blow you away.

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
The biggest phone i have to date is the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE which has a 4.7" screen. The 4.5" screen as i said might be negligible still to me. I found the S3's quad-core processor mated with the 2GB RAM is smooth and i found it not that sluggish. But knowing that it cannot be updated to 4.3 or beyond is a downer. Samsung has been known to release expensive "flagship" devices every year and support for their phones ends in just under 2 years. Must be Google's fault as well as they are the ones that release these OS's to the companies then overlaying it with their bloatwares.

What i really like with the WP8 phones is the fluid, clean, stutter-free screen especially the 920 & 925 and the smooth OS. I don't worry too much of the viewing angles or when viewing it in direct sunlight.

As regards the apps as i said based on the research i have done so far 7-8 out of 10 of my Android apps currently i regularly use have either an equivalent or alternative. What i don't have is i'm not sure if its crucial is my bank which has NO app on the Marketplace. Now i don't usually check my account on a banking app as i do it mostly at home but It would still be convenient and for emergency purposes. Not crucial but convenient. Games? Now that's a different story as i still have yet to find 8 out of 10 of my most used games on my S3 in the Marketplace.

Two differnet phone shops i went told me that they no longer stock the Lumia 920 (O2 & Three) although the phone is still on their website. I think. And each of them said that the Lumia 925 is the only one available and they said that the 920 is quite heavy for a phone. The weight of the phone isn't much of a factor for me in buying a new phone. So, no problem with that.

I'm warming up slowly to the Lumia phones. They are still not perfect; have started compiling a list of my "enhancement suggestions" which i hope Nokia will listen and take note. Nothing major but still would be nice to get some of those suggestions squeezed in the next GDR's.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
The biggest phone i have to date is the Samsung Galaxy S3 LTE which has a 4.7" screen. The 4.5" screen as i said might be negligible still to me. I found the S3's quad-core processor mated with the 2GB RAM is smooth and i found it not that sluggish. But knowing that it cannot be updated to 4.3 or beyond is a downer. Samsung has been known to release expensive "flagship" devices every year and support for their phones ends in just under 2 years. Must be Google's fault as well as they are the ones that release these OS's to the companies then overlaying it with their bloatwares.

What i really like with the WP8 phones is the fluid, clean, stutter-free screen especially the 920 & 925 and the smooth OS. I don't worry too much of the viewing angles or when viewing it in direct sunlight.

As regards the apps as i said based on the research i have done so far 7-8 out of 10 of my Android apps currently i regularly use have either an equivalent or alternative. What i don't have is i'm not sure if its crucial is my bank which has NO app on the Marketplace. Now i don't usually check my account on a banking app as i do it mostly at home but It would still be convenient and for emergency purposes. Not crucial but convenient. Games? Now that's a different story as i still have yet to find 8 out of 10 of my most used games on my S3 in the Marketplace.

Two differnet phone shops i went told me that they no longer stock the Lumia 920 (O2 & Three) although the phone is still on their website. I think. And each of them said that the Lumia 925 is the only one available and they said that the 920 is quite heavy for a phone. The weight of the phone isn't much of a factor for me in buying a new phone. So, no problem with that.

I'm warming up slowly to the Lumia phones. They are still not perfect; have started compiling a list of my "enhancement suggestions" which i hope Nokia will listen and take note. Nothing major but still would be nice to get some of those suggestions squeezed in the next GDR's.

sincerely, I came from blackberry and android (had a razr, top of the line when it was launched..) and they were very good phones, but since I moved to wp8 with 920, I don't regret a bit, sure, it has things to make it better, but they will in very soon, gdr3 is expected to come out in october (it will bring rotation lock, custom sms etc sounds and the ability to close apps via the multi tasking window and others), while blue update (early 2014) will bring notification center and many many many other things..

when these 2 come out, I don't think there will be any more faults on wp8, just the apps (and the store is growing VERY fast..), I won't leave wp soon enough, I think you should give a try, but sure, see if it suits your necessities as a whole..

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I feel i am not yet convinced.

Apps are abundant and have alternatives from Android. Most, but not all. Games are a dissapoinment.

Battery life seems to be another issue. 2000mAh is quite low and not convinced it will last a full day with "moderate or normal use".

Music player still immature. Sound quality i'm not toatally convinced. Video player lacks some file support.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I feel i am not yet convinced.

Apps are abundant and have alternatives from Android. Most, but not all. Games are a dissapoinment.

Battery life seems to be another issue. 2000mAh is quite low and not convinced it will last a full day with "moderate or normal use".

Music player still immature. Sound quality i'm not toatally convinced. Video player lacks some file support.

I did have some problems playing videos before amber update, but after it (it fixed many bugs), I didn't have any problem, and I watch videos all day long..

I keep my phone using 3g all day long and using whatsapp, twitter and wpcentral, it lasts around 12hours like this, if you use wifi, it lasts a bit more..

sound quality I'm loving it, the headphones that comes with the 920 is great and also have a nice and clear quality, you won't hear disturbs or anything and the isolating from the ambient is awesome, you don't hear anything with your headphones on your ears.. without headphones, it indeed could be a bit louder, but the quality still remains..

apps are definetly windows phone achilles knees, 6tag works just like instagram, there isn't snapchat client and twitter and facebook are in official form, but I understand you, there are many apps lacking, principally bank apps..

WP8 is still very new, not even 1 year, but microsoft seems to be changing it's relation with it, showing more interest and making updates/apps coming (this week A LOT of apps came to wp8) and now that microsoft bought nokia, I think great things are coming..

If the app question is a deal breaker for you, maybe it's not for you until it have, but if not, I really think you could give it a try..

try to get a lumia 520 just to get wp8 experience, if you like it, sell and buy yourself a 920

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
I have a "mid-range" GBP50 Sony in-ear cans and as much as possible use try and use that daily and not the ones that came with the phone. I believe Sony's earphones are still the best out there and give out a natural, strong, crisp output. If that can be "enhanced" with the Dolby headphones settings of a Lumia then i'm happy. The inability of creating/editing a Playlists and deleting a music file (or any file for that matter) in the music player for me is a deal breaker.

I understand Microsoft bought Nokia's mobile division but it might be a while games will become more & more abundant and apparent. Why can't MS do what Blackberry is doing i.e. giving tools to developers so they can port over their Android apps & games over to BB OS easily? I have not much issues with apps as (again as i said based on my own research) most of them have a MP alternative anyway. My bank's app isn't there though and as i use my compuer at home to access my account i would say its not a deal breaker; helpful but perhaps not essential.

If i'm buying my first WP8 phone it has got to be the Lumia 920 simply because its quite "mid to high end" phone and it has a big 4.5" screen. I would prefer a 4.7"-4.8" as i feel its the ideal screen size but that remains to be a myth.

Again i want to ask/discuss about phone updates. I feel Apple is still tops with updating their phone's OS "more often" followed by Google (with that eternal issue of updates being very country, network and device-dependent which would translate sometimes to 6-9 months). But what about Microsoft and Nokia? Do i have to wait for another 6-9 months before another update after Amber? DO you guys think Nokia updates their phones more often that the others?

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
I have a "mid-range" GBP50 Sony in-ear cans and as much as possible use try and use that daily and not the ones that came with the phone. I believe Sony's earphones are still the best out there and give out a natural, strong, crisp output. If that can be "enhanced" with the Dolby headphones settings of a Lumia then i'm happy. The inability of creating/editing a Playlists and deleting a music file (or any file for that matter) in the music player for me is a deal breaker.

I understand Microsoft bought Nokia's mobile division but it might be a while games will become more & more abundant and apparent. Why can't MS do what Blackberry is doing i.e. giving tools to developers so they can port over their Android apps & games over to BB OS easily? I have not much issues with apps as (again as i said based on my own research) most of them have a MP alternative anyway. My bank's app isn't there though and as i use my compuer at home to access my account i would say its not a deal breaker; helpful but perhaps not essential.

If i'm buying my first WP8 phone it has got to be the Lumia 920 simply because its quite "mid to high end" phone and it has a big 4.5" screen. I would prefer a 4.7"-4.8" as i feel its the ideal screen size but that remains to be a myth.

Again i want to ask/discuss about phone updates. I feel Apple is still tops with updating their phone's OS "more often" followed by Google (with that eternal issue of updates being very country, network and device-dependent which would translate sometimes to 6-9 months). But what about Microsoft and Nokia? Do i have to wait for another 6-9 months before another update after Amber? DO you guys think Nokia updates their phones more often that the others?

Now that microsoft has bought nokia, I believe updates will be faster, but it's wrong to say that it's slow..

apple has updated their device 2x this year, android 3 times, and so as microsoft, gdr1, gdr2 and the upcoming gdr3 on october..

If I'm not wrong, amber update has implemented the ability to create your own playlists and edit them.. I'll test this and I'll answer you in this same post (editing it)

the apps thing is realllyyyy boring, I know how you feel, but windows store is growing very fast, it's only a matter of time until most important apps are released, wp8 doesn't have even 1 year of life yet.. But it ,indeed, it's really boring to not have the apps you want..

amber update have already rolled out for most countries, they're dependent on your carrier, but you can upgrade it by yourself if you want to, the only thing is that you'll lose all you data.. and you can follow the processament of amber update at your country (coming soon, etc)..

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
When do you reckon we'll see an "acceleration" of release of games for the Marketplace? And will there be a possibility that MS or Nokia will do what Blackberry is doing i.e. giving developers the tools to port their Android apps to the BB App store?

I don't agree that Google has updated their Android OS 3x this past year as this is very network, device (if its SIM-free or unlocked) and manufacturer dependent as they overlay their UI (and bloatware) over Android. So in that context and based on the past 12 months do you think MS/Nokia will update their devices "more often" than Apple or Google's?

I'm not into flashing or rooting devices. I would rather do the updates in the normal fashion which is over the air or via the computer.

Apps like i said i can live with as most of them i found to be have an alternative or equivalent. Have no bank app tho i usually do my banking at home anyway. The games is THE big issue. NO Dead Trigger, NO Real Racing 3, NO King of Fighters, NO Subway Surfers. And sometimes i found the prices of games on the MP is slightly dearer than that of the Play store or Apple's.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
When do you reckon we'll see an "acceleration" of release of games for the Marketplace? And will there be a possibility that MS or Nokia will do what Blackberry is doing i.e. giving developers the tools to port their Android apps to the BB App store?

I don't agree that Google has updated their Android OS 3x this past year as this is very network, device (if its SIM-free or unlocked) and manufacturer dependent as they overlay their UI (and bloatware) over Android. So in that context and based on the past 12 months do you think MS/Nokia will update their devices "more often" than Apple or Google's?

I'm not into flashing or rooting devices. I would rather do the updates in the normal fashion which is over the air or via the computer.

Apps like i said i can live with as most of them i found to be have an alternative or equivalent. Have no bank app tho i usually do my banking at home anyway. The games is THE big issue. NO Dead Trigger, NO Real Racing 3, NO King of Fighters, NO Subway Surfers. And sometimes i found the prices of games on the MP is slightly dearer than that of the Play store or Apple's.

indeed, there's still a big hole in games section, real racing 3 is coming..

yep, microsoft has updated wp8 in 1 year (remember that wp8 is not even 1year yet, and already havr 150k+ apps, while android has more than 3 years and so as apple) the same number as google updated their's and apple updated 1 time less..

it's only a matter of time until these bigs apps/games reaches to wp8, and now that microsoft bought nokia, we shall see a faster development of updates and marketplace..

updating via OTA (normal way) sometimes takes 1 month or a bit more to get the update, remember that once nokia launched it's update, it's dependent on your carrier, not ms/nokia dependant.. I have already got amber update, for example..

and for you, who likes big screens, there's the lumia 1520 launching this month I believe, with a 6' screen

Gino Guillermo

Sep 4, 2013
Visit site
If i get a SIM-free or unlocked Lumia phone would the updates be dependent on the country (in this case the UK) and not carrier dependent?

A 6" screen is too much for me. My 4.8" Galaxy S3 screen is enough. A 4.5" is Ok but slightly bigger might be better. Forget about the Lumia 625 as the specs are rubbish.

AndreStudart

Apr 29, 2013
Visit site
If i get a SIM-free or unlocked Lumia phone would the updates be dependent on the country (in this case the UK) and not carrier dependent?

A 6" screen is too much for me. My 4.8" Galaxy S3 screen is enough. A 4.5" is Ok but slightly bigger might be better. Forget about the Lumia 625 as the specs are rubbish.

In this case, I believe it would be a CV (country variant) which means that when nokia releases for it's product code, you shall receive it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss