Huge Amazon device sale! Shop all the discounts now

09-15-2013 03:42 AM
89 1234
tools
    If you are in ur home plug charger always it will not affect ur phone battery.
    09-10-2013 11:26 AM
    I got 36 hours out of my 1020 the other day. I consider myself to be a heavy user. No complaints here!
    metalchick719, IT87 and LewLew23 like this.
    09-10-2013 11:34 AM
    I'm amazed at what you say. As you've got all the uses 'off' it sounds as though it might be a faulty battery.

Can you change your unit under warranty? I have the same phone and mine is great, even better (non scientific assessment) after the recent GDR2 update.

I'd get a shop to assess it before swapping it.
    09-10-2013 11:43 AM
    I'm not sure how old your 920 is, but Lithium Ion batteries have a pretty short shelf life, even if all they are doing is sitting there. I've read anywhere from 1 to 3 years, and they start aging the day they are made. I've experienced this buying old batteries for my laptop from dealers who let them sit around too long. Have you tried another battery? Sometimes even when you buy a new battery, its been sitting on the shelf a year or two, so you have to be careful where you buy it, as well. Probably best to buy from a dealer that has a high turnover.
    Last edited by Smyrna5; 09-10-2013 at 12:21 PM.
    09-10-2013 11:56 AM
    We have two 920s in the house and wouldn't change either of them for something else. Both phones can go a day and a half between charges, although we generally just charge them every night. The rare time that we have had some funky battery drain simply doing a soft reset has solved the problem. Like someone else pointed out it seems that when that happens it is some random location/app thing has caused the problem. Generally speaking the only time we get heavier drain on the batteries is when using either Bluetooth or GPS functions.
    09-10-2013 12:15 PM
    My 920 was getting very bad battery life up until I replaced it last Sunday. My new 1020 is giving me over 2 days per charge. I'm very pleased.
    metalchick719 likes this.
    09-10-2013 02:45 PM
    My experience is some Apps (FB, FB Beta, Kik Msgr, Skype, Temple Run etc.) make phone HOT and it drains battery like CRAZY. Keeping location services ON all the time is BIG NO NO as most of the times the background tasks keep accessing it and phone runs warm. But if you quit those apps using back button and stop using phone for 5 mins, mine usually cools off and goes back to 1%/hour levels.

This is mostly Lumia 9x HW platform issue because 520, 620 HTC 8X folks don't seem to complain as much..

Finally if its under warranty it would make sense to get it replaced.
    09-10-2013 02:57 PM
    Absolutely not; the various levels of drain suck, but not enough to make me want to go elsewhere. I like WP and I like the camera too much. I just make sure to have my Solio external battery nearby when I think I might not be able to charge via car or outlet.

For me I get the worst drain after I charge using the wireless charger (L920) and randomly when I'm in a different coverage area. It's weird, in one 4G area I had great battery life, but then in another 4G area I had awful drain. I mean, it was like twice as worse as when I'm in LTE, which is known to cause higher battery drain.

Charging on my PC via USB seems to give me the longest lasting charge of roughly 15 hours of decent use.

Settings: NFC off, Wifi off, BT off, battery saver allowed, brightness high without auto adjust, allowed background tasks: Enless Battery, Weather Channel, Bing Weather. Battery does not seem to affect performance at all as I was seeing the same percentages of decline before I got it, but got it mostly because I like the numeric display of battery status.
    09-10-2013 04:03 PM
    I get 5,84% (basically one whole day 17h) on average as of the battery app, and I'm not conservative with the battery at all. I play games, take photos, share internet, playing music, navigate and a lot more, all with BT, Wifi, Positioning, NFC (all about 70% of the time) and probably more that I forget to turn off when not in use. I charge mainly with the wireless charger. I must have a superphone compared to some!

So no, I'm happy with the battery life so far.
    09-10-2013 04:23 PM
    My first l920 would heat up so much while playing games that it would actually discharge while plugged in.

As I learned from over clocking my android -No 2 CPUs are the same.
    So I exchanged mine with Rogers and got a refurb that still heats up a bit but doesn't drain the same way.

I personally believe that wp8 overclocks the CPU to make up for it being a used up dual core. So when you get a phone with a lesser CPU and mix in an app that's CPU intensive or badly written, it drives up the heat and drains the hell out of the battery.
    09-10-2013 05:15 PM
    If battery life bothers me I just carry around a 6000MHz external battery thats small enough to Easley fit in my pocket, with a retractable cable...problem solved.

If my battery life is SOOO bad that I have to carry 4 external batteries...I wont ditch the os but rather use my warranty that I was promised when I handed over my hard earned cash... You should never be scared or reluctant to use your warranty, it's your friend that gives you unlimited free repairs (provided no physical or liquid damage)....I honestly don't understand why people just wont use their warranties. That's what they are there for.
    Last edited by Stalemate 1; 09-11-2013 at 03:21 AM.
    09-10-2013 05:37 PM
    Well its either gonna be the pathetic battery life due to the poorly optimized os/apps or the fact that wp8 looks all win95 compared to ioS7 when it comes to built in software features
    09-10-2013 05:41 PM
    If battery life bothers me I just carry around a 6000MHz external battery thats small enough to Easley fit in my pocket, with a retractable cable...problem solved.

If my battery life is SOOO bad that I have to carry 4 external batteries...I wont ditch the os but rather use my warranty that I was promised when I handed over my hard earned cash... You should never be scared or reluctant to use your warrant, it's your friend that gives you unlimited free repairs (provided no physical or liquid damage)....I honestly don't understand why people just wont use their warranties. That's what they are there for.
    exactly.

I don't know why people keep giving tips like turn off NFC. ...well no. ...I paid for NFC, I'm gonna use NFC!

...oh wait, I've never used NFC. But that's not the point!
    09-10-2013 05:56 PM
    Sometimes I get bad battery drain (10-12 hours), but normally I get 20+ hours. I leave everything on, including NFC, bluetooth,, skype, facebook, etc... Also, my usage consists of 50-100 texts a day, and I primarily use facebook, whatsapp, baconit and fuse, and IE which are pretty taxing.

Long story short, I think your device is bad. I unplug my phone at 9AM, plug it in at 1AM with 20-30% remaining.
    09-10-2013 07:57 PM
    I have excellent battery life on both Lumia 920. Get through the day just fine. Disabled NFC and Suggestions in settings. Maybe I live in strong LTE area.
    09-10-2013 09:18 PM
    I had to get a new phone under warranty because of battery heating issues. New phone works excellent. Try going through warranty.
    09-10-2013 09:50 PM
    Good to here it works excellent. I only recently started getting really good battery on my phone despite having a good number of push services on (when they work). I found Evernote completely destroyed my battery in a matter of hours when it was installed. Uninstalled it right away and didn't have too many issues after, it might be smart to think about what apps might runaway with battery.

I had to get a new phone under warranty because of battery heating issues. New phone works excellent. Try going through warranty.
    09-11-2013 12:51 AM
    Yes, if all else fails....use your warranty.
    Last edited by Stalemate 1; 09-11-2013 at 03:45 AM.
    09-11-2013 03:23 AM
    Nope....20+ hours consistently isn't anything to grumble about considering the hammering I give the phone every day.
    09-11-2013 03:32 AM
    Have you tried switching off 4G/LTE ? Set it to a permanent 3G network rather, or even better...EDGE. your phone will have much better network coverage, meaning it will not have to search as hard for network coverage. WARNING: edge is very very very very very slow when browsing so turn off images when you have edge, so as to drastically increase browsing speed. Stay away from YouTube.
    09-11-2013 03:50 AM
    Have you tried switching off 4G/LTE ? Set it to a permanent 3G network rather, or even better...EDGE. your phone will have much better network coverage, meaning it will not have to search as hard for network coverage. WARNING: edge is very very very very very slow when browsing so turn off images when you have edge, so as to drastically increase browsing speed. Stay away from YouTube.
    Thanks dude but like I said I have done ALL of the tips, I don't have 4G on for that reason, so no, it's not that.

Stay away from YouTube? No, I want a phone that can access YouTube, besides it's never affected the battery any more than any other site.

I am still in warranty thanks to all who've mentioned this point. I have no problem using it either it's just a last resort as I have so much stuff on this phone and it's just a pain to set it all up again which I was trying to avoid but it looks like I'll be going down that route after all.

Thanks again to all for sharing.
    Last edited by how1ard; 09-11-2013 at 04:12 AM.
    09-11-2013 03:55 AM
    If you are in ur home plug charger always it will not affect ur phone battery.
    For anyone reading this, don't do that ^^^^^. I've done my research on these batteries and one way to shorten it's life is to keep charging it, either overnight or pit stop top up charges. Don't run the battery too low (below 20%) if you can and always try and charge it fully, that advice is actually on the Nokia site
    Nokia Lumia 920 - User Guide - Nokia Lumia 920 - Extend battery life - Nokia - UK

Mind you it hasn't made any difference to mine, what do I know!
    09-11-2013 04:05 AM
    I've had my 920 since release, and i reguarly get 3 days out of a single battery charge with lots of usage, it runs rings around the missus' iphone, except when playing games, which seem to drain the battery at a stupid rate..

Most important tips i have, are turn everything you don't need off. My wifi is on 24/7, everything else is turned on, on-demand. And biggest of all, always charge the phone to 100%. There's something weird, that means even if there's only a tiny segment of the battery bar empty, it will give me far worse performance than a full battery.
    09-11-2013 04:20 AM
    The big box in my checklist when looking for a phone is battery life, you don't want to own a phone that needs to eat atleast 48 hours in a day and loose battery like its suffering from severe diarrhea.

I know 920 has gigantic hardware, no doubt about it but they missed 1 thing, inserting proper battery :(, even am eyeing a 1020 (Am on 720 currently, since mid April) but saw that it has the same battery 720 has but again gigantic hardware, which means I'll loose more juice.

A possible solution is portable charger/power bank?

P.S. - You are a theef man...LOL (Funny username :p)
    Last edited by montsa007; 09-11-2013 at 05:39 AM.
    how1ard likes this.
    09-11-2013 05:28 AM
    I've had my 920 since release, and i reguarly get 3 days out of a single battery charge with lots of usage, it runs rings around the missus' iphone, except when playing games, which seem to drain the battery at a stupid rate..

Most important tips i have, are turn everything you don't need off. My wifi is on 24/7, everything else is turned on, on-demand. And biggest of all, always charge the phone to 100%. There's something weird, that means even if there's only a tiny segment of the battery bar empty, it will give me far worse performance than a full battery.
    You must be god, I never ever got that kind of battery performance on any of my devices till date, tinkered one setting and everything fell down like a castle of cards :(
    how1ard likes this.
    09-11-2013 05:30 AM
89 1234