Very strange charging issue

Gazlar22

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I just got a 'new' replacement phone back from Nokia after returning my previous handset three times to try to fix the case creaking issue. The eventual outcome was that - after replacing the motherboard, flashing the software and on the third attempt, doing nothing - the engineers couldn't find the fault and sent me a replacement phone.

I was chuffed when I opened the package to find what appeared to be a shiny new lumia, no scratches or creaks and all seals present. All seemed well, I hooked it up to my PC to redownload my apps from the Windows Phone site, then the latest update popped up so I installed that. When it came to charging the phone later, I plugged it into the mains to find it wouldn't charge. I tried 3 different chargers and mains sockets before resetting the software, which did nothing but cause the battery icon to constantly be present on the phone for some reason.

The phone will charge, however, if I plug it into my computer when it's fully logged in. It won't charge on other computers. I tried leaving the phone hooked to the mains whilst soft and factory resetting.

What the hell is going on? I've had it with these phones. Do I return it a fourth time and go another week without a handset, or is this somehow a software issue that might be fixable? :angry:

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Was going to suggest disabling the sleep mode setting on the computer **** yeah that's odd it won't charge from regular wall chargers. Different USB chargers and the plug nub?

Gazlar22

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know the best way for me to roll back to the previous software version? I've got a feeling the update may have messed the phone because I left it plugged into my PC the entire time

EDIT - Yeah I've tried different plugs, different USB cables, everything. It has to be a software issue or else it wouldn't charge at all

Yiannis Mansolas

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I've had problems charging and connecting to a computer both with an Ativ S and a Lumia 920. To cut a long story short, the charging problems were due to a trusted but apparently faulty charger.
The PC connection issues were solved when I connected the phones to the computer after rebooting both (phone and computer). It was probably a driver installation issue because after that initial setup I don't have to reboot the phone or the computer anymore to connect them.

Gazlar22

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
I plugged in to reinstall my apps easily from the windows phone site. The update just happened to pop up whilst my phone was plugged in. As I said, I've now tried a number of chargers: one which came with the 920, one which came with a 520 and one which came with an 800, as well as a ZTE micro usb charger. None of these work.

However, to make things a little weirder, I plugged the phone in at a friend's house with his 925 charger and it started charging. I guess the next step will be to try his charger at my house, but I'm not gonna be able to do that for a while.

I've never known a phone to be this temperamental with charging. It consistently works from PCs but won't work from any mains socket with any charger in this house.

acousticpoem

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My Nokia charging stand or wireless plate wont work in my office at work. Yet the USB does and they work no problem at home. Electrician said it would a slight fault with the constancy of the electrical supply at the office. It may affect you too.

Gazlar22

Jan 11, 2013
Visit site
Yeah sounds like that could be the case, but there's a 520 in the house that charges fine and my previous 920 was fine as well. May be another hardware issue after all -_-

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb