Made the switch have a question

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I made the switch from Android to WP last night and am really liking the experience so far. I am having issues connecting to my work wifi. I have entered the correct password multiple times and it keeps telling me it is wrong. Is there a setting somewhere I am missing? To those that say recheck the password - I am the only one in the office that has the password in the first place. Ideas?

daveakowalski

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
What kind of authentication does the WLAN use? Are you sure it isn't certificate based (as opposed to "secret" based)?

EDIT: Oops Aperture beat me to the punch by a couple seconds!

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
I am pretty sure it is just WPA. We have an outside IT company that ultimately manages it all. I am almost positive just WPA as I think that is what I was using with my GNex.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
Ok, the access points are using WEP 128 bit. Have been restarting access points to try and see if that resolves. I have also tried soft reset and turning wifi off then back on still no luck.

MobileVortex

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
I hate to say it but i dont think Windows Phone 8 supports WEP security...

If you can i would see if you can get it changed to WPA, WEP is so easy to crack.

daveakowalski

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
If you can i would see if you can get it changed to WPA, WEP is so easy to crack.

This ^^^ I work in network and communications, and if I'm not mistaken, WEP was depreciated like 10 years ago or something.

If you aren't involved in IT decisions at your workplace, I would say there's not much you can do, but if you are and your infrastructure and clients support it, I would recommend switching to WPA2... If you have some really old legacy equipment using wifi this might be an issue, but I'd definitely look into it if it's a possiblity... (plus hey, your WP8 device will work!)

If changing the entire WLAN at your workplace is going to be an issue, it is also possible your hardware supports a virtual AP; essentially what this would do for you is allow your radios to broadcast two separate networks, and you could turn up a separate SSID with WPA authentication for use with your phone.

As a disclaimer this is being said with no idea as to what kind of infrastructure and hardware you have at your company, nor your ability to make infrastructure related decisions, but that is my $0.02.

jt09xlt

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
This ^^^ I work in network and communications, and if I'm not mistaken, WEP was depreciated like 10 years ago or something.

If you aren't involved in IT decisions at your workplace, I would say there's not much you can do, but if you are and your infrastructure and clients support it, I would recommend switching to WPA2... If you have some really old legacy equipment using wifi this might be an issue, but I'd definitely look into it if it's a possiblity... (plus hey, your WP8 device will work!)

If changing the entire WLAN at your workplace is going to be an issue, it is also possible your hardware supports a virtual AP; essentially what this would do for you is allow your radios to broadcast two separate networks, and you could turn up a separate SSID with WPA authentication for use with your phone.

As a disclaimer this is being said with no idea as to what kind of infrastructure and hardware you have at your company, nor your ability to make infrastructure related decisions, but that is my $0.02.
I am involved with IT decisions ;) I have already discussed with the guy from our IT support that was out today working on some other things and he is going to have a couple people look at changing one of the AP to WPA to test it out and see if it works. I will update this when we get it tested to verify. Thanks for all the quick responses to this. I think it may very well be the issue as I did not have any issues connecting to my home network and it is WPA.

daveakowalski

Sep 12, 2013
Visit site
Good to hear... WP8 support aside, you'll be doing a favor for the security of your business network! (Look at the WEP article on Wiki, check out the flaws section, and you can have some good examples on how vulnerable WEP really is).

I would try to implement WPA2 if at all possible, but just regular WPA is still a significant improvement.

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium