Upgrading to 1020

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
This might be a pretty stupid question, but since my wife takes more pictures with her Lumia 920 than a pro photographer, I decided to get her an upgrade to the Lumia 1020. It should arrive in a few days. Now she asked me a question I am not sure how to answer: how does she get all her data and apps to the new phone? While pictures are not an issue with SkyDrive, what happens to her apps, texts and stuff like that? Thank you!

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Make sure she has her 920 set to backup app & settings, etc. Setting>Backup is where the option can be found. Then when she sets up her 1020, she'll be given the option to start fresh or utilize her backup. Have her get of WiFi as soon as the setup allows, or it will redownload all her apps on her cellular data. (went over a data cap once with this when I got my Ativ S) And it's just that easy!

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Make sure she sets up the text back up first!

Also all of the apps you've ever downloaded are in your history on Windowsphone.com

leo74

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to let you guys know that it all went great. She seems to like her new phone a lot. Now if only the 1520 will come soon for myself :) Thanks again!

EzreeAmree

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Hm. I wanna change my Lumia 920 to 1020 . But .. Can you give me ur opinion about 1020 apps ? I mean.. like games or social apps.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Texts, phone settings and photos can all follow easily. Just make sure you backup her Lumia 920 first (Settings > Backup > App List + Settings, and then there's Text Messages).

Then once you get the fabulous Lumia 1020, all of the settings will automatically apply, the texts will be recovered, and all of her apps and games will immediately start installing. Sadly, app + game data can't be restored. It's annoying, I wish we could use SkyDrive for that purpose (I've got 25GB free SkyDrive storage, grandfathered in, why can't I use it to save my games and apps data?!).

Mind you, I'm on a serious campaign about this with Microsoft. I haven't spoken to anyone high up enough to really make any difference, but I'm hoping my chance to chat with Panos Panay this Thursday night will be my chance to pass my idea on to someone high up at Microsoft, and hopefully make it happen. Sadly, he's not on the Windows Phone team, so I won't hold my breath, but I'm going to give it my best shot, that's for sure.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12