Lumia 1020 - UK Release - 12TH September

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Try putting it on with the bottom of the phone about level with the end of the wireless charger. Seems to work fine for me there.

Worked out the problem - wireless pad is fine - wireless charging cover doesn't fit perfectly, have to reposition it so its not quite flush and it then charges fine

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Balls..just found out that O2 will let me cancel the airtime contract at any time without incurring a financial penalty to pay off the rest of the contract.

Only downside is, they're no longer offering the accessory bundle.

Hmmm...what shall I do?

Cancel with Expansys and go for the 64GB model with O2 for a little bit more but forgo the accessory bundle...

Or

Continue with Expansys and forgo the extra 32GB space but enjoy the accessory bundle?

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that cancelling the o2 refresh airtime then pay for the phone plan indeed works. A little hassle as I had to goto the shop and won't do it over the phone.

but worth it for a 64gb model!

Is the phone branded in any way? Does it have any O2/Telefonica markings on?

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Not on the hardware, only the software is branded (Boot screen, o2 apps installed). I assume you could flash a different ROM to remove all o2 branding completely

Thanks.

Gonna pop into town in the morning to make some last minute enquiries with O2. At the moment, my order with Expansys comes to ?605..for a little bit extra, I can get twice the storage but without the accessories.

Sooo conflicted.

buxz777

Mar 5, 2013
Visit site
Thanks.

Gonna pop into town in the morning to make some last minute enquiries with O2. At the moment, my order with Expansys comes to ?605..for a little bit extra, I can get twice the storage but without the accessories.

Sooo conflicted.

there is no conflication mate ...... get the 64gb version it will save hassle in the long run swapping data around , it will be worth more when you sell it as they will be rare etc etc

if it had a micro sd slot then id say take the 32gb and extras .... it doesnt the only way to get more memory is the 64gb version ..... you can always buy the extras later you cant buy the phone any more memory lol ;-)

also will you use the extras? i havent used them lol the phone has to have case to charge it , i dont like the charging case , the wireless charging pad charges slower then the mains charger so that pretty much eliminates the wirless charging extras and the camera case is a nice idea and nice to have but i dont want to leave it on my phone as it adds bulk and not much protection and the phone is a pretty good camera without it , i leave it in my glovebox incase i need extra battery when i am out or will take it to do's where i take a lot of pictures but seriously for the amount i use the extras i would chose the 64gb version all day long

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
there is no conflication mate ...... get the 64gb version it will save hassle in the long run swapping data around , it will be worth more when you sell it as they will be rare etc etc

if it had a micro sd slot then id say take the 32gb and extras .... it doesnt the only way to get more memory is the 64gb version ..... you can always buy the extras later you cant buy the phone any more memory lol ;-)

also will you use the extras? i havent used them lol the phone has to have case to charge it , i dont like the charging case , the wireless charging pad charges slower then the mains charger so that pretty much eliminates the wirless charging extras and the camera case is a nice idea and nice to have but i dont want to leave it on my phone as it adds bulk and not much protection and the phone is a pretty good camera without it , i leave it in my glovebox incase i need extra battery when i am out or will take it to do's where i take a lot of pictures but seriously for the amount i use the extras i would chose the 64gb version all day long

I'll see what happens in the morning but I do agree with most of what you say.

As for the accessories, I will definitely use the camera grip and tripod. Less so the charging plate and shell.

Don't suppose you would be willing to sell your accessories? :)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
I am now the proud owner of a 64GB Lumia 1020!!!

Woohoo.

?100 up front. Singed up for the 12/month 3G tariff and will pay off the remainder of the phone in 7 days for a total cost of ?580.

Result.

Just need to get some accessories now.

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site

Woohoo.

?100 up front. Singed up for the 12/month 3G tariff and will pay off the remainder of the phone in 7 days for a total cost of ?580.

Result.

Awesome news, Nick! What are your impressions of the device?

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Awesome news, Nick! What are your impressions of the device?

Well my initial impressions is the yellow looks great. I haven't really had a chance to get to grips with the camera or features though as I've been busy cancelling my order with Expansys and also requesting an unlock code from O2.

53GBs free space sounds excellent though!! :)

Soulforge

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
Ya, can't believe they shipped all their stock out before emailing us with the bad news. Worse still is that the email said "If however you are happy to take the accessories in the colours above then you can email us and we will ship the current bundle to you immediately (we are unable to select other colours)" but when I replied to them, within minutes, asking for the in-stock colors to be dispatched I was told they couldn't as they had shipped the accessories back to Nokia already. Sounds like a bunch of BS to me.

I recieved the email regarding the accessory pack on the 26th, replied to them (Clove) on the 27th (12am mind you), recieved the phone later that day and i recieved the accessory pack on the 28th. So they were true to their word for me and was extremely impressed with them shipping the bundle out next day for a saturday delivery. I bought the white 1020, so the camera grip and charging plate match up well, the charging cover looks so-so in yellow. but then that is a minor quibble as i only put that on when i charge the phone. The contrast of the white case and black camera/buttons is too awesome to hide behind a case protector.

alpha beta gaga

Mar 7, 2013
Visit site
update on my pre-order with clove

We are pleased to say we have your order for the yellow Nokia 1020 ready to be shipped on Friday.

Regarding the accessory bundle, Nokia has already sent us bundles with different coloured accessories instead of all black (all boxes are the same). This includes a black camera grip, a white charging plate and a yellow charging cover. As you will have a yellow phone, you may be happy to accept this bundle.

However, we have contacted Nokia who are preparing a new accessory bundle which will be all black as advertised. If you would prefer to wait for the black bundle, we will ship your 1020 on Friday and send the black bundle on the 9th/10th October. Please would you email us straight back if you wish to wait for this bundle. We apologise for the issue on behalf of Nokia.

We confirm that if we do not hear from you, we will send the multi bundle on Friday.

Regards

:cool:

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site

Woohoo.

Result.

nice one Nick and worth doing especially since you were gonna pay more for a 32gb from expandsys. Not sure how you managed to get a 12 month tarriff as only choice was 24 for me, but didn't matter anyway. make sure you cancel the airtime WITHIN 7 days. Get onto o2 unlocked page (I think the link is on page 2) to get it unlocked, or chat online with them and you get it sooner (I got mine within 24 hrs)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
nice one Nick and worth doing especially since you were gonna pay more for a 32gb from expandsys. Not sure how you managed to get a 12 month tarriff as only choice was 24 for me, but didn't matter anyway. make sure you cancel the airtime WITHIN 7 days. Get onto o2 unlocked page (I think the link is on page 2) to get it unlocked, or chat online with them and you get it sooner (I got mine within 24 hrs)

I meant ?12/month. It is a 24 month contract.

I thought I cancelled after 7 days?? The guy in the shop said to call after 7 days to pay the remaining balance 20*?24 then I would be free to cancel the airtime agreement.

Had some other unexpected but rather excellent news but I won't share for the time being though.

Anyway, not overly impressed with the camera thus far. I'm comparing the quality to the 808 and it just doesn't seem to be quite a good. There seems to be a bit of noise on the images I have taken. I'm pleased that the doesn't seem to be any obvious white balance issues though. The clouds were overblown on one image I took but the others in auto mode were decent enough in that respect.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I thought I cancelled after 7 days?? The guy in the shop said to call after 7 days to pay the remaining balance 20*?24 then I would be free to cancel the airtime agreement.
Tried to find the T&C online as I thought you had to cancel within 7 days. I think it meant if you wanted to return the item back (but in your case, you want to keep it). Maybe its a shop bought thing, whereas mine was via online - different T&C I think.

Anyway, not overly impressed with the camera thus far. I'm comparing the quality to the 808 and it just doesn't seem to be quite a good. There seems to be a bit of noise on the images I have taken. I'm pleased that the doesn't seem to be any obvious white balance issues though. The clouds were overblown on one image I took but the others in auto mode were decent enough in that respect.
I don't think its too bad to honest of what people made out. There is a hint of yellowness, and to get around was to increase ISO or something like that. this forum has lots of good info! the 808 and 925 people say produces better photo then 1020 - jury is out on that as I can't compare as I had neither!

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Guys, to clarify, the O2 Refresh tariff can be cancelled at any time once you've settled the phone plan. Before or after 7 days doesn't matter.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett