Is the 920 obsolete.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I find the 920 better than the 925 because it has more memory 32 gigs vs 16. the only other difference on the inside of the 925 the camera has an extra lens to make better pics.

The Lumia 920 has built in charging and can also act like a brick if you want to throw it through a window :) The 925 would just bounce off that window :D

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
And we'll have the same thread when Nokia launches another flagship asking if 1020 is dead...
Come on, time takes a toll on every piece of technology, its not obsolete, but the kingdom it ruled has shrunk.

There is something to be said about that obsolescence, though. That would be, of course, that we don't have a replacement device. The 1020's camera is great and all, but its non-camera guts leave a lot to be desired, as the SoC is that SAME SoC from early-2012--the one found in the Galaxy S III, Windows Phone 8 Lumias 810-928, and the Blackberry Z10. The Galaxy S4 and HTC One are arguably mid-cycle right now, and they're running stuff that can benchmark at twice the level of the MSM 8960 I'm talking about.

I know that the 1520 is coming, but there is potential that it won't do THAT well, considering the screen. In addition, we don't know if it will be a Snapdragon 600 or 800 device. If it's a 600, then we're AGAIN talking about lagging hardware, as the competing devices in that size bracket (namely, the Note 3) are running the 800. Regardless, we need a proper 92x successor NOW, because the release cycle of Windows Phone hardware is off from the competition, meaning we're seeing Windows Phone devices release 6-8 months into that 12-month cycle for the competition, and when it DOES do that, it release "me-too" specs, rather than giving a compelling set of hardware over what has been out since March.

knowname

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
yes it will become obsolete in probably the next 6 or 8 months for people wanting to purchase a new phone. However, people who already own it need not worry coz we will get the 8.1 update. Also the hardware specs of our beloved lumia 920 will be quite good for some time. Atleast for me, I think the lumia 920 will be all i ever need for a couple of years from now. Dual core processor and 1gb ram will go a long way. I only miss removable storage a little bit and less weight a tiny bit. I hope i am making sense. I am sooo happy coming back to nokia from Samsung. I think i am a nokia fan.

phones made 2 years ago had 1.5 dual core processing with 1 gb of ram....some of the newer devices on the horizon have 8 cores

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
As stated on the front page, the 925 is a sister device and shouldn't be a replacement device. They are about the same with a better camera on the 925.

Better screen (LCD > AMOLED) (imho), more memory and wireless charging on the 920.

FBirraque

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
As stated on the front page, the 925 is a sister device and shouldn't be a replacement device. They are about the same with a better camera on the 925.

Better screen (LCD > AMOLED) (imho), more memory and wireless charging on the 920.

After update mine L920 with Amber I'm not so confident that L925 really has a built in better camera.
Almost the same.

loveleo

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Just bought one luckily still in warranty. Currently at Nokia repair to fix the front camera dust issue. Other than that, no complaints. Sure hope att will approve amber soon.

Sent from my lumia 521 using Tapatalk

Manny C

May 2, 2013
Visit site
I believe this phone has a lot of life left in it. The 920 will be just as good next year as it is now. Even at this point, the Lumia 920 is the all in one: a great camera, wireless charging, and beautiful design.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
1 they did not
2 8 cores on android , and its still laggy
3 performance isn't purely CPU

true-story-new-240x180.png

Sayyid Shoaib

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
I just bought a Nokia 920 lumia in black and one of my main reason for the purchase was the minimum update support cycle of 36 months and beyond if were ever lucky to get WP9 which i think we will get some if not all features. To me obsolete as many have expressed already means when a product has stopped been given it's support.

When Nokia and Microsoft (or shall I say Microsokia lol :winktongue: ) stop showing their love for us Lumia 920 owners probably in 2016 (when most will be out of contract even if 2 years) then we can put this baby to rest, until then enjoy the WP8 experience and hopefully updates by next year will bring us much needed functionality to make WP8 a viable 3rd OS contender against Android and iOs (not saying WP8 is all lacking but theres plenty more polish needing)

jbjtkbw007

Mar 10, 2012
Visit site
I absolutely adore my 920. By no means is it budget tier. It does so much and the photos, even though not 1020 quality, are amazing. Blows away my 900. I have wireless charging on my night stand and at my desk at work. I still get asked about it and people just adore it (even the iphone users). This phone is rock solid and literally, one of the best phones I've truly ever owned. I haven't loved a device as much since the 900 or my first OG Droid by Motorola.

rohirrimp

Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I absolutely adore my 920. By no means is it budget tier. It does so much and the photos, even though not 1020 quality, are amazing.

yeah me too :) Agreed. Iphone 4 used to hurt me when I held it in my hand. I'm sure people like me who don't want to keep their phones in their pockets will get blisters. Our 920 is so curvy that it feels so good while holding it :D

TaichiSurface

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Honestly, no it's not it's starting to feel a bit old but GDR2+Amber changed all that, they brought practical function that I actually care about. I.E smartcam + procam and the ability to record in stereo. All these made my phone once again super awesome (it was awesome already). Can't wait for GDR3 and WP8.1, boy, that would really change this phone like what iOS7 did to iPhones (I know I know...pfttt iPhones but seriously, the design is pretty and they largely borrowed it from WP8)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb