820 "other storage" issue

Optimize

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
hello!

i'm new here and kind of new in the whole wp8 scene.
nevertheless i've been researching a bit around the others storage issue around windows phone8.
as you all probably know the 820 has an 7.3~ GB of internal storage wich the system takes 1.9GB and the "other storage" folder takes a whoppin' 4GB which doesn't leave me any room to play around. recently my phone got so filled up i couldn't surf the net or get text messages. for could i open apps and download any sort of content.

i do not own an SD card at the moment. i live in israel so my carrier does not have an amber/GDR2 update at the moment which claims and quite unreliably to somewhat address this issue.
there simply isn't a solution around or i just couldn't find it. i heard that some folks downloaded the GDR2 version in someway without carrier upgrade through the phone update process. i tried the shrink storage app and with no great success.

i just can't believe that a thing so crucial to the phones operation isn't fixable. in a phone that has a maximum internal storage of 7 can't have more than 100-300 mb of occupied space in the "other storage" and i would like it to go back to that number. much regards to any help given and i want to note that i will work my way around an advance solution if there isn't a simple one even though i havn't much experience at the moment just need a guide.

thanks allot

DBDev

Jan 13, 2012
Visit site
From what I know, I think you only have two options unfortunately, and that is buying a sd card or hard resetting the phone, but that will delete everything on your phone... :unhappy:

WPRaptor1

Sep 9, 2013
Visit site
Go to Settings,Memory Check,Details and see how much space the temporary files need.From what u r saying it must be some gigs.If so,turn off WiFi and mobile data,unselect backup on SkyDrive and change the date to December for example.Then go back to temporary files and press delete.

Sent from my Lumia 820

stiflingcobra

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
You should back up any important data etc then try flashing the GDR2 update using Nokia Software Updater for Retail. Thus WILL factory reset tour phone but it will remove that 4gb other storage and put on gdr2 which helps stop that..

I did this and even with everything enabled such as upload of photos my other us only just over 500mb...

Optimize

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
so you're saying the gdr2 update keeps the other storage from overflowing? because i heard that it isn't very impressive and offers only a minor improvement. for how long are you using the gdr2 ? did you give it enough time to fill up?

stiflingcobra

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It certainly helps... I've been using it fir about two weeks.. And have loaded on all my apps i use etc and still have photo auto upload on..

I also did the date trick to clear some temp files the other day and that reduced my other as well as temp files by about 100mb when i put the date a year ahead..

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
It's not 2 weeks yet since I got GDR2 on my 920 and other storage has fluctuated but went down 50-100mb. The bad news is that I have 17.1GB in other. What to do?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Holy Cow; 17.1GB, that is the worst I have heard of yet. I have a 820 and I thought my 475MB's was bad. We AT&T phone owners have still NOT GOTTEN the GDR2 update. From the looks of things I am beginning to wonder if it will help the Other situation. I think the only alternative you have is a factory reset which will remove all the data from OTHER. But you will have to reinstall all your apks and files. Good luck KKRLessey, I have heard in time the Other will go down, but not like it should. Makes you wonder why Microsoft has not taken any action to REALLY fix this major problem for low memory phones. fdalbor

AndersonSilvaR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on my 820. Yesterday I made a 50 sec 1080p video just to test, and then erase it. But my other storage is now 3.4 gbs, and I have a 350 mb left.
I don't care about losing apps, or data. I just want to know if my contacts are saved in my Microsoft account, and if my phone will brick when a hard reset it (I'm worried because I heard about some 920 getting brick after hard reset. The 820 have the same problem ?), can someone help me please ?
And I want to know if someone can tell me a good tutorial in english for flashing GDR2.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
Its not the worst, on Microsoft forums, one guys said 21 GB LOL
Holy Cow; 17.1GB, that is the worst I have heard of yet. I have a 820 and I thought my 475MB's was bad. We AT&T phone owners have still NOT GOTTEN the GDR2 update. From the looks of things I am beginning to wonder if it will help the Other situation. I think the only alternative you have is a factory reset which will remove all the data from OTHER. But you will have to reinstall all your apks and files. Good luck KKRLessey, I have heard in time the Other will go down, but not like it should. Makes you wonder why Microsoft has not taken any action to REALLY fix this major problem for low memory phones. fdalbor

AndersonSilvaR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I have the same problem on my 820. Yesterday I made a 50 sec 1080p video just to test, and then erase it. But my other storage is now 3.4 gbs, and I have a 350 mb left.
I don't care about losing apps, or data. I just want to know if my contacts are saved in my Microsoft account, and if my phone will brick when a hard reset it (I'm worried because I heard about some 920 getting brick after hard reset. The 820 have the same problem ?), can someone help me please ?
And I want to know if someone can tell me a good tutorial in english for flashing GDR2.

Can someone help me please ?

AndersonSilvaR

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site

rwest003

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site

Hey there.
I have a Lumia 820 and did Factory Reset it due to the "Other" storage issue.
I had my contacts on the SIM card and had chosen "import SIM contacts" and they were not saved on the pone but instead went to Outlook.com.
Sinc? all my contacts were backed up to Outlook.com, when I logged back into the phone with my Microsoft Account it retrieved my contacts from the cloud.

After the hard reset, my 820 was not bricked. Just make sure your battery is over 50% before proceeding as I think if the battery runs out during the process it will brick the phone..

stiflingcobra

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
just download Nokia Software Updater for Retail and run that. If there's a firmware update foe your phone it will download and flash it.

Its a verysimply process but will factory reset your phone. Once flashed use one if the many free apps to update all your system apps to get all Amber features...

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Found a way to get rid of some of the Other storage issue. I was looking at storage check apk and noticed that Skydrive had about 40mb listed for it; but only (dark blue) 12mb was app, the rest was(light blue) data. I uninstalled the Skydrive app turned off my phone, waited a few minutes and downloaded the apk again. Now when I go to storage check I have 12mb for the app and 1mb for data. Yet all my pictures are still there when I go to Skkydrive. I managed to lose 27mb of usless data that Skydrive was hanging on to for no reason. While 27mb is not much I wonder how many other usless areas WP8 is sticking data that is of no use. Everything I had on Skydrive is still there; but its on the cloud, not my phone's memory.

The bad thing is look what I had to go through to get rid of the 27mb. And yes Android has other storage too. (I own to Android tablets) But you can download several apks that trims that other storage file down and all it takes is one click. Come on Microsoft you can do better than this. From what I am reading GDR2 does not help other storage much. Thats if we AT&T WP8 owners ever get it anyway.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
That Skydrive space was cache, to save your data plan and to increase speed. It ought to have reduced itself over time, or immediately should you need the space for other things. Was it not clearing out when you got to the point you needed the space? GDR 2 should have sorted this. It works for me?

fdalbor

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
I have always had over 4GB's free on my 820 so I never really had to have the space. And I am with AT&T so I (along with a ton of other 820 & 920 owners have never gotten GDR 2). I just wanted to keep my 820 with as much storage free as possible for when (read if) we ever do get any of the updates. Glad to see you got the update. I even thought about flashing it myself; but I heard that voids the warranty. My phone is only 4 months old so I'm just waiting, waiting, waiting, waiting etc.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077