Lumia 920 on gdr2 vibration problem. too soft

joeltanthuanewe

Aug 27, 2013
Visit site
hello people! im using a lumia 920 which got updated into gdr2 about 3-4 weeks ago and everything was fine.. i had no problems at all with the phone nor with the wireless charging... anyways, this morning when i woke up i realised my phone vibration was very soft. i realised it when i started to press the start/back and also search button... it's soft that if i put it on the table i almost cant feel or hear the vibration at all. so i tried using another phone and calling my phone and indeed the phone vibration was very soft.. it was vibrating loudly and almost have a loud rattle sound previously before today. tried restarting my phone, tried rebooting with the power button and lower volume key too.. but the vibration is still the same... any ideas on how to make it vibrate normally?? i need vibration badly s im always in uni and silent mode is always on lol. PLEASE HELP THANKS!

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I have the same problem. Mine seems to come and go and because of this i don't think it's a software issue that can be sorted out with a reset. It may spring to life randomly or you can try and force the phone to vibrate using a massager app and shake your phone slightly. This may help the vibrate motor run properly again. It helped my phone.

thapau

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
I am also having this problem since yesterday afternoon...i did the firmware reset but it didn't work... there were few updates available and after it was over this problem happened...

Ray Adams

Jul 3, 2012
Visit site
Soft vibration is not only on GDR2! When I bought 920 in May if this year, on first thoughts I think there are no vibration at all! Comparing to my 8X, 920 has no vibration. Later I found that it was made by Nokia because some people complain about to power vibration and because of that strange sound from camera module! :(

hennyxu

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hi i have the same problem a couple of days ago I've updated my phone. It wasn't a big firmware update but a configuration update, more specifically at the update screen (windows shop) their was an update with a gearliek icon (I don't know what for update it is or if it is even related to the problem). Usually I would check the update but this time I just clicked it. After this update I've noticed that the vibration isn't responding. It works a little but very soft specificly for the back, home, and search buttons. The feedback is barely noticeable, however when I test the vibration for txt massages and incoming calls and even a massage app (downloaded to test vibration) it works fine.

I wanted to add that I have installed all the updates up to gdr2+amber and all small updates that followed that was available for my phone Lumia 920. So all the updates and things started to happen when I installed the gear icon like/configuration update (don't know what it was) just a week ago.

Is this a software or hardware problem? Please help.

I haven't tried a hard reset yet since I don't want to lose any files and because some people online said it didn't work (still planning on doing it when I'm certain that it will work). Maybe it will be corrected after a new update?????

thapau

Sep 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi i have the same problem a couple of days ago I've updated my phone. It wasn't a big firmware update but a configuration update, more specifically at the update screen (windows shop) their was an update with a gearliek icon (I don't know what for update it is or if it is even related to the problem). Usually I would check the update but this time I just clicked it. After this update I've noticed that the vibration isn't responding. It works a little but very soft specificly for the back, home, and search buttons. The feedback is barely noticeable, however when I test the vibration for txt massages and incoming calls and even a massage app (downloaded to test vibration) it works fine.

I wanted to add that I have installed all the updates up to gdr2+amber and all small updates that followed that was available for my phone Lumia 920. So all the updates and things started to happen when I installed the gear icon like/configuration update (don't know what it was) just a week ago.

Is this a software or hardware problem? Please help.

I haven't tried a hard reset yet since I don't want to lose any files and because some people online said it didn't work (still planning on doing it when I'm certain that it will work). Maybe it will be corrected after a new update?????

Same thing happened with me after the update....i already did hard reset but didn't solve the problem...vibration is so soft that i have to bring the phone near my ear to sense it..

hennyxu

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
I've also written an email to Nokia support in hope that they can help me. And if MICROSOFT or anyone from the company is looking at this forum here are some software and hardware versions of my phone:

Repair Details: Vibration of the back, home and search are very soft barely noticable happened just a couple of days ago (maybe after an update), while other functions still work properly (e.g. incoming messages and calls).

MOBILE: Nokia Lumia 920

IMEI: 356355050600962

Software version:

Revisionnumber firmware (loosly translated from dutch): 3047000013262005
Revisionnumber hardware: 1000
Softwareversion radio: 102021323
Chip-SOC-version: 8960
Mac adres: BCC6DBAF1598

LUMIA AMBER:

Accessories Agent: 2533
Feedback to nokia : 2501
Firmware Update Notifier: 1017
Nokia First Use Experience: 16020
Nokia Spamfilter: 1542
Silent Installer: 1306
Sim Unlock: 1005
SMS vCard Receiver: 1201
Manufacturer Name: RM-821_eu_netherlands_315
Mobile Operator: 000-NL
Configuration ID: 249312
Label ID: 30470000132610144
Application version: 3061

hennyxu

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Same thing happened with me after the update....i already did hard reset but didn't solve the problem...vibration is so soft that i have to bring the phone near my ear to sense it..

Well if you've had the same problem then this must be an update problem right? This can't just be a coincidence anyone else with this problem? Please post your experience.

Let's hope the new GDR3+black update will fix this bug.

DustyTrailhead

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Vibrate is now a very soft, short buzz, and the phone has to be near your head to hear it. This started sometime after I flashed w/ gdr2+amber, perhaps 1or 2 days later. I had to flash because the phone bricked after Reset. I reset because Live Tiles weren't updating. Live Tiles are now updating but vibrate is broken. (Which is worse?) But it doesn't seem like gdr2 did this because the problem seems to exist previous to that update. A reset reinstalls all your apps. I got a bunch of download errors but didn't notice any missing apps and everything seems to work. So, it has a glitch. Maybe it's app/settings related?

Divjot Singh

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
Even I have this problem since 2 months now. It happened after few days of installing GDR2. But then my phone did get wet in rain in my pocket a bit (no change happened immediately , in fact vibration become soft after 2-3 weeks). It does vibrate , as I can hear it in complete silence or on putting phone close to my ear and open up a vibrate app. I did give it to Nokia Care and they opened it up , tried somethings and told me that they'll hard reset it, I took my phone back as I had to take a backup, but didn't really give it to them since then as they said it would be taken to Factory if a reset doesn't help. I am living without a vibration and getting used to it now. I doubt it is coz of that wetting problem (too many weird words xD) as the level now is same since months. Also seeing exactly same issues with many other people here , it seems to be something else. Lets hope GDR3 fixes it magically just like some or the other update or app has magically added it.

Well , one more thing , on installing GDR2 , I had spinning wheels for long and left my phone just like that for few hours and boom GDR2 loaded up. This too was a common issue with most of phones , so maybe that triggered it.

hennyxu

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Hmmm.... strange now I'm wondering why I didn't have any problems after installing GDR2. I installed it almost 2 maybe 3 months ago and nothing was wrong. My problem started just a couple of days maybe a week ago. So in my case it couldn't have been GDR2 related, unless it was laying dormant waiting for the oppurtune moment.

But apart from GDR2 or my mysterie update it all sounds software related.

hennyxu

Nov 9, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I was thinking the same thing but what?? Hmmm.. Or maybe the GDR2 update differs per country/region? Because I'm from the Netherlands (Holland) so it's adapted for this region.
Maybe there was something in your/other regions that could've caused the problem and it was excluded from my version, however it was added later via a new update? Because I think this all started when I installed a configuration update from Nokia (an update with a gear icon) just a week ago. I just didn't check what update it exactly was :( .

DustyTrailhead

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
Just got off the line with ATT. My 920 is still under warranty, so they're sending another. Before they would do that, they had me pop the SIM and look inside the phone for "bright orange". Said it was the indicator for excess moisture, and if present would cost me $399 to replace the phone. Of course, the phone is not worth that, and thankfully there was no orange.
On the other hand, I get to setup my phone...again. UGH!

iSingBass

Mar 25, 2011
Visit site
I know that after some update on my Lumia 920 the haptic feedback for the soft buttons became a whole lot lighter, which I welcomed because I thought it was inappropriately strong and conspicuous before. Everyone around me does not have to hear me click the buttons on my phone. I did not notice a change in the ringer or other vibrating alerts, they seem as strong as ever which is also fine with me. I'm now on GDR3 with Amber. So yes, I'm certain there's a difference within the last few months, but cannot say for sure that it came with GDR2/Amber.

I thing the big difference came before GDR2, but trying to pay attention today, perhaps they scaled it back a bit more recently. If it's a big difference between the incoming call vibration and just pressing the Windows button I probably wouldn't be concerned. Looks like it might have been a hardware issue for the OP.

agd87

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I still think it's more of a hardware issue, my vibrate was quite soft and i accidently dropped my phone on the carpet and my vibrate intensity is much better now.

DustyTrailhead

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
So, it's a hardware problem. This will be my 4th 920 in less than a year, and NONE has EVER been on the ground or wet. I am starting to consider looking for a 1020 on Craigslist and selling the new 920. I'm already at 15gb, so I think a 925 is out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos