1020 won't sync music using windows media player

sakendrick

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
After being a huge advocate for Windows Phone I'm just about done with it after moving from WP7.5 and Zune to WP8.

Purpose for this post is --- I can't sync anything using Windows Media Player. I put stuff in the sync list and it looks like it syncs then I check the sync status and everything has "error" in the status and nothing has copied. Doesn't matter if it's songs I own or subscription - nothing syncs through media player. I think I did get it to sync to my wife's 620.

According to MSFT this will not let me sync Zune subscription which is another issue I have - and the biggest issue is that I can't sync playlists period. They show up with 0 songs when I sync using the Windows Phone App. But I was hoping using Media Player might solve that but it's not working.

I'm using WIndows 7 on my PC. I'm a long time Zune user/promoter. Right now I can't get music on my phone in any reasonable fashion.

Hoping some other 1020 users have had success and can provide some guidance.

sakendrick

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I have but unfortunately it doesn't sove this problem or my others. Am I better to post there in the hopes that more people are already following?

The recommended way to sync playlists in the post is using windows media player.
- Windows media player will not sync anything to my phone - always gives status as "error" (this is the main purpose for this post)
- From what I've read from MSFT you cannot sync Zune DRM files using WMP

The other recommendation is to use windows explorer
- This doesn't help me with syncing playlists which is the primary way I sync music to my phone and the primary way I listen to music
- Apparently this won't work for Zune DRM files (I'm told the only way to sync Zune DRM files is with the windows phone app)

The MSFT documented way to sync Zune DRM files is to use the windows phone app
- playlists will not sync using this app - the playlist name copies over but it always says 0 songs
- I spend an hour on support chat with MSFT yesterday trying to get this resolved - no luck

If I could sync playlists using the windows phone app I'd be fine but now I'm stuck.

any help is appreciated.

sakendrick

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
I *believe* I have solved my problems... need to test but it turns out the issue was with my playlists. Since some songs were syncing and others weren't I took a look at the playlist to find out if there was anything I could see that would distinguish the songs that did vs. those that didn't. I opened the *.zpl or .wpl files in notepad. Turns out there was a weird relative path for many of the songs that started with zunemp:// where as some had normal c:\folder\folder\song paths. The numbers didn't line up 100% but they were close enough and on spot check - those that did sync had the c: type path. I then checked my other PC where the playlist would sync 0 songs. Every song in those playlists had bogus paths to an F drive that no longer existed. The weird thing is that Zune some how compensated for all of this. Those playlists with the F: would play fine in zune.

So I did a simple CTRL H (find and replace) in note pad and insert the correct path to where the songs were stored..Presto! seems to have worked.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo