Excellent accessory for the 1020 if you have the camera grip

profclean2000

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys and Gals. Wanted to share this awesome find I came across. Ordered one the other day and it came in today. YAY!

2 tripods, 1 table top and 1 full size 50". Advertised weight is 1lb for the full size which is awesome and also comes with a carrying bag. $13 which included shipping! Very high quality for such a low price. I initially just wanted a table top one but this was an even better deal. I went to walmart and the best price I could find on a small one was $15...

To be clear I am not a professional and this is the first tripod I have ever purchased so this may be great to me and not so great to someone else. I just wanted to share what was a great deal in my opinion. Let me know what you think. So far I am happy!

Heres the link to the ebay listing.
50" Tripod Pocket Size Flexible Mini Tripod for Camera MPM1 | eBay

MPM1_01.jpg

robamacaf

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Those are quite nice. Right now I'm using just a smaller tripod, the GrorillaPod with the phone and it works well. I have been trying to keep an eye out for a good cheap 'real' tripod and these might do the trick

profclean2000

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I really like it as it allows (smooth) movement in every direction. Here is a close up I was able to take today using the tripod. I have really shaky hands so I am positive this would never have came out otherwise. Not a perfect picture as I am still working NEVER using auto settings again. However the tripod is getting me one step closer

12Windows Phone_20130909_11_18_57_Pro__highres_Fotor_Fotor.jpg

Here is one with the table pod

1Windows Phone_20130907_21_22_59_Pro_Fotor.jpg

Attachments

• WP_20130907_21_22_43_Pro.jpg
    WP_20130907_21_22_43_Pro.jpg
    390.6 KB · Views: 13

ninjaap

Dec 10, 2008
Visit site
Could you please take a picture of the tripod with your 1020 on it? I want to get an idea of how slim the tripod is.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Thanks profclean2000! I ordered this a while back and it showed up yesterday. I did a quick bit of playing around with the full-size tripod last night and it really works quite well. Yeah the construction is kind of cheap and it was a little tough to set the roll adjustment, but overall it works. Great value for the price!

Thanks to this tripod I was finally able to do some good indoor test shots in low light with a variety of ISO and shutter speed combinations. I didn't have much time to mess around with it but I was amazed at the results. At the lowest ISO (100) and longest shutter speed (4 seconds) I was able to get a very bright and clear image despite the poor lighting. Unlike when doing a hand-held shot, the image was not plagued by massive noise. The 1020 is truly a different camera once you put it on a tripod and gain access to the longer shutter speeds.

Of course, I imagined this is probably just how it is when you put any decent camera on a tripod and tweak the settings. But when I tried the same shot with my Canon PowerShot SD780 IS (circa 2009), I found that that camera didn't allow specifying the shutter speed - only the ISO and exposure compensation. At the minimum ISO (80) and maximum exposure compensation, the result was still very dark and nowhere near as clear as the 1020. So this is one area where the 1020 absolutely trounces a real camera. Granted, the SD780 IS is very compact - actually smaller and lighter than the 1020 - and is also 4 years old at this point. I'm kind of curious how other cameras would fare.

The large tripod compacts to a reasonable size and is pretty light. Not ultra compact but it would be pretty easy to stick into a backpack or small to medium sized bag to bring on a trip or hike. Of course, if you're carrying a tripod like this one with you, you could probably take along a real camera too - same thing kind of goes for the camera grip accessory itself. So it might feel kind of strange or conspicuous to set up a tripod and then stick your phone on it. :) But I still think it's cool and I want to try it sometime.

I think the 1020 and future devices like it could really be a nice gateway to learning about photography for many people. For someone who isn't that big into photography, or maybe doesn't get good photo-taking opportunities all that often, it's a lot easier to justify a nice phone with a nice camera than a nice dedicated camera. Then you realize you need to learn some things if you want to really take advantage of the camera you've got - or even just to get passable results depending on the circumstances - and before you know it, you've learned some useful things about photography.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bentecdigital