Sony Experia Z1 vs Lumia 1020 - Z1 Better?

scottygb2k

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, im a huge NokiafFan and own the Lumia 920. I am eagerly awaiting the Lumia 1020 upgrade for the monster camera.

Anyway I just came across this on GSMArena: Sony Xperia Z1 vs Nokia Lumia 1020 shootout surfaces, yields surprising results - GSMArena Blog

It came from this source: Camera comparison: Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Sony Xperia Z1 - tbreak

They are basically saying the Z1 camera is better than the 1020 camera?

Was wondering what you all thought about this? Anyone have any other comparisons of these two cameras? With the 1020 we have something to brag about and tell all our iSheep and Droid friends that Windows Phone is the best for camera phones, it would be a shame to lose that title before its even released in UK.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone, im a huge NokiafFan and own the Lumia 920. I am eagerly awaiting the Lumia 1020 upgrade for the monster camera.

Anyway I just came across this on GSMArena: Sony Xperia Z1 vs Nokia Lumia 1020 shootout surfaces, yields surprising results - GSMArena Blog

It came from this source: Camera comparison: Nokia Lumia 1020 vs Sony Xperia Z1 - tbreak

They are basically saying the Z1 camera is better than the 1020 camera?

Was wondering what you all thought about this? Anyone have any other comparisons of these two cameras? With the 1020 we have something to brag about and tell all our iSheep and Droid friends that Windows Phone is the best for camera phones, it would be a shame to lose that title before its even released in UK.

They say take it with a grain of salt, my grain of salt weighs in at 50KG ... don't dig too much, once the device is out the comparisons will flow in. (and so will the reminder about no official instagram)

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Also please note it is completely subjective to the person taking the shot .. the lens might be smudged , he/she has forgot to set everything at auto etc etc ...

btw just for comparison sakes I like 1020 in some cases in others Z1 looks better

Lumia 1020 is much sharper and better than Z1 below 'IMO' which kind of proves my point. Let's wait and see

Lumia-1020-Scaled-Sample.jpg

Z1
Xperia-Z1-Scaled-Sample.jpg

SanjitVignesh

Apr 18, 2013
Visit site
We have manual controls on the camera. The main problem on the 1020 according to the review seems to be the White Balance. It can be easily changed. We also have bracketing to take multiple images of high resolution and choose the best one later.

If your only interested in the camera, forget websites like GSM Arena, Verge etc. where they always take photos on full auto. Prefer websites like DPReview for reviews dedicated to the camera alone.

The following link is to Steven Alvarez's review of the 1020. He is a professional photographer from the National Geographic.
http://nationalgeographic.com/nokia

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
We have manual controls on the camera. The main problem on the 1020 according to the review seems to be the White Balance. It can be easily changed. We also have bracketing to take multiple images of high resolution and choose the best one later.

If your only interested in the camera, forget websites like GSM Arena, Verge etc. where they always take photos on full auto. Prefer websites like DPReview for reviews dedicated to the camera alone.

The following link is to Steven Alvarez's review of the 1020. He is a professional photographer from the National Geographic.
National Geographic - Nokia

Wow! Thank you for that link, that's awesome!

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
Technology moves fast, especially with smartphones. I wouldn't be too suprised to see the 1020's camera get surpassed in the not too distant future. It's the same with camera's in general, they are simply little computers with lenses, and techonlogy never sleeps.

Steve

scottygb2k

Sep 4, 2012
Visit site
That National Geographic link is pretty awesome. thanks for that.

Im sure all the droid fan boys are going to be all over the Z1 and saying the camera is better. Be nice to see a proper comparison when both phones are released.

Really cant see how it can compete with 41mp's plus OIS and Xenon flash.

In the source there is a link to their actual review of the Z1 and in that review they saying the 1020 is sharper due to the higher resolution. So they already contradicting themselves.

another visitor

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
The comparison is amateurish to say the least. Even then, there are some images where the 1020 is better too. The full-res daylight pic from the 1020 when downsized to the same resolution of the Z1, looks better. The night image is at 4000 ISO for the 1020, while it's 1600 for the Z1.
In any case, those are some of the worst looking images from the 1020 I've ever come across, it can surely do much much better.

chezm

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
from the examples and comparisons posted in both links, i can clearly state the 1020's pictures are much more vivid and colorful than the Z1. Come on...just like Sony in general, their picture quality is always lacking color and vibraness compared to its competitors. I wouldn't even say its a tough comparison, 1020 wins by a landslide.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
They are just afraid to admit it... that 1020 is king of camera now and Z1 can't dethrone it anytime soon.

Maybe ... technology gets outdated very soon. Reverse engineering the best parts of Lumia 1020's camera is a piece of cake , the image processing algorithms is where the magics at.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
from the examples and comparisons posted in both links, i can clearly state the 1020's pictures are much more vivid and colorful than the Z1. Come on...just like Sony in general, their picture quality is always lacking color and vibraness compared to its competitors. I wouldn't even say its a tough comparison, 1020 wins by a landslide.

The shot of the Merc is too saturated IMO.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
The z1 will get close to the 1020 in certain conditions, but overall.. its pretty much no contest. Just like with the N8 and the 808 before it, the 1020 is not a "one trick pony" .. its about flexibility, and the ability to get an acceptable results in different conditions.

Take the z1 to the bar and try to take a shot with the flash... ya.. good luck

seemaboss

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
i am looking at a complete smartfone with basic apps and a good camera... nokia fails here .i wont buy it even if it can shoot nebula galaxy

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
i am looking at a complete smartfone with basic apps and a good camera... nokia fails here .i wont buy it even if it can shoot nebula galaxy

It is up to you what you want to buy and don't want to buy. :) .. if someone wants "basic apps" and a good camera 1020 is the phone IMO :D

For advanced apps and Google services and a good camera S4/One are way better than an unproven Z1

Desmoface

Jul 30, 2013
Visit site
I agree, if you want a basic phone with great camera, that's pretty much the definiton of the 1020.

Steve

It is up to you what you want to buy and don't want to buy. :) .. if someone wants "basic apps" and a good camera 1020 is the phone IMO :D

For advanced apps and Google services and a good camera S4/One are way better than an unproven Z1

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

You're looking at a complete lack of writing skill mate.

Its "smartphone" for starters, secondly, your statement makes no sense, you ask for a basic camera, but wont buy a Nokia "even if it shoot nebula galaxy". Forgetting for a moment that a nebula and a galaxy are two radically different things, you are saying that even though the camera is incredible, you would not buy it because "Nokia fail at that".
Moving on to apps, could you please elaborate as to what would, in your opinion be a "basic app" and why you feel that Nokia "fails at that". I say this as Nokia make very few apps, those they do make are critically acclaimed and among the best reviewed apps on the platform.

Awaiting your reply.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss