So is the Lumia 1020 obsolete now?

bobsentell

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5c is getting glowing reviews and all it is is a year old iPhone in a plastic shell.

We are reaching the point of spec saturation. Just as with computers, faster specs won't be noticeable to the average consumer. It's all about functionality and the Lumia 1020 has that in spades.

Sent from my RM-877_nam_att_205 using Tapatalk

willied

Jul 30, 2011
Visit site
Good thing Nokia/MS doesn't cater to "most people" then because for those of us who apparently aren't "most people" a 6 inch screen is a perfect compromise between a "too big to carry on your belt and hold up to your ear" tablet and a "too small to do meaningful things on" phone.

The "most people" argument is probably why we don't have physical keyboards, so for those of us who want things like bigger phones and physical keyboards and super cool cameras in our phones I'm glad the manufactures don't always listen to "most people". We hear the same "most people" crap when people talk about a 41MP camera being unnecessary too. Who cares? I'm surprised WP users would even start with the "most people don't want this" crap because by using Windows Phone, YOU ARE ALREADY NOT MOST PEOPLE!

I'm not arguing against it. What I'm saying is that the 1520 isn't even an option for a lot of people, so the 1020 is going to suit more people's needs since it's a more manageable size for most and therefore it doesn't matter what the specs of the 1520 are.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone 5c is getting glowing reviews and all it is is a year old iPhone in a plastic shell.

We are reaching the point of spec saturation. Just as with computers, faster specs won't be noticeable to the average consumer. It's all about functionality and the Lumia 1020 has that in spades.

I think phones still have a ways to go. When an average consumer can put two phones next to each other, and one is noticeably faster than the other at performing the same tasks, processing speed matters. They will consider the faster one to have an advantage. There are still plenty of times I'm waiting around for the phone to do something. Not everything happens instantly. Probably the biggest example of this on the 1020 is when taking pictures. Are the delays a deal-killer? No. Would it be nice if it was faster? Yes.

Also important is performance per watt, a metric where specs will continue to improve long beyond the point where most things happen near instantly. You can burn through the battery pretty quickly on the 1020 when actively using it. Certainly people will appreciate better battery life for a long time to come.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss