Erratic Battery after Amber/GDR2

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
So I'm having some strange battery behavior after the Amber update and wondering if anyone else is seeing something similar... It's like this:

When I go to bed at night, I put my 920 on the wireless charger, where it will sit until morning. When I wake up, the phone appears to have mostly discharged it's battery overnight (battery meter generally shows 30-40% depending on where it was when I put it on the charger). However, if I soft-reset the phone, when it comes back, it shows fully charged as expected from leaving it charging all night!

I haven't tried wired charging yet to see if the problem is specific to the wireless charger but will tonight. Again, it appears that the phone has charged but that it doesn't detect the correct charge amount until after I reboot.

Anyone else see something similar?

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
FYI... I've also hard-reset and manually reflashed the GDR2/Amber update in attempt to solve, but same issue. OS Version = 8.0.10328.78, Firmware version = 3046.0001.1326.0001

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Your battery is discharging while it's on the wireless charger? That's odd. I have a wireless charging pad that I use with my 920 once in awhile (I prefer wired charging), but I've never experienced anything like that. I would say try the regular wired charger and see if there's any difference.

GDR2/Amber has been mostly positive in terms of battery life for my phone, although I did run into issues last Friday and this past Sunday, where it drained VERY quickly. I think the issue on Friday was that I was in an area with poor signal for awhile, though. You should really be seeing an improvement in the battery after GDR2/Amber.

locoworks

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
not sure if ni have had the update, but in the last few days my battery meter ( and all the app battery meters i had installed ) started not showing above 93% and not going below 85%, i had the thing on charge 50% of the time so i didn't expect it drop anyway, but i couldn'r get it to rise above 93% either. also, again!! my computers don't see the phone, and when i plug a charger in it doesn't wake the phone up and give the notification jingle to tell me i'm connected, it also doesn't see in the battery apps when the phone was last charged either...!!

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I hate to be the voice of doom but you have one choice, send it away for repair if still in warranty. You can find a ton of battery saving tips on this site but when all is said and done it's an OS bug and once you've got it, you can't get rid of it.

bassoprofundo

Feb 11, 2010
Visit site
Sorry for my lack of response here, all... Didn't have my forum notifications set up correctly... :(

Long story short, i ended out at and AT&T DSC yesterday and was able to get it swapped out. Seems like it had to have been something at least partially hardware-related as it would show drain at random even when charging. I tried wireless & wired charging, I hard reset with and without restoring my backup data, and I tried tweaking every setting under the sun with no success. I even flashed back to GDR1, and the behavior persisted. I'm not even sure that the battery was actually draining as a a reboot would often change the reported battery % value by 40-50% (ex.- I was at 45% when I took it off the charger after a full night of charging, and rebooting would show 100%). The last straw was that I started missing calls because I'd find it sitting in my bag or on my desk completely powered off despite the fact that when powered on, it'd show 100% battery. I even let it "drain out" one morning after taking off the charger with 33%, and sure enough, it'd turn off at zero, and I could fire it right back up and have it show 70-80%.

Glad to have a new(ish) working phone now, but I have to admit I'm a little bummed by the track record so far on WP. I loved my Titan, Lumia 900 & 920, but I've had to exchange each of them at least once (twice on the 900) within a year. None of them have had even the slightest scratch, but all suffered a complete failure of some kind that resulted in the device being unusable. I hate to draw the inevitable comparison, but I've used pretty much every other platform and have never had to exchange a device. I'm still sold on WP as my preferred way of doing things, but I hope they get it together.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3