Is poor battery performance enough to drive you away from Windowsphone and the Lumia 920/1020?

jtran51

Dec 2, 2012
Visit site
Good to here it works excellent. I only recently started getting really good battery on my phone despite having a good number of push services on (when they work). I found Evernote completely destroyed my battery in a matter of hours when it was installed. Uninstalled it right away and didn't have too many issues after, it might be smart to think about what apps might runaway with battery.

I had to get a new phone under warranty because of battery heating issues. New phone works excellent. Try going through warranty.

stalemate1

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried switching off 4G/LTE ? Set it to a permanent 3G network rather, or even better...EDGE. your phone will have much better network coverage, meaning it will not have to search as hard for network coverage. WARNING: edge is very very very very very slow when browsing so turn off images when you have edge, so as to drastically increase browsing speed. Stay away from YouTube.

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Have you tried switching off 4G/LTE ? Set it to a permanent 3G network rather, or even better...EDGE. your phone will have much better network coverage, meaning it will not have to search as hard for network coverage. WARNING: edge is very very very very very slow when browsing so turn off images when you have edge, so as to drastically increase browsing speed. Stay away from YouTube.

Thanks dude but like I said I have done ALL of the tips, I don't have 4G on for that reason, so no, it's not that.

Stay away from YouTube? No, I want a phone that can access YouTube, besides it's never affected the battery any more than any other site.

I am still in warranty thanks to all who've mentioned this point. I have no problem using it either it's just a last resort as I have so much stuff on this phone and it's just a pain to set it all up again which I was trying to avoid but it looks like I'll be going down that route after all.

Thanks again to all for sharing.

Last edited:

how1ard

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
If you are in ur home plug charger always it will not affect ur phone battery.

For anyone reading this, don't do that ^^^^^. I've done my research on these batteries and one way to shorten it's life is to keep charging it, either overnight or pit stop top up charges. Don't run the battery too low (below 20%) if you can and always try and charge it fully, that advice is actually on the Nokia site
Nokia Lumia 920 - User Guide - Nokia Lumia 920 - Extend battery life - Nokia - UK

Mind you it hasn't made any difference to mine, what do I know! :wink:

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 920 since release, and i reguarly get 3 days out of a single battery charge with lots of usage, it runs rings around the missus' iphone, except when playing games, which seem to drain the battery at a stupid rate..

Most important tips i have, are turn everything you don't need off. My wifi is on 24/7, everything else is turned on, on-demand. And biggest of all, always charge the phone to 100%. There's something weird, that means even if there's only a tiny segment of the battery bar empty, it will give me far worse performance than a full battery.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
The big box in my checklist when looking for a phone is battery life, you don't want to own a phone that needs to eat atleast 48 hours in a day and loose battery like its suffering from severe diarrhea.

I know 920 has gigantic hardware, no doubt about it but they missed 1 thing, inserting proper battery :(, even am eyeing a 1020 (Am on 720 currently, since mid April) but saw that it has the same battery 720 has but again gigantic hardware, which means I'll loose more juice.

A possible solution is portable charger/power bank?

P.S. - You are a theef man...LOL (Funny username :p)

Last edited:

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've had my 920 since release, and i reguarly get 3 days out of a single battery charge with lots of usage, it runs rings around the missus' iphone, except when playing games, which seem to drain the battery at a stupid rate..

Most important tips i have, are turn everything you don't need off. My wifi is on 24/7, everything else is turned on, on-demand. And biggest of all, always charge the phone to 100%. There's something weird, that means even if there's only a tiny segment of the battery bar empty, it will give me far worse performance than a full battery.

You must be god, I never ever got that kind of battery performance on any of my devices till date, tinkered one setting and everything fell down like a castle of cards :(

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
To answer the OP's question, no. Amber seems to have brought stability to the battery on my 920 so no real complaints.

Pieter Wolff

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Now that is exactly the reason why I've chosen the 720 over any other Lumia. The big battery that will last me easely 24-48 hours with everything on continuesly. Here in South Africa we don't yet get LTE so 3G is the fastest connection possible. The only battery saving I do is switching on flight mode at night. Of course evereybody's choice is a matter of prioreties. After my N9 which battery was empty in no time I decided that a long battery life was my first priorety....

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
Ha, if I was driven away from a phone because of battery performance I would've dropped Android a long time ago! Since I work at a desk battery life isn't very important to me. In my experience, I've had problems with random sudden battery drains with WP, but not with Android since I've switched to Nexus devices. I guess I'd rather have the consistency I've had with Android than the uncertainty of WP.

VisualD

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
12 tough (GPS, Data, Spotify, Wifi, Web, BT, NFC etc) hours so far today and 46% (almost nine hours with current rate) left, no problem at all. I think I have a good copy.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I just posted here, Im going to try my luck at replacing the device for the thrid time !!!! this is annoying!!!

for all those people that get really good battery life, please post the following.

what apps do you have installed ??
what services features do you have enabled (wifi, bluetooth, nfc, etc) ???
what background tasks are you running ???
what accounts do you have configured on your phone (facebook, twitter, hotmail, gmail, exchange) ???

what if all of us with bad battery life must be doing something in common that these people aren't, lets see if we can pinpoint a common app or service ???

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I just posted here, Im going to try my luck at replacing the device for the thrid time !!!! this is annoying!!!

for all those people that get really good battery life, please post the following.

what apps do you have installed ??
what services features do you have enabled (wifi, bluetooth, nfc, etc) ???
what background tasks are you running ???
what accounts do you have configured on your phone (facebook, twitter, hotmail, gmail, exchange) ???

what if all of us with bad battery life must be doing something in common that these people aren't, lets see if we can pinpoint a common app or service ???

Do you guys with the battery life problems suffer from this every day? I get bad battery drain every once in a while, like once or twice a week, but not every day. I don't think there is a specific culprit app wise. I have all services turned on(i.e. nfc, bluetooth, location, xbox, sensitivity, etc...) and use facebook, skype, whatsapp and a host of other battery hogging apps, and I get 20 hours on average.

revfast

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
Its happened couple of times a week,

Do you guys with the battery life problems suffer from this every day? I get bad battery drain every once in a while, like once or twice a week, but not every day. I don't think there is a specific culprit app wise. I have all services turned on(i.e. nfc, bluetooth, location, xbox, sensitivity, etc...) and use facebook, skype, whatsapp and a host of other battery hogging apps, and I get 20 hours on average.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise