17GB in "Other" and Awful Battery Life - Thoughts?

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Hello,
I have a 920, and I had previously exchanged it once around late November 2012 due to horrendous battery performance (the phone went down 8% while I was talking to the Microsoft Store employee about my battery life.)

Now, my phone has 17GB of "other" storage, and the battery, though always shaky since my replacement has once again been experiencing awful battery performance (yes, I am aware of and utilize all of the battery saving tips; I have only weather, calendar, and battery pro+, no WiFi, no NFC, no location.) I also recently uninstalled all unused apps and soft reset my phone and "other" went unblemished. I suspect the "other" may be connected to my battery performance, but I don't know.

Do you think the people at AT&T or the Microsoft store will consider another replacement? I'm trying to figure-out if it's even worth my time to go down to the Microsoft or AT&T store or if they're going to push me away and I should try hard resetting my phone at home.

If this is in the wrong forum, mods feel free to move it; I posted here because the "other" is a system issue.

***Edit: Additionally, I have reset my phone twice today, and each time, it has immediately decreased the battery by 8%.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
There are many 'Other files' issue threads on here. I suggest doing a search to see if you can come up with a solution. Bit odd that you have that much. I don't think the battery is connected to this issue. I have a bit of a battery drain issue and I have a low Other files.

Taking a stab do you do a lot of downloading? Have you cleared your IE browser data? Also try the Lumia Storage Check and I believe there's another app that may help out.

I would try doing a hard reset. That should fix your Other file issue. Not sure about the battery but sometimes does. It's a pain but give that a go.

If you find no joy with a hard reset I would suggest trying to get a replacement.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
What does the Other say in the storage check on the phone itself. I haven't seen this ever this high. Mine is constantly at 2.5-3gis.

i wonder if there is an app that you use that is malfunctioning. The other issue I have heard is that each time you take a pic, it auto-uploads to skydrive, it saves a 2nd copy on your phone.

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
What does the Other say in the storage check on the phone itself. I haven't seen this ever this high. Mine is constantly at 2.5-3gis.

i wonder if there is an app that you use that is malfunctioning. The other issue I have heard is that each time you take a pic, it auto-uploads to skydrive, it saves a 2nd copy on your phone.
Yes this true. One of the first things I did when I got my 822 was turn off SkyDrive sync for pictures. My other has hovered around 1.25 GB since the Amber update.

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the replies.

Unfortunately, I'm on AT&T, so I can't get the Amber update yet.

"Other" in Storage Check still says 17GB...I cleared internet history, turned-off the SkyDrive uploading, and cleared the temp files through Storage Check, and "other" is still 17gb. I also don't have Xbox games data connecting with the cloud (I rarely play games anyway.) My phone was at 100% and I soft restarted it to see if the "other" section had improved, and upon restart, the battery was at 90%.

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
Well I have 17GB in other on my 920 after GDR2. It has gone down 50-100MB but still. Can't reset, will lose all Whatsapp chats.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Well I have 17GB in other on my 920 after GDR2. It has gone down 50-100MB but still. Can't reset, will lose all Whatsapp chats.

Maybe I'm way off in left field, but it sure seems to me that most of the users with "Other" and battery issues are also Whatsapp users.

Screenshots or I call BS!

This might be something, I have wondered if there was an app that was causing all of this, not the skydrive auto-upload. , Do the people who have this other issue, do they use Whatsapp, I do have mine installed but I never use it. I have unlimited text, so I find whatsapp pointless.

I have skydrive auto upload turned on, my other is at 2.6 right this moment (just checked) It has gone up to 3.5gigs and down to 2gigs, not sure why it changes.

KKRLessey

Aug 23, 2012
Visit site
This might be something, I have wondered if there was an app that was causing all of this, not the skydrive auto-upload. , Do the people who have this other issue, do they use Whatsapp, I do have mine installed but I never use it. I have unlimited text, so I find whatsapp pointless.

I have skydrive auto upload turned on, my other is at 2.6 right this moment (just checked) It has gone up to 3.5gigs and down to 2gigs, not sure why it changes.

Interesting I may have to reset this weekend and lose my Whatsapp messages :'(

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Interesting I may have to reset this weekend and lose my Whatsapp messages :'(

Whatsapp messages are now backed up. I reset my phone and got all my whatsapp messages back. I think Whatsapp themselves restore them for you from their servers rather than Skydrive.

WP7_Genius

Dec 11, 2011
Visit site
I had same battery issues and what a user on here told me, forgot his name, was do a soft reset and download the app battery. Put phone in airplane mode and FULLY CHARGE it to 100. Leave in airplane mode and DO NOT TOUCH it for an hour. Open battery app and check drainage. Send a screen shot afterwards so we can see the drain rate. It fixed mines now I get 20-30hrs of battery

falconrap

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Before Amber I had 8.5GB of other on my 822, leaving me almost no space. Since Amber, and running the Lumia Storage Check and clearing the temp files, I've been at around 1.2-1.3GB with SkyDrive autoupload turned on. It's no longer growing. AT&T really needs to get on the ball and get you 920 folks updated. One thing I would try is to drain your battery all the way down until the phone turns off then let it charge overnight. This will force the battery chip to recalibrate. I had this issue going on once, and letting the phone drain down most of the way and recharging, made the daily drain a lot less because the problem wasn't the charge...it was the measurement from the chip and what level it was determining it to be at. That helped a ton, although, Amber makes the battery last a lot longer as well.

I would also make sure you don't have any apps sitting there tombstoned in the background. I had a bible app, of all things, that I would leave open in he background and discovered that, for some reason, it was rapidly causing battery drain when put in the background and left there (think 6-8%). Closing it completely eliminated that drain. There are just so many things that can be causing this issue, so make sure you cover all of your bases before you go through the hassle of a hard reset. If none of that works, though, then a hard reset is certainly in order. If it still doesn't work, it could be a defective battery.

misterpunn

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I haven't done a hard reset yet because I haven't wanted to do lose all my settings and app data, but it seems as though that might be my only option now. I might be able to try it tomorrow, but otherwise I'll have to wait until Saturday.

Thanks for the tip, WP7_Genius, I'll try that after the hard reset.

envio

Jun 20, 2012
Visit site
There are lots of things that 'Other' could be, in fact, it's anything that isn't one of the categories listed in phone storage.

One of the least appreciated is maps, do you have any offline maps installed? Here Maps/Drive and the built-in Maps use the same map files and they are counted as 'Other' in storage.

Other big hitters are e-mails including attachments - what is your time duration for the option 'Download e-mail from' across all your e-mail accounts? This could be keeping masses of past e-mails permanently on your phone.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
LOL you already answered your own question/issue with one line

1 - Whatsapp eats battery life
2 - you can't reset because you "will lose all Whatsapp chats" soo from that little line it tells me you have A LOT of chats on this app that are very lengthly right? ok well a big portion of "other storage" is saved messages and app caches.

why do you need to horde and save all your chat conversations? honestly

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)