Is the 920 obsolete.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
I still consider the 920 to be the true flagship device. Built in wireless charging, no camera bump on the back, etc. It's still the best all-around WP in my opinion.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
obsolete?? of course not!

even though 920 already has 1year of life (pratically), even the newest phones (s4 and sony's Z1) can't match 920's camera! OIS, carl zeis lens, much more faster/fluid system than android, run apps better and still is the best phone with a camera on it! (not camera phone, like 1020)..

If the 920 is obselete, so every others flagship are too! 920 is the most incredible phone I've ever used, and I use to LOVE iphone, but after 920.. android or iOS never more!

Well, most phones can't match the N8s camera either, which is like 3 years ago when it was released :p The N8 actually outshoots the 920 in the usual still shots and shooting moving targets (Xenon flash is better for that than dual LED), but I value the OIS of the 920 and the video light to an extent too (N8 couldnt be used as a flashlight due to Xenon).

rohirrimp

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
yes it will become obsolete in probably the next 6 or 8 months for people wanting to purchase a new phone. However, people who already own it need not worry coz we will get the 8.1 update. Also the hardware specs of our beloved lumia 920 will be quite good for some time. Atleast for me, I think the lumia 920 will be all i ever need for a couple of years from now. Dual core processor and 1gb ram will go a long way. I only miss removable storage a little bit and less weight a tiny bit. I hope i am making sense. I am sooo happy coming back to nokia from Samsung. I think i am a nokia fan.

6Kings

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Wireless charging is like the biggest benefit to me and I use it all the time. Having it optional is a step in the wrong direction so I wouldn't upgrade to anything else. The only issue I have is actually using the 920 as a phone as the noise cancelling microphone and volume on the earpiece for calls is causing me a lot of problems. I have to use a bluetooth headset to be able to hear and speak consistently. Other than those issues, I LOVE this phone and OS.

daveakowalski

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Lumia 920/925/928 are fully featured units (though 925 sadly misses integrated wireless charging).

Budget WP8 devices run from $100-150 off a contract, contain low resolution screens, 512mb memory, a poor(er) camera, sometimes even no flash, but they generally run the platform still wonderfully.

If your post is implying that the Lumia 1020 has made the 920 obselete, I would say that the 1020 is more a niche phone for serious picture enthusiasts (those of use less enthused with having a bulky 41mp camera on the back our phones would opt for the 920/5/8 instead). Hardware wise and performance wise, excluding the camera, the 920, 925, 928, and 1020 are all very, very similar, and by no means obselete.

uopjo6

Jan 5, 2012
Visit site
Heeellll no. 920 is more sexy, smooth and the best all around phone in the line up. Camera is better than other phones out there except the bigger brother 1020. Integrated Qi. Best camera under a smooth 1cm case. Perfect size.

Own this for almost a year and it still feels up to date compared to recent competition.

1020 is only superior with the camera and not something the majority needs. More $$$ too.

920 all the way.

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
It may no longer be the top-of-line, but it certainly is still top tier. I'm surprised that ATT is selling the 925 at $99 since it's basically a metal-cased GDR2 920 with one extra camera lens and half the internal storage. If the fact that the 920 at ATT is now $49 makes it budget, ok, but when I think budget I'm thinking free (like the 820 was, but I don't see the 820 on ATT's site anymore).

It will be obsolete when there are no more updates and when you can't get new apps or support for it (when WP8 becomes obsolete).

Right now I think it just happens to be the cheapest of the 92X's. And that's not a bad thing at all, and totally expected since it was the first one out.

Unfortunately it's also the last one to get that sweet sweet Nokia ProCamera :( (well... i've got the app, now if ATT would just push out Amber so i can use it!!)

pseudoware

Mar 3, 2011
Visit site
What did you mean when you said obsolete?

I meant "let's stir the pot and get some reaction" ;-)

Honestly, maybe not the best word choice. I appreciate all the input. I have a 920 and like it a lot. Like anyone else, I guess I get a little dismayed seeing newer devices hit the shelves while mine drops in price. The replies help keep it real.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

daveakowalski

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
It will be obsolete when there are no more updates and when you can't get new apps or support for it (when WP8 becomes obsolete).

With regards to this, IIRC, MS said that support for WP8 would extend at least 36 months, which should more than cover the lifecycle of your device.

Honestly, maybe not the best word choice. I appreciate all the input. I have a 920 and like it a lot. Like anyone else, I guess I get a little dismayed seeing newer devices hit the shelves while mine drops in price. The replies help keep it real.

This is a fair statement, and I think something that is just a matter of fact phenomenon, not just with mobility, but most computing and electronics, as well as things like cars. The development and release cycles on mobility products goes at about a million miles an hour, and it's hard to make a purchase and feel like you aren't behind the curve within the first 3 months of ownership.

I feel for you, but back to what nohra said, so long as they keep software updates coming, I think there is a lot of potential still to be unleashed from your handset... With GDR3 really not that far off, and screenshots of Win8.1 already surfaced, I don't think you should be too disappointed...

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I meant "let's stir the pot and get some reaction" ;-)

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

Okay, from that stance this thread makes a tin more sense. I remember when I was still rocking my Samsung Focus S, then the Nokia 900 came out, then WP8 was announced.... That made a device obsolete.

But you know what? I loved my "S" and enjoyed it. You sound like you enjoy your 920. It will be supported. Always remember: Your device started it all. WP8 was trumpeted into prime time when people saw Nokia rock it on YOUR device.

philharmonik

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since release date and it keeps getting better with all the updates. Still one of the best cameras available on a smartphone too, next to the 1020. I keep waiting for the OS to lag or start slowing down, but its still super smooth!

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
The 920 is not any more outdated than any electronic device you purchase today, you really can't keep up with the advance's in processors, storage, ram, hard drives and O/S's. It has not been that many years since the bag phone, now look what we have. I can remember when hard drives were measured in MB, then GB and now TB. The speed and ability of processors doubles in only over a year now. If we could see into the future 10 years from now it would be unbelievable of what's going to happen, I'd say we are going to be wearing them instead of holding a phone in our hand.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't call it obsolete for general-use, but it is obsolete as a flagship. It launched with a SoC from over 6 months before its time. It runs on lesser hardware (as far as CPU/GPU is concerned), when compared to the high-end Android devices. It's been out almost a year, and will be replaced soon. It is a mid-range phone, no doubt about it. It's at the price point it should be, considering it has Galaxy S III internals with an improved camera, just as the 925 (with a lighter frame) and 928 (with arguably-better speaker placement and Xenon flash) do. It's the mid-range to the 1020's upper-mid range (it has similar internals, but with an elite camera). The 1520 SHOULD launch with the true high-end parts the competition is rolling with, and we'll maybe see a 930 or something in a few months, which maybe carries the Snapdragon 600 in the Galaxy S4.

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
My 920 is....Because of the old hardware, no wireless charger wants to work with it. All WIFI is now only 'ac' so I have to use cellular all the time. Facebook only accepts 100mp photos so I can't do that anymore. Bing is being taken offline in a couple weeks. My "Live Tiles" are dead. My "Me Tile" shows somebody else. WPCentral is about to join WebOS Nation. The NFC on my 920 now stands for "Not Functioning Correctly."

On a brighter note, AT&T now considers it a feature phone, so I don't have to pay for data anymore.

glidingsideways

Nov 6, 2011
Visit site
I was in love with the phone at first, I still have not recieved Amber or GDR2 updates from AT@T. But after seeing all the features on the iphones and the samsung galaxy S3/S4.. WP8 still has a mountain to climb. I like my lumia 920 dont get me wrong.. but I am very displeased that they released xbox music and not allowing Zune support at all on the WP8. If they an add some more helpful built in phone features like blocking calls at certain hours or not allowing private calls to come in I would really appreciate those helpful tools. I am a big music guy and my phone is used for pod casts and music 70-80% of the batteries usage and it still imo does not offer the user experience that my Samsung Focus S offered. I have faith they will get it eventually.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
My 920 is....Because of the old hardware, no wireless charger wants to work with it. All WIFI is now only 'ac' so I have to use cellular all the time. Facebook only accepts 100mp photos so I can't do that anymore. Bing is being taken offline in a couple weeks. My "Live Tiles" are dead. My "Me Tile" shows somebody else. WPCentral is about to join WebOS Nation. The NFC on my 920 now stands for "Not Functioning Correctly."

On a brighter note, AT&T now considers it a feature phone, so I don't have to pay for data anymore.

What in the world, are you on drugs? I'm not sure what you're talking about with this AT ALL.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I was in love with the phone at first, I still have not recieved Amber or GDR2 updates from AT@T. But after seeing all the features on the iphones and the samsung galaxy S3/S4.. WP8 still has a mountain to climb. I like my lumia 920 dont get me wrong.. but I am very displeased that they released xbox music and not allowing Zune support at all on the WP8. If they an add some more helpful built in phone features like blocking calls at certain hours or not allowing private calls to come in I would really appreciate those helpful tools. I am a big music guy and my phone is used for pod casts and music 70-80% of the batteries usage and it still imo does not offer the user experience that my Samsung Focus S offered. I have faith they will get it eventually.

1. GDR2: Can't fault the device for AT&T's laziness (that's coming from someone in the same boat as you with that update).
2. iPhone: Which iPhone features? Beyond that silly fingerprint thing, I'm not sure what you're getting at.
3. S III/S4: The S III has nothing I care for, on the features side. The S4 has some neat things, but I must also say that it's not all that great, in my opinion. The only thing I want from it in my 920 is the Snapdragon 600. The Smart Stay's not a big deal to me, and the IR blaster's about all I'd want beyond the SoC upgrade.
5. Xbox Music: On my phone, Xbox Music doesn't bother me one bit. I don't do podcasts, so maybe that's your issue, but the playback and UI of the music player is 100% acceptable for me.
6. GDR2 Features: Didn't call blocking (though only by number) come with GDR2? Also, flip-to-silence (another GDR2 thing) should allow for nighttime silencing, no? It's not as-great as what I expect you'd like (not sure if leaving it face-down all night works), it should do a reasonable job.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
And we'll have the same thread when Nokia launches another flagship asking if 1020 is dead...
Come on, time takes a toll on every piece of technology, its not obsolete, but the kingdom it ruled has shrunk.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo