So is the Lumia 1020 obsolete now?

nohra

Jun 10, 2013
Visit site
Yes, the 1020 will no longer be supported when the 1520 launches, apps wont be developed for it, apps wont be updated, the search function will go inactive.

Agreed. I think the OP should be glad that the 1020 is not offered in their country yet because if it was, it would be worthless to get. You might as well get a rock with notepad attached to it by a string... and not even with a pen included... you have to provided that yourself. And a 6 inch screen on a phone, oh my, don't even get me started. This is the stupidest idea ever. I mean why would you want a screen large enough to actually do things like type in a document while being able to see more than 1/3 of the document?? Ridiculous. The rock with notepad would be better than this as well. Heck, MS would do better selling rocks with notepads, but even then once someone came out with a rock/notepad/pen combo people would open threads "Is the Rock/Notepad obsolete?"

Get real :wink: :
Lumia 1020 41MP is awesome because of it's camera, screw the "outdated" internals because it still operates like a killer.
Lumia 1520 ROCKS because it has a screen big enough to actually see what you're working on.

For me, someone who wants a great camera AND doesn't have home internet and uses my phone as my primary internet source, a 41MP 6 inch phone would be PERFECT. But given the choice I would TOTALLY choose the 1020 because of the camera. I don't care about the internals because you know what, even at a year old they still work pretty freaking well!

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
You'll get a 41 Megapixels camera with a year-old processor and specifications in general.
Don't forget that the 1520 has a full HD; Quad core processor etc.

Why should anyone consider the 1020 over the 1520? "The camera" -- I know but the guts are old (not necessarily a bad thing).. it's like a 920 with an excellent camera..
The 1020 isn't even released in my country..

Like it's not that the 1020 is a bad phone; but with GDR3 and better internals support, all 92X will be obsolete..

What do you think?

hahahahahaha, oh wait, you're serious?

Let me laugh harder

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

paperless

Jun 23, 2013
Visit site
It was obsolete the day it was released. Nokia just kept rehashing old hardware in a new case with the 925, 928 and 1020 and putting a higgher price tag on them. At least the 1020 carries a better camera.

Windows Phone seems to handle any hardware just fine but apps are only going to get more demanding and I personally think that having the 925, for example, ?200 more expensive than the 920 makes absolutely no sense at all. It's simply nuts.

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
These two devices are just different flagship devices to service different tastes. Would you ask the same question for the Samsung GS4 and Samsung Note 3? Simple answer to the OP question...NO

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
What is obsolete? It means that the device in question can no longer perform its intended function. I love it when people say, "My computer is obsolete," and I learn (or already know) that all they do is surf the web and email. A Windows 98 computer will do most of that. Obsolete is a matter of what you want to do with a device, not whether something better is available.

While I agree that a lot of people who think their computer is obsolete need to take a better look at what they actually use it for I WOULD submit that a Win98 PC is obsolete even for browsing the web. After all, it's locked to older browser versions which lack CSS3+HTML5 support and are far less secure than today's offerings. :smile:

Bicpug

Oct 19, 2012
Visit site
Why would they be obsolete? they still do the same things they did when we got them and the latest uber phone does nothing new...just a few things better.

DalekSnare

Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
None of the 9xx or the 1020 are obsolete, any more than the 2013 Honda Pilot makes the 2013 Honda Accord obsolete. Same generation, different types of phone. The 900 is obsolete, and no one would choose it over a 920. But each of the 9xx, 1020, and 1520 are the best model for someone. 925 is thin, 920 has the sharpest screen on a normal-size device and built-in wireless charging, 1020 has best camera, 1520 has the largest screen and resolution, etc. None make the others obsolete. When a Lumia 940 with a 1080 4.5" screen comes out, it will make the model it replaces obsolete. But no such replacement phone for any of the current models exists yet.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
It's not a high-end smartphone. It's a high-end cameraphone, but it's a capable mid-range smartphone as well. However, until the 1520 is out, it IS the high-end for Windows Phone. Even then, the mid-range 820 had the same SoC as the 1020, and it was an early-2012 SoC to begin with. It's fair to question its computing power and all, but it's not obsolete.

iOSMicrosoftDroid

Sep 10, 2013
Visit site
Obsolete is a very strong word for a product practically in infancy, regardless of number of cores in its processor. I do love what I see in the "leaked" pictures of the 1520 but at six inches, that device is too close to tablet territory for my liking. I am still hoping that it is a 5" screen!

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
A lot of people still use Windows XP which came out over 10 years ago. It's not obsolete until next year when MS stops supporting it.

Junaid96

Jul 16, 2013
Visit site
And it still won't be obsolete if it continues to perform the functions that you need it to perform.

That's not what obsolete means. Obsolete means something is no longer produced or used (straight from dictionary.com). So it doesn't matter if it still functions well. Take the original iPhone for instance. It may still function properly, but Apple do not produce or support it any longer and virtualy no one still uses one. Thus it is classed as an obsolete handset.

That's not to say the OP has a point however. Short answer is, the 1020 is not an obsolete device because it is in an entirely different category of smartphone to the 1520. One is a phablet and one is, well, a traditional smartphone (except with a much better camera than average). Each is designed to target a different level of the market.

thetroublewith

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
It's probably relatively mid-range in terms of the overall smartphone market, but it seems like Windows Phone 8 is already fast, smooth and responsive without the need for quad-core, etc - unlike Android. I also wonder how much more of a battery drain 1080p screens are going to be...

Kellzea

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
Alright, so the 1020 isn't obsolete but rather a mid range device with an exceptional camera?

you are still wrong. It has a higher spec screen than the iphone5s. Ergo, it must be high end. That and the fact the camera blasts everything else out there.

Would you drop this please? Have you not been embarrassed enough?

Let this thread die - ppl r jumping down the throat of a guy who is clearly clueless

Sometimes, mercilessly smashing your point into their brain pan is actually a species of kindness.

Last edited by a moderator:

Technoloay

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
you are still wrong. It has a higher spec screen than the iphone5s. Ergo, it must be high end. That and the fact the camera blasts everything else out there.

Would you drop this please? Have you not been embarrassed enough?

I apologize then. I originally started this thread because I listened to the people around here that, well all the Lumia line has outdated internals. In fact, I'm waiting to get the 1020 as an upgrade to my Lumia 620 but this certain thought was pulling me back. I guess now I'll just have to wait until the 1020 arrives in here and stop cluelessly posting threads.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ayven