Wondering about buying the 925 - do you recommend it?

1Guest

Sep 25, 2013
Visit site
So, I am thinking about buying the Nokia LUMIA 925. I have the Samsung Galaxy S2, but it died from moisture exposure. I haven't had a Nokia for quite some time. I don't want a bigger phone than the Samsung Galaxy S2, so I don't want the regular S4. Do you recommend the Nokia LUMIA 925? For me, the most important (other than size) for me is 1) camera, 2) battery life and 3) an ok, but not necessarily the best, music player.
I've also considered the HTC One Mini, the Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini and the Sony Xperia ZR, which seems quite similar. Do you guys think that the Nokia LUMIA 925 is better (from yours and mine criteria)?

wpguy

Aug 16, 2012
Visit site
I recommend without reservation, though I have to admit to very little experience with Android. That said, I will try to address your points.
1. Camera is very good, especially in low-light. Not as good as my prosumer Canon, but as good or better than the point-and-shoot cameras we have and don't use anymore. The optical image stabilization yields far fewer blurry pictures too.
2. Battery life can vary greatly depending on apps. Most games tend to use it more, while productivity apps tend to go on forever. Like everyone else in the office with every other kind of smartphone I'm usually plugged in and charging while at my desk. Weekends, I can usually go all day (up to 16 hrs) mixed usage.
3. Music player works reasonably well, and uses very little battery power. I can have it run for a few hours and the meter has barely changed. I always download my songs to my phone, rather than rely on streaming. If I wanted hiccups in my music I'd listen to AM radio. BTW, the 925 includes an FM receiver that works when headphones are plugged in (they act as the antenna). Sometimes it's nice to listen to a real radio.

multo

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I'll say go for the 925. Camera has been great so far. Had several androids and nothing comes close. Battery is really user dependent. Never really concerned me as I use my phones a lot. Can't really comment on music since I'm not a music guy. That being said, check out other options as well so you'll have other choices on the wp platform. If storage is gonna be a concern, you could opt for the 920 unless you've got a Voda 925 which gives the bigger storage since the regular 925 is only 16gb. It'll be heavier though but it's not bad.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

zinksilver

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
- this is a mini review I posted in another thread, I think it might give you some insights from a 925 owner -
Well I got my 925 exactly one week ago and it is both my first flagship phone and my first Windows Phone (I still consider the 925 the all-rounder flagship and the 1020 the cameraphone flagship).
I must say that this is indeed the best (smart)phone that I have used until now. This is kind of a long review; so if tl;dr, please read the bold bits and jump to the bottom, please!

• Design

Design-wise it feels light, but not feather-like, meaning you still get some comfortable grip. You can hold it with one hand, though you might end up resting your fingers on the lens. If it gets annoying, try to rest it in between the lens and the dual-LED flash, where the hump starts (this can give a bit of extra grip, so less accidents with the floor). Sideways, you get the chance to admire that beauty of an aluminium frame, and it is more eye-popping when it comes in silver, rather than the more bland and dark-ish on the black version of the handset (this is the colour I got).
    The buttons have a nice feeling when pressing them - not too hard, not too soft - but the power/lock button can become noisy sometimes, may you be in complete silence and press it. I also like the metal/aluminium corners, where they get those iPhone4-ish black stripes. The bottom and left side are plain, and I agree when I see some reviews online that this thing looks like a stealth bomber. It's like if a stealth machine of destruction met this futuristic alien tech. And it is awesome.
    The top of the device is kind of busy with the headphone jack/microSIM slot and microUSB port all together, but guess what, you're facing your phone upfront, you won't notice these most of the time.
    The back? Well, the back is as beautiful as the front. I love the mix of features (how they look), like the speaker grill and the charging pins, and how it makes this baby different from the competition. The camera hump makes you say to yourself, even more, that this is a proud camera smartphone. It's nice to look at and the Pureview & Carl Zeiss branding leave some people asking you questions. The dual-led flash is unobtrusive. The black polycarbonate back has got some serious relationship with fingerprints and smudges, though the screen has a very efficient oleophobic coating. I can't see any fingerprints at all (I know, it's new and it will wear off after some time, what's the deal. The iPhone 5 on day one had fingerprints all over it, maybe it was intentional to make people get ready for Touch ID :winktongue:)

• Screen/Display

The screen blends so nicely into the body that I couldn't find any better out there. Don't get me wrong, some screens are really nice on other phones, but this one (and the 1020's, etc) is just plain beautiful. The light plays nice with the reflections on it, giving the device a special feeling. (note: screen != display). For the display, I have to repeat the word 'beautiful'. I really like the fact that I cannot distinguish individual pixels, so I'm not complaining (more like not moaning?) for not having 1080p fHD here. You get a pretty high resolution and detail with 720p + AMOLED, and that ClearBlack feature turns out to be stunning. The black background and the bezels are almost exactly the same colour, so where does the screen/display start and where does it end? While obvious, it's still a good mind-trick. Colour reproduction is vivid, bright and sunlight legibility is really good (for the standards). Didn't try the gloves feature yet, but hey, I trust what Nokia's saying there.

• Software/Features

This is the first time I use Windows Phone. I'll say it proudly: this is, by far, the best mobile Operating System I've used, and WP8 is now my mainly driver.
    Coming from an Android-filled world, I was getting tired of the annoyances: lag, lag, lag. Oh and stop right there if you say that I "used a Galaxy Ace hence the lag". Stop it. I used main flagship phones, with the latest Android versions (no nexus there, sorry) and it still lagged. Probably due to the horrible forks some OEMs do to the OS, but quad-cores and octa-cores should not give you lag or random force closes. Also, updates. Do you know how frustrating it is not to get even a minor update, then your OEM/whatever releases another flagship a few months after yours was launched, updates it, and you are left behind? Then: you have to dive and swim infinitely on xda forums to root, unbrick, install custom roms, change apps, etc. It's probably one of the most time consuming and warranty-hating things in this planet.
    What I mean to say is that with Windows Phone 8 (rocking Amber + GDR2 here) I cannot feel any lag. No lag at all. Animations are fluid: check. Everything scrolls smoothly: check. Quality apps: check.
    Seriously, even the fact that goodies (i.e. Bing Vision) and Facebook are integrated into the OS makes me love it more. Personalisation is good and the Modern UI is something I loved since the early days of "Metro". As for the apps: I have all the quality apps. GPS with *proper* offline support. Greatly designed apps/games. Xbox. Office. Skydrive. Office. Outlook. Did I say Office? :wink: (I use it that much).
    Ok, I admit! I still miss some games that I had on Android, but that is it. There's only one complain here: not having a close button or a nice method for closing running apps. The back button thing gets tiring after some time.
    [edit] 16gb memory is not an issue for me, so not commenting on that. It's up to how you fill it up.

• Camera and conclusion

I'm sorry folks, but I haven't tested the camera as much as I wanted to, due to being working almost all day. I took some pictures and low-light is indeed incredible. Check the 'pictures taken with your Lumia 925' thread to see some samples (mine as well).
    Sorry for the long and somehow out of topic review, but I got the opportunity here to do it. I think it's also relevant, in general, if you want to know about the 925 and are an absolute beginner with the Windows Phone world or if you are 'afraid' of switching.
Resuming (and for the tl;dr bastardites) - this is a great phone, it feels premium, it feels flagship, it feels solid and it looks futuristic. So, if you're like me and want the best all-rounder Windows Phone device* in a slim body with a premium look/feel, go for it.

*until now. October might break this, a bit.

Last edited:

Antoniu

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
In one word BEST ! PHONE OUT THERE . No issue with my device. The phone became a little bit warmer when I speak on Skype , but just in right upper corner..If you use for conference back camera then the phone it's more warmer . I spoke with 82% battery life 90 minutes and my battery drop to 7%. If you play games then battery drain faster. Overall the phone is high-tech and I believe it's a good choice .

Antoniu

justinhopaolo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Totally bummed. I didn't know of the cap in downloading using data. What's the point of having lte connection if I can,only download using data a max of 50mb?

Sent from my Lumia 925 Tapatalk

justinhopaolo

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
Totally bummed. I didn't know of the cap in downloading using data. What's the point of having lte connection if I can,only download using data a max of 50mb?

Sent from my Lumia 925 Tapatalk

dosto

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
Although my primary phone is the Q10, I've been using the 925 as my secondary device for a while and really like it.

Considering your stated needs, I think the 925 would serve you well and you would really like it.

The camera is great, battery life is as good, if not better, than similar phones and the music player is servicable. IMO, the 925 is an overall great device.

jmerrey

Dec 9, 2010
Visit site
If you can hold out, why not wait to see what Nokia announces in a few weeks? I know in technology the next best thing is always right around the corner, but this really is close. Heck, worst-case scenario is you get a 925 for cheap because the newer phones Nokia announces drive the prices down.

seangprice

Sep 19, 2013
Visit site
Here's a small comparison from a personal experience with Android, WP8 and now IOS 7... I've been an avid hardcore Android user for almost four years. I've rooted, S-offed and all kinds of hacks to get my Android devices to function they way I want them to work. They do work eventually but with a lot of work and customization. This past August I had the opportunity to try something new so I ordered the 925. I loved the design and build of the Nokia 925. The Overall user experience and setup of WP8 was flawless and I loved the simplicity. I know another company uses the moniker "It Just Works" but truly WP8 does JUST WORK. I loved the overall user experience but unfortunately I experienced signal loss in my home which I have never had with a previous device. I have since returned the 925 and now I'm using an iPhone 5s 32GB. I actually love the IOS experience but now I'm almost ready to return the iPhone and get a 925 again and use WiFi calling to mitigate the signal issues in my home.

To the Point.. Get the 925 and try it out if you have a good return policy. I loved my brief but very enjoyable experience with WP8 and the Lumia devices!

doubleyewpee

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Simply put, I just switched over from Android and am in love with my 925. OS is better than I thought it would be, infact, it's outright freakin' awesome. Phone build quality is fantastic as well. Really satisfied with my purchase and the switch over to WP!

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely recommend it. I now use the Lumia 1020 but I still think that the L925 is the sexiest phone Nokia has ever made, even if we factor in those that they announced at Nokia World. The camera is nothing to scoff at either. My mom, who now has my L925, and is a photography newbie, actually takes really awesome pics with the L925. She's loving it a lot.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb