Samsung ATIV S teardown w/ pictures!

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
So I took the liberty of tearing down my month-old ATIV S just for you guys.

This device is not easy to disassemble. It is really well built. You need patience as the reassembly is the most tedious process and this is one of the hardest disassemblies I've done due to the large amount of ribbon cables used on the device:

Removing the chrome bezel:
DSC_0404.jpg

The main board without the chrome bezel:
DSC_0402.jpg

DSC_0389.jpg

On the underside of the mainboard, we have:

Chip on the left: SAMSUNG LPDDR2 K3PE7E700D XGC2 1.2v 8Gb RAM
Chip on the right: SanDisk *unable to distingush serial number* 16GB storage chip
Flex cable for SIM Card and Micro SD slot.

Surprised that Samsung didn't use one of it's own NAND chips, but used one from SanDisk.
DSC_0395.jpg

Pictured here is the daughter board with the speaker module removed:

*No wireless charging pins here. Sorry guys!*

The pins there are for the speaker module and the other pins are to connect to the antenna.

I couldn't teardown further without damaging the phone so I had to stop there.

REASSEMBLY REQUIRES ALOT OF PATIENCE AND TIME. IT TOOK ME 30 MINUTES TO REASSEMBLE THE CHROME BEZEL WITHOUT BREAKING IT.

Attachments

• DSC_0405.jpg
    DSC_0405.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 10
  • DSC_0405.jpg
    DSC_0405.jpg
    500.8 KB · Views: 8
  • DSC_0402.jpg
    DSC_0402.jpg
    511 KB · Views: 9
  • DSC_0395.jpg
    DSC_0395.jpg
    515.3 KB · Views: 9

paravion

Feb 27, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the chrome frame just pop/snap back into the chassis? I'm surprised it took 30mins to snap it back in....what was difficult about doing that? (I'm just curious).

WP8Expert

Dec 19, 2011
Visit site
Doesn't the chrome frame just pop/snap back into the chassis? I'm surprised it took 30mins to snap it back in....what was difficult about doing that? (I'm just curious).

The curves on each side are not equal, so it is more difficult to re assemble. The problem is the micro usb port, which needs quite some pressure to apply on the bottom area while re assembling or the micro usb port will get stuck and if you push any further the micro usb port will just pop off.

neo158

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
No. With interop unlock I was able to enable FM Radio but GoodDayToDie from xda-developers said that there is no outgoing signal.

The headphones are supposed to act as the antenna so they would need to be attached. I would assume that was tried though?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos