17GB in "Other" and Awful Battery Life - Thoughts?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Maps are separated out in the Nokia Storage Check in settings.

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes, I have maps installed (two U.S. states,) but as the poster above me mentioned, maps are listed as a separate category.

My mail only syncs for the most recent 7 days.

The person talking about whatsapp is a different person from me. I do have whatsapp, but I only have two active chats and barely any pictures within those chats.

I visited the Microsoft Store today, and they said that a hard reset was the only way to go. If that doesn't fix it, they'll replace my device.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I have a 920, and I had previously exchanged it once around late November 2012 due to horrendous battery performance (the phone went down 8% while I was talking to the Microsoft Store employee about my battery life.)

Now, my phone has 17GB of "other" storage, and the battery, though always shaky since my replacement has once again been experiencing awful battery performance (yes, I am aware of and utilize all of the battery saving tips; I have only weather, calendar, and battery pro+, no WiFi, no NFC, no location.) I also recently uninstalled all unused apps and soft reset my phone and "other" went unblemished. I suspect the "other" may be connected to my battery performance, but I don't know.

Do you think the people at AT&T or the Microsoft store will consider another replacement? I'm trying to figure-out if it's even worth my time to go down to the Microsoft or AT&T store or if they're going to push me away and I should try hard resetting my phone at home.

If this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move it; I posted here because the "other" is a system issue.

***Edit: Additionally, I have reset my phone twice today, and each time, it has immediately decreased the battery by 8%.

People have had as many as '8' replacements.

umang_k91

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
wait for the amber update. i had issues with battery life too earlier, but its increased by a lot with the update. I also read on Joe Belfiore's twitter page that it fixes a lot of the issues related to the Other Storage. Since u are on AT&T unfortunately no idea when you'll get it. But try flashing it. Might help

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I did a hard reset at 5:30pm last night, and as of right now (9:00am,) the gears are still spinning.

Sooooo my phone is bricked. That's okay, though, since they said they would replace if anything goes wrong with the reset or if the storage wasn't fixed. I guess I would have been starting all over had the reset worked anyway, so at least I get a new phone out of it.

(I had read about flashing the phone prior to doing the reset, but I was too leary about it. When I had my iPhone, I always had it jailbroken, but there are a lot of weird steps in the flashing process that I don't feel comfortable/confident-enough in my abilities to do. I was really enticed by getting the Amber update and the ability to tether, but I couldn't pull the trigger.)

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I hard reset my 920 the other day for a different reason, but it took over 3 hours. After the first hour had passed, figuring my phone was bricked, I did a volume down + power reset and restarted the process. After the second hour, I did it again because... hey, what's it going to hurt at that point? After the third hour I figured I could throw the phone out the window of a moving vehicle or do the volume down + power reset again; I opted for the latter, and within a couple of minutes the phone was up on ready for me to enter my Microsoft account information.

So... since it's been running so long, try that a couple of times. Like I figured at hour two of my process, what's it's going to hurt?

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
same thing happened to me once, I waited almost 2 hours then I did the volume up and down and camera button to put it into some mode then I did the power button and down arrow. about an hour later I recovered.

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
So, the phone eventually died after being on the gears for over 12 hrs. I put the phone on a charger and even after an hour, it would not get past the red charging battery icon.

I brought it to the Windows Store kiosk that just opened in the mall and the replaced it with a brand new 1020!

Needless to say I'm happy with the resolution...I will need to look into getting the wireless charging case, but that's not aa big deal.

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
So, the phone eventually died after being on the gears for over 12 hrs. I put the phone on a charger and even after an hour, it would not get past the red charging battery icon.

I brought it to the Windows Store kiosk that just opened in the mall and the replaced it with a brand new 1020!

Needless to say I'm happy with the resolution...I will need to look into getting the wireless charging case, but that's not aa big deal.

Geee...that sucks! :p

Happy they took care of you properly. Now you're on GDR2 because the 1020 HAD to have that update to work. You should download the Lumia Storage Checker and use it from time to time to keep the temp files cleared out and make sure the "Other" doesn't start going wacko on you.

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Yeah, I actually used storage check and cleared the temp files fairly frequently...I had hovered around 8-9gb, and the past few months is when it skyrocketed for no apparent reason. And before I tried doing the full reset, I noticed that I had been misrepresenting the storage and I actually had 19gb of "other!"

I'm glad for Amber, as I got a little taste of it when I bought a 520 to use as an mp3 player. It's little things like double tap to wake that make using it easier and will obviously decrease the wear and tear on the physical buttons.

If anyone ever has the option between going to the Microsoft Store or your carrier's store where you bought the device (AT&T in my case,) definitely go to the Microsoft Store. They are so much more willing to help and they're generally much more easy-going people. I had a similar very positive experience when I was at the Microsoft Store in the Mall of America, too.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
I say just hold off for two weeks! We'll get amber by then and your "Other" storage issue will go away and 50% chance your battery life will get better. If you've been having all these troubles for months, what's another 2 weeks :)

Also, how do you guys get so much "Other" storage? Mine always sits around 2-3GB. Never goes up. Strange...

Nerdy Woman

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
Have you checked the Application details in the Storage Check app? That should break it down for you, tell you which app is the space hog...

As for the battery issue, in the Settings main screen, tap "applications" (to the right of the system heading) and then background tasks... Block anything that absolutely doesn't have to run full-time (like a weather or news live tile, social media notifications -- although these can send notifications through your people app). Apps that require GPS (like HERE Drive+) will turn on GPS when you open the app to get driving directions... If you play graphics-intensive games, your battery will need life support more frequently. It's not just a phone thing, laptops dim and don't last long if you're trying to play World of Warcraft on battery power...

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon