I'm a Pro Photographer. Got the 1020. Wow I'm impressed! A few samples inside. =)

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So huge thanks to my awesome wife, who totally surprised me with a Lumia 1020 last week! Perfect gift for a photographer!

Fortunately, I was leaving to shoot a wedding in the mountains the next day in Nordegg, Alberta. So of course I took the 1020 with me. I didn't have much time to get some serious shots, but I did take a few snapshots while I was scoping photo locations for the wedding. I cannot WAIT to go out on a serious photo safari with this phone! Even just farting around, I got some stuff I'm very happy with. Hey, if the camera is good enough to shoot an entire National Geographic assignment, then it should be plenty good enough for me.

This cameraphone is amazing. That's all I can say. And what makes it more awesome is the Battery GRIP!! At first I considered it more of a toy than anything of real utility, but my mind is completely changed. After using it, I would MOST DEFINITELY recommend any photography enthusiast to get it in addition to the phone itself. It feels about a thousand times nicer to hold, like a REAL camera. The shutter button is large, like a real camera. The two stage shutter release feels great, like a real camera. Tripod mount, like a real camera. And the extra battery power is awesome too, so you can be out shooting for much longer than without. So definitely get the grip if you get this phone.

I'm very happy using the 5MP files from the camera. I know it takes 41MP photos, but the whole purpose of 41mp is to get the nicest 5MP files possible. I will trust Nokia's R&D and take their 5MP files, which upon inspection, are beautifully detailed and crisp. I am confident I can get gorgeous 11x17 prints from them as they are richly detailed. They would definitely look MUCH MUCH better than an 11x17 print from my 8.7MP Lumia 920, which is no slouch itself either! So don't underestimate the power of the 5MP files coming out of this cam.

One thing I noticed is that the corners are very soft. This is no big deal to me (My Canon 10-22 and 50L suffer from the same thing) but to pixel peeper and measurebators, I'm sure it will be a point of much complaint. But really, I could care less for what I shoot.

The included Pro camera app is wonderful for changing settings on the fly. It's the nicest camera interface I've used on a phone. But there definitely is more of a delay from shot to shot, which isn't surprising considering how much resolution there is. But if you really want faster shooting, then fire up Nokia Smart Shoot which rapid fires a few pics and then lets you combine the results from all photos to make one awesome one. It's pretty slick.

Anyhow, onto the pictures!

1. This is the gorge that Crescent Falls drops into
20130913_160630_4765.jpg

2. Clouds of course. I shot this to test how it does at very high exposure levels. Many phones just cannot handle this due to shutter speed limitations. No problem with the Lumia 1020. The shutter speed on this shot was 1/15000! I have no idea what it's upper limit it.
20130913_160807_4766.jpg

20130913_161147_4767.jpg

4. And the beautiful falls
20130913_162117_4768.jpg

5. I took this shot as I knew it was a very difficult scenario for ANY camera: a backlit landscape with highly reflective water. Overall, I'm quite impressed with the dynamic range it gave me. The highlights in the water show lots of definition and detail in the spashes and turbulence, but at the same time I can still see the trees behind the river.
20130913_162443_4770.jpg

6. Lots of detail in the tubulence. At first, as I looked at the water upstream, I thought it was quite soft, but then I realized... WTF it is soft because it is outside of the DOF! It was something I just never really thought about when looking at smartphone or compact camera images before! You actually have to be aware of the DOF!
20130913_162624_4772.jpg

7. Thought I'd try a slower shutter speed. 1/3 was all I could manage without overexposing the image. The one thing the 1020 lacks that the 808 (and N8) had was a built-in automatic ND filter. I really wish it had that.
20130913_163501_4773.jpg

8. The colour of this lake was too good to pass up, so I pulled over on the highway for a couple snaps.
20130913_165845_4775.jpg

20130913_165910_4776.jpg

10. And one thing I forgot to try was the ZOOM feature! So I zoomed in on this plant and I was wowed with the clear DOF background separation. Hallelujah for large sensors! (The Lumia 1020 sensor is about four times larger than the iPhone 5 sensor)
20130913_170608_4780.jpg

11. Took this to check out it's flare performance. Looks like it produces a red flare, but the rest of the photo is well detailed at least.
20130913_172512_4781.jpg

12. Tried it out at night. Here the moon is rising over the mountain horizon. The camera app only allows a shutter speed of 4 seconds at the longest, so I had to crank up to ISO3200. I also put the battery grip on and put it on a tripod. Can't do that with your average smartphone! Detail is pretty low, but again, good luck even getting anything like this on any other smartphone! Would have never attempted it with any other phone.
20130914_233154_4765.jpg

13. And on the way home, ran into some gorgeous fall colours. It did a totally beautiful job of capturing the essence of the scene.
20130915_122845_4788.jpg

I'm loving this phone! I am going to try to do an actual portrait shoot with it one day.

Still learning more and more about it though. But very happy thusfar. One thing I haven't really given a good test run is the REAL XENON FLASH. None of this LED flash crap. This gives REAL action stopping flash capability. I'm really looking forward to playing with it and seeing what I can do. Nokia invented the world's first flat capacitor to fit a real flash into such a form factor (in addition to all the other crap that goes inside a smartphone).

The crazy thing is, this phone was purchased from a Microsoft Store in Seattle for US$609 WITH the battery grip (32GB model). That's cheaper than the "affordable" iPhone 5c 32GB, and this is *THE* flagship model.

It's a Photographer's wet dream.
These are my websites if you at all interested...
Night and Day Photography - Edmonton Wedding Photographers, Edmonton Family Photographers
THE BOUDOIR by Night and Day - Edmonton Boudoir Photography, Intimate Photography

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
"but to pixel peeper and measurebators" Are you talking dirty to me? haha.

Fantastic pictures. My favorite is actually the moon on the horizon one. You should start a Twitter account for 1020 pics so we can follow :)

Nick_1020

Mar 4, 2013
Visit site
Wow.

Those are some stunning images. I guess there's a reason you're a pro!

Thanks for sharing and more importantly, thanks for listing the settings you used to capture the images.

Amazing.

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Cheers, thanks guys. I think I am going to do a series and really get into the nuts and bolts of this thing. The Lumia 1020 intrigues me like no other cameraphone. I'm gonna try to use my knowledge to get everything I can out of it, and then think outside the box and get the kind of stuff that people don't think is possible. I can see myself having a lot of fun with this. But it's my busy season now, it'll have to wait until winter.

vormison

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Cheers, thanks guys. I think I am going to do a series and really get into the nuts and bolts of this thing. The Lumia 1020 intrigues me like no other cameraphone.
That would be great. I am always confused as to what settings and speeds to use for certain shots. That information along with your great pictures would be awesome!

Duvi

Jan 1, 2011
Visit site
Dude... those shots are a billion times better than what I've attempted.

"I didn't have much time to get some serious shots" ... yeah right buddy. If that's not the serious ones, I can't wait for them. I'm definitely in awe right now.

arielwp

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
very beautiful pictures bro, Im also very good in photographing, but more as a hobby. ur pictures are incredible!
8 - this lake looks so pure, where is this place?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Forget National Geographic, Nokia should've hired you! Excellent job and thanks for sharing! It's great to see what this thing can do in the hands of a pro.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Did you use a tripod for most of those shots? Coz w/ my 920, the pics come out a bit hazy and not sharp, could be because of my hands being unstable. Please do share some settings we could use on our phones fir different real life scenarios. BTW all the pics look awesome!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720