How to check if I have UK handset/firmware

justinbarrow

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Hello - This is a first post for me after ordering a Nokia 920 from Amazon. It is to arrive tomorrow and I just wanted to ask here how is it possible to check that the handset is a UK handset running UK firmware.

The reason I ask is that some sellers or Amazon can sell handsets that are not aimed for a particular market and as such may cause problems with the warranty if ever assistance is needed (which I am hoping is not to be)

I once bought a Sony Xperia X10 years ago and sent it in for a repair only to be told that it was a non UK handset and that I had to send it back to a service centre in the country it as aimed at. Just wondered if there is any way when my handset arrives to check that it is a UK handset etc. Thanks for any help on this :)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I would've thought the product code would give you the answer you need. I'm not sure if Navifirm still functions but if it does you could match it there and that will tell you if it's a UK model. Nokia Care Suite is another possibility too.

justinbarrow

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
Got the phone and the instructions are in Italian and the box is in English but there is a white sticker on the back starting "GARANZIA ITALIA" :( but the bar-code on the box has been covered with a new sticker and different IMEI number and says Nokia NEW, anyway this is the info obtained on looking on the phone under "about phone"...

Windows Phone
Nokia Lumia 920
Carrier CV: GB
OS Version: 8.0.10211.204
Firmware Version: 1232.5957.1308.0004
Hardware Revision No: 1.0.0.0
Radio Software Version 1.0.202093.3
Chip SOC Version: 8960

Does this info suggest that this is a UK handset - just worried if its a non UK handset also on first turn on I noticed that it went straight into the tiles so I did a factory reset and it came back in english saying welcome to windows phone.

Thanks again everyone for any help you can give on this, Looks like a great site this :)

justinbarrow

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
059R1W6 product code is for a yellow RM821_EE_UK. Looks good to me.
Enjoy :)

Thanks - It is indeed yellow and it was sold as sim free and is working on my virgin sim wonder why its listed as an RM821 EE UK
I checked via the phone for a software update and it updated but I don't think its Amber as under phone info there is nothing mentioned about amber.

There is also no network branding on the handset even though it looks like an EE UK handset is this normal.

Do you know how I register this with Nokia for the warranty? Cant seem to find out how to - Thanks again for putting mind at ease - Cant get over how smooth the operating system is compared to my previous Android phone (that lagged a lot)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
You may need to call a Nokia Care Centre to confirm your warranty details. They can check the IMEI on their database. If the phone was purchased as new, you should have 2 years warranty remaining.

Not sure on the branding question though...sounds like it's an unlocked EE model??

justinbarrow

Sep 6, 2013
Visit site
You may need to call a Nokia Care Centre to confirm your warranty details. They can check the IMEI on their database. If the phone was purchased as new, you should have 2 years warranty remaining.
Not sure on the branding question though...sounds like it's an unlocked EE model??

Thanks Nick - The reason im a bit suspect is that on the sim card tray I have the code (059R1W6) which as you say looks to be an EE UK handset but yet on the software within the phone its reporting as Firmware Revision: 3047.0000.1326.2007 which according to the Nokia software update page here: Availability in Europe - Nokia
it states my handsets revision number is a country variant handset.

I have done a check mend report using the phones IMEI and everything comes back clean - I am starting to think that maybe the internals have been replaced hence why the code on the phone sim tray is relating to an EE UK handset but yet the internal software relates to a "country variant" version.

I tried to call Nokia care and put in my IMEI number to get support and it transferred me but they are closed until Monday.

Confused - But if all is not 100% I can return within 30 days and get full refund - Thanks again

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Nick - The reason im a bit suspect is that on the sim card tray I have the code (059R1W6) which as you say looks to be an EE UK handset but yet on the software within the phone its reporting as Firmware Revision: 3047.0000.1326.2007 which according to the Nokia software update page here: Availability in Europe - Nokia
it states my handsets revision number is a country variant handset.

I have done a check mend report using the phones IMEI and everything comes back clean - I am starting to think that maybe the internals have been replaced hence why the code on the phone sim tray is relating to an EE UK handset but yet the internal software relates to a "country variant" version.

I tried to call Nokia care and put in my IMEI number to get support and it transferred me but they are closed until Monday.

Confused - But if all is not 100% I can return within 30 days and get full refund - Thanks again

I think you'll be ok, it sounds like a reseller has unlocked an EE handset and as a result it becomes unbranded.

It also looks like you have GDR2 and Amber updates installed.

Anyway, if in doubt, call Nokia again on Monday to confirm.