Only EDGE with 1020 on TMO

mikkopel

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I bought a Lumia 1020 off-contract from Amazon. I'm on T-Mobile so I unlocked it, and started setting it up.

But I am only getting EDGE connectivity with it. In the Cellular Settings the menu option is hidden, and in the ##3282# menu if I select any of the non-2G options, I get no connectivity. Only EDGE.

In my area there definitely TMO LTE service... Any suggestions? I tried booting the phone up without a SIM, then rebooting again with it, but it didn't help. Maybe a hard reset...

mikkopel

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I did try the Access Point App, and it didn't help. But I think I know why: when I went to work, I got LTE service. So that was working. So I think my home is in an area that didn't get the TMO refarm yet, so that's why I don't get anything but EDGE here, since LTE wasn't available at my home either.

kevinn206

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat. I thought I would at least get HSPDA, or 3G... But 2G?!?!??!? (I get HSPDA (a.k.a. poor man's 4G) on AT&T at my house. Wow, I guess it is true what they say about T-Mobile. I am really shocked.

Tmobile HSPDA+ is on the 1700 band whereas AT&T is 1900 band. You will get HSPDA+ if you are in a refarmed area with 1900 support from Tmobile. You will also get LTE if Tmobile has LTE service in your area, although this service is limited. The problem isn't so much Tmobile as it is the phone wasn't designed for Tmobile network with 1700 missing from the modem. It's a problem that iPhone users had before fully supported on Tmobile. All iPhone users from AT&T could only get EDGE data and some people get lucky and get 4G in refarmed areas. Point being it's risky to use an AT&T phone on a Tmobile network unless it's a pentaband phone with 1700 (which are very rare).

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)
Network Evolution | T-Mobile Support

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
It depends on your area, but you have to be patient. When I got my iPhone 4 in 2011, I was getting only EDGE on it, and I live in the NYC area. Then, in November of last year, I finally saw 3G appearing on my phone for the first time. Once your area is refarmed, you'll see better speeds. It's not like this is the case EVERYWHERE with T-Mobile.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
In my home, I get LTE. But in some areas in San Jose, it shows 4G. I remember my 810 only gets 4G at home.

What did you get in your old phone before changing to 1020? I'd figure you should at least get the same level of service as your old phone.

BTW, I didn't have to use the Access Point app to set anything. My 1020 got all the settings automatically when I booted it up the first time.

mikkopel

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I had the Lumia 810 - so no LTE on it... I'm still having some issues with MMS and data, but I started a new thread on it, because it's not really related to this...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss