Lumia 920 on T-Mobile LTE

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
One nice thing about T-Mobile is there are no more contracts for new customers. That way, if you try them for a month and don't like them, you are free to go, if you already own your phone.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm actually looking at dropping at&t right now too. For some reason, mine and my wife's L920s are using 2x the data that our palm pixis used (no change in usage behavior)

T-mo would be 100/month with 2.5gb.

But for us, since we're on the 200mb plan, if we go with t-mobile's 500mb plan, its only $80/month, and for just $10 more I can add my father in law.

And I won't get charged $15 for overages because it just throttles!

Still looking at $265/line in etf. I wonder if there's a way to get that reduced...

Anybody have experience with t-mo in the Cleveland Ohio area?

Last edited:

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm almost never not near a WiFi. The most cellular data I have ever used is 109 MB in a month, so the 500 MB plan works well for me. If I was out and about a lot, it would be a different story, I guess.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I'm almost never not near a WiFi. The most cellular data I have ever used is 109 MB in a month, so the 500 MB plan works well for me. If I was out and about a lot, it would be a different story, I guess.

Same with me and my wife. WiFi at home, WiFi at work...and somehow, data usage still managed to go up!!

(and yes I have the keep wifi alive checkbox checked)

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Same with me and my wife. WiFi at home, WiFi at work...and somehow, data usage still managed to go up!!

(and yes I have the keep wifi alive checkbox checked)

My data did go up when I got the 521, over my old blackberry 8320, which did have WiFi, but was really impractical to surf or do social media etc with. Before I got the Nokia my highest data month was less than 10 MB lol.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I didn't even mention that my wife has hardly any apps on her phone, and doesn't do any social networking stuff. Just accuweather and email!

Anyway, another question for those of you that have switched carriers. Is the only way to get OS updates to flash them yourself? I'm assuming I wont get them over the air...but would I be able to update by plugging the phone into my PC?

Thanks for the help

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
My ETF is currently $155, I calculated with my wife getting a 5s, and I would keep my Lumia 920, It would save $400 than staying with At&t and getting my wife her own line on T-Mobile.

nwhitemcse

Jul 31, 2013
Visit site
I didn't even mention that my wife has hardly any apps on her phone, and doesn't do any social networking stuff. Just accuweather and email!

Anyway, another question for those of you that have switched carriers. Is the only way to get OS updates to flash them yourself? I'm assuming I wont get them over the air...but would I be able to update by plugging the phone into my PC?

Thanks for the help

You will get over the air updates with no problem. I have used Lumia 822 from Verizon and 2 Lumia 920's from AT&T on T-Mobile pre-paid plans over the last 2 months and they OTA update just fine. I've even put the 920 on international ROMs and update over the air afterwards.

That being said the 822 doesn't like to send SMS on T-Mobile. There are other threads saying it is working with Amber, but I've yet to see anyone prove they are sending fine on 3G while on T-Mobile North America.

If you go with a Lumia 920 you can use the AT&T and it works nicely if you are in a re-farmed AT&T LTE area, when you travel to a non LTE area you will be stuck on 2G/EDGE.
If you go with a Lumia 920 from Rogers Wireless, it has all the and when you travel to a non LTE area you can still get 2G/EDGE but also 3G and H+. Very nice.

The Rogers 920's are still a bit pricey on Ebay if you are looking there. If you are patient you can get an nice AT&T model with accessories for around $200.

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
What about gophone....$60/month. Or AIO I think is $50 or $55. Straighttalk? At least gophone is ATT and you can get LTE on gophone.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
What about gophone....$60/month. Or AIO I think is $50 or $55. Straighttalk? At least gophone is ATT and you can get LTE on gophone.

i can get 3 lines with unlimited everything (throttled after 500mb) for $82.80. neither of those offer that kind of pricicg!!

Shawn Magm

Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Can't answer your question about speeds of the phone you want, but my one line on T-Mo is $50/mo with 500MB (throttled after that) and unlimited everything else. They keep sending me emails trying to get me to add another identical line for $30/mo. If you add another after that, its $10/mo. So for 2 lines its basically $40/mo.

MetroPCS has unlimited talk/text/data for $40/mo. The first 500 mb are 4G, then 3G afterwards. If you add a 2nd line, it'll be $35/mo each, or $70 total with taxes included. MetroPCS is a T-mobile MVNO.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
With my company discount I will just stick with official, $76 isn't bad foe two lines, one at 500m the other at 2.5gigabites

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
MetroPCS has unlimited talk/text/data for $40/mo. The first 500 mb are 4G, then 3G afterwards. If you add a 2nd line, it'll be $35/mo each, or $70 total with taxes included. MetroPCS is a T-mobile MVNO.

I think i'm going to go with metropcs. 90/month taxes included. Plus, they are giving $50 rebates for byod and phone number. 2x Lumia 920 and 3 phone numbers. $250 rebates. Brings my etf down to $150ish. And the rolled in taxes make it cheaper than straight t-mobile with taxes (and my 8% corp discount)

Last edited:

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
Bringing up an old topic!! So I finally made the switch to t-mobile! This latest blackberry offer threw it over the edge for me. Traded in 3 blackberries, got 3 Lumia 521s. 500mb plan for the 3 lines with 15% corp discount comes out to around $92/month, and I've got $160 left over as an account credit! Took the sim out of my 521 when I got home, put it in the 920 and didn't have to do a thing. Connected to LTE straight away.

Thanks for the help everyone! Now I'm just waiting for the ETF bill, and to get my $25 referral card (one of my co-workers had an acct, so we each get $25 credit!)

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Just make sure that you can use MMS and Internet sharing. Some users have problems with either one or both. I myself still have an issue with Internet Sharing but can use MMS.

pezman726

Dec 29, 2011
Visit site
I only have the 500mb plan, and I don't use the internet sharing. I'll have to test out the mms though! Thanks for the heads up! This is actually the first time I'm not on a pay per text plan, so I never really used mms anyway!

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss