unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
My sister is interested in the 1020, and she has a 4S. She wants it unlocked because she is going to France for 6 months, and doesn't want to pay the international plan. I know they have the 6 month waiting before unlocking, which is fine, but does that policy still work for people who bought the phone on contract. And if she buys it from the Microsoft Store, does that policy still work? Hope you say yes, so she will buy it in white. Thanks!

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
You will have to search for the International Support number (I had to call regular support and go through a million people but I would be willing to bet it is listed somewhere online). Then, ask them to transfer you to International Tech Support (yes they are different). Then bring up your situation. I won't guarantee anything but they seem to be the most willing to do unlockings.

illidanx

Oct 25, 2012
Visit site
My sister is interested in the 1020, and she has a 4S. She wants it unlocked because she is going to France for 6 months, and doesn't want to pay the international plan. I know they have the 6 month waiting before unlocking, which is fine, but does that policy still work for people who bought the phone on contract. And if she buys it from the Microsoft Store, does that policy still work? Hope you say yes, so she will buy it in white. Thanks!

go to ebay and buy unlock code for $3. It worked for me. No need to begging ATT for unlock code.

JustlMe

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Wait, but you bought it off contract. My sister wants to buy it with a 2 year plan.

I don't think any of us can tell you what AT&T will tell your sister if she buys the phone on a two year contract. She would best off calling AT&T and asking. If she has a good account for an extended period of time with AT&T they may approve it.

My wife is French and we go to France a couple of times every year. I get the best rates through Bouygues Telecom when I am in France.

topdogg317

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I recently bought my 1020 from the Microsoft store on a 2 year contract. I called At&t and told them I needed the phone unlocked for a trip to Europe so I could use a local sim card...The service rep directed me to a website saying I could do it myself, well that didn't work, website said phone was not elgible to be unlocked etc....So I called back, got a different service rep, explained how I was going to Europe, verified my info to make sure the phone wasn't stolen or have any outstanding balances, took about 5 minutes, he gave me the unlock code! So it really depends on who you talk to at At&t...I just called the regular support line.

unstoppablekem

Sep 23, 2011
Visit site
I recently bought my 1020 from the Microsoft store on a 2 year contract. I called At&t and told them I needed the phone unlocked for a trip to Europe so I could use a local sim card...The service rep directed me to a website saying I could do it myself, well that didn't work, website said phone was not elgible to be unlocked etc....So I called back, got a different service rep, explained how I was going to Europe, verified my info to make sure the phone wasn't stolen or have any outstanding balances, took about 5 minutes, he gave me the unlock code! So it really depends on who you talk to at At&t...I just called the regular support line.

Alright. Because some say to call the international support. We'll see. I think she will get this, the 5S, or keep her 4S.

petersun21

Dec 4, 2011
Visit site
I have an unlocked 1020 yellow. If someone can buy it from MS store with a camera grip, I can swap mine with that one + the camera grip

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven