920 - Bad signal after Amber Update

scalpetti

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

My 920 is having problems with the signal. After the Amber update i barely get 2 lines, and from time to time there is no signal at all. I have heard about this problem with other software versions (1308 i guess), but i thought that it will get fixed. Before the Amber update the phone was working just fine.

Is anyone else out there that encountered this problem?

rianash

May 27, 2013
Visit site
Aye. Similar problem here but with 620. After amber update, my phone lost signal easily and oftenly when set to 3G (calls always dropped, no internet connection though showing E). Although, signal was quite constant when set to 2G (no dropped calls, Edge internet connection running).

It's not carrier network related, as when I put the SIM card in wife's 720 (unupdated with amber), 3G signal was fine including internet connection (showing H, H+), no dropped calls.

But then, after 3-4 days 3G signal is back. I did nothing but cursing and several soft restart.

BUT, BUT, BUT, now it gives off a lot of heat when in 3G, and drains the battery very fast. It has been 1 day like that. But this afternoon, the phone seems to be cooler (to be confirmed for the following days).

Hard reset is recommended elsewhere. But I'm too lazy to reinstall apps, maps, etc. So, I will continue cursing and soft resetting, until I'm bored.

Well, that's not helping you, eh? Well, at least you know you're not alone.. :grin:

If anyone else having similar situation, please share here. With or without solution. At least we know if the problem is limited to a small bunch of people, or in a larger scale.

Amber, amber.. you take my slumber..

Update: Now, the 3G heat and sick-fast battery drain problems seems to be gone. That is after I let the battery phone discharged until it is off on itself (0%). Then charged back until full (100%). Not bad. Although, not so smart update method (amber)..

Last edited:

scalpetti

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
On 3G and 4G the signal comes and goes. On 2G it won't even work.
I know that it's not carrier related as i transferred the sim into my old lumia 800 and works perfect.

Well, I did both soft and hard reset and nothing changed. With the 920 still in the warranty period i took it today to the retailer from which i bought it. It will go into service, and i'm waiting an answer from them.

MrWhiteman

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem and was convinced that update 1308 caused it, but after sending it away 3 times it turned out that the aerial was faulty. I could get a full signal in town/city centres but anywhere that didn't have close masts (outside of town) I had no signal at all. But the 3G signal would pop up every couple of days again and then go again.

scalpetti

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problem and was convinced that update 1308 caused it, but after sending it away 3 times it turned out that the aerial was faulty. I could get a full signal in town/city centres but anywhere that didn't have close masts (outside of town) I had no signal at all. But the 3G signal would pop up every couple of days again and then go again.

I could be next to a carrier antenna and still won't get more than 3 bars on the signal. Since the phone was working just fine before the update, i suspect that the update did screw something up.

Xethluna

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
The same thing is happening on my Lumia 720 after the Amber Update. H+ signal comes and goes intermittently. I did soft reset and hard reset but none of them worked. If i'm in my office on the 7th floor, the H+ signal appears for a few minutes then goes away after 20 minutes or so.

Please post if there's a fix. I'm so close to throwing my phone out the window. XD

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo