Nokia Lumia 928 on a GSM network

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone has had any experience using a Lumia 928 on a GSM network. This thread talks about it not working, but I was wondering if that was because the device isn't unlocked.

I love the look of the device, and it's cheaper online than the lumia 925 is, so I was wondering if it would be possible to use it on a network such as straight talk or AT&t without problems described in the aforementioned thread.

Thanks.

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
I haven't tried it, as all I have are regular SIM cards and no MicroSIMs that the 928 uses. AFAIK, the issues that were stated in that thread were pertaining to being unable to change the apns for your specific provider. You can either manually update the APNs, or use the Access Point app from nokia. As a note though, if you use Access Point, you will lose 4G on Verizon until you do a hard reset. This is due to the app changing settings off of their LTE band, and "forgets" them until its factory restored via the hard reset or flashing the rom with Nokia Care Suite.

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
I've run mine on T-Mobile and AT&T without problems, but to get it working on Verizon afterwards requires a hard reset.

All you have to do is set the profile in Access Point, but it requires creating a new one and setting it (for some reason it doesn't quite pick up the settings properly with the default APN Access Point chooses, even though the settings are correct).

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, if at all possible I'd like to hear from a few other people using services like straight talk. Also, do you get 4g and lte with at&t?

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
No LTE, but you get "4G" HSPA+, same with T-Mobile (until Verizon launches their AWS LTE network later in the year and activates the band).

I haven't had problems with MMS / Picture messages when I used it, but others weren't able to get it working properly

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
Thanks, that's awesome. It makes me feel secure about getting the phone. I think it's a beautiful device and I'm excited to move from HTC to Nokia. I'm good with HSPA+, because that's what I get on Tmobile now. I also have no intention of using it on Verizon.

Just one other question, all the Verizon Lumia 928's are SIM unlocked according to the law, right?

Trevor Halsey

Jun 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks, that's awesome. It makes me feel secure about getting the phone. I think it's a beautiful device and I'm excited to move from HTC to Nokia. I'm good with HSPA+, because that's what I get on Tmobile now. I also have no intention of using it on Verizon.

Just one other question, all the Verizon Lumia 928's are SIM unlocked according to the law, right?

All 928s are sim unlocked by FCC rules because the use of a certain cellular band that this device uses requires it.

So that's a long answer for a yes.

:)

Sent from my RM-860 (Lumia 928) using the OFFICIAL Tapatalk app.

Rich 2

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
I have a new Nokia 928 on the t-mobile network. I am able to get H+ speeds. The issues: Unable to send SMS messages unless the phone is put in 2g mode. SMS receive and MMS send/receive work fine. Also, Internet Sharing does not work - when I turn it on it goes away for two secs and comes back saying that it is unavailable. I have the hotspot plan on my account.

I am coming off an unlocked Nokia 520 - everything worked fine on that device.

sleeve22

Banned
Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I also bought the 928 to use on T-Mobile, but constant SMS problems forced me to also buy the 925 to use for now. I still have the 928 hoping that this issue will be addressed at some point in the future.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)