Nokia Wireless Charging Cover

BU2B

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone felt disappointed when they got their hands on one of these? I am.

I like how it protects the back of the phone and adds wireless charging, but what I don't like how it clips on. It's not a tight fit; when handling the device I can sometimes feel it move around because the clips can slide a little bit. I much prefer the 925 cases where it clips onto the actual corners of the device.

I'm not particularly sure I like the bulk of the device when it's added; I had an loved a 920 and while I don't think it's much thicker overall, it just feels a little more clunky, probably because it is a case. My final gripe is like the 925 cases, waking up in the morning I'll find my battery slightly discharged (between 1-2%) despite being on the charger the entire night. This behaviour was not present with the 920.

What are your thoughts?

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
yeah, the fit is not as tight as i like to be. i wonder if i can add some thin soft padding inside without affecting the charging.

the material is excellent though. same as the phone, i like the color match and texture.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The wireless charging cover actually exceeded my expectations. The phone feels better in the hand to me with it on. It seems easier to hold while not feeling any bigger or more clunky. It does add some hard edges, especially in the corners, but that hasn't been a problem for me. I like how easy it is to take off and put on. It doesn't seem loose to me, except that the corners do creak a bit if I squeeze them against the phone. That does feel a bit cheap, but I look at it as the price to pay for it being easy to take off and put on.

And then of course, there's the wireless charging. Works perfectly for me on the DT900 charging plate. No fiddling around, I just put it on there and in about 1.5 hours it's fully charged. I rarely use the USB port anymore and could go fully wireless if MS ever allowed some form of wireless file transfer. Maybe in another 5 years or so...

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Would you have considered that the cover is suitable to wear for the lumia all the time? I would have thought only put it on when you want to charge it.

Last edited:

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
The only time I remove it is when I need to in order to use the camera grip, which is required when using a tripod. I consider the improved feel to be a significant benefit of the cover, outweighing the increased weight. Plus it doesn't seem very sensible to me to put it on for each charging and then remove it after. You might as well plug in via USB at that point.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Mine's going to be here soon! Amazon said "If I order by xxx receive it by Saturday" but shipping says it won't be here until Monday. Oh well, glad to hear positive feedback about it!

JaimitoFrog

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
Found a really simple fix for the loose fix.

take a regular 3M magic scotch tape, split length wise, to width of the charging shell's clips, and stick them on the inside surface. Shape or cut them such that none of it is visible from the outside. And voila! No more squeaks, and the clip feels tighter. The charging is not affected since it doesn't add any thickness to the back of phone where the contact is.

this still allows you to remove the shell, and not have any marks on the phone.

TechyMexican

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
My shell was really loose, to the point that I wanted to sell my 1020 and get a 920 just for the convenience of having it all built in. But I applied a small amount of tape on each corner and it no longer squeaks! Having it squeak every day for the past week reminded me of that SpongeBob episode with the squeaky boots. it was driving me crazy.

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone getting excessive heating while charging through wireless cover? it started when it charged up to 100% and i left it there for about another hr or so...and i found my phone really hot..

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I'm kind of shocked they require you to purchase the cover to do wireless charging - very disappointed. You should (IMHO) be able to wirelessly charge WITHOUT any case at all, and the contacts should be for optional cases/battery case combos for those who want a case (I hate any extra bulk on my phone, particularly one that's already as substantial as the 1020 - millimeters MATTER, Nokia!). :unhappy:

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm having no success with the wireless charger - when I put the 1020 in its cover (CC-3066) down on the plate, most of the time nothing at all happens, and occasionally in certain positions the light blinks fast for 15 seconds or so, then goes out.
I only got this yesterday - is this user error, or have I got a faulty one? What is the correct positioning of the phone on the plate?
Any help gratefully received, thanks.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
In my experience the 1020 is not so picky about how it is positioned over the plate. I just try to center it. This results in the bottom edge of the phone sticking over the bottom edge of the plate by just a little bit, maybe a quarter of an inch.

There was another thread around here about the pins of the wireless charging cover not sticking out enough. I guess people had to carefully pull on them or something, but I don't know, it just worked out of the box for me.

By the way, I have noticed that if I leave the phone on the plate for a couple of minutes after it hits 100%, it gets pretty warm. If I take it off immediately once it hits 100%, it's only slightly warm. Doesn't make much sense to me...

lostlogik

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Got my wireless cover today and am reasonably happy with it. I say reasonably because I already have an excellent Noreve luxury leather case but sadly that isn't wireless (and they wont incorporate wireless into their cases either, I asked). So what I'll probably end up doing is use the wireless back when I'm around home and swap covers when I go out.

The fit of the wireless cover is good and it works well on the charge plate - no issues with positioning causing it not to charge. Just wish I had a wireless "all over" cover.

6029KingStephen

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
There was another thread around here about the pins of the wireless charging cover not sticking out enough. I guess people had to carefully pull on them or something, but I don't know, it just worked out of the box for me.

Many thanks for that reply tgr. It was indeed the pins that were bent over, as suggested i pulled them upright and it is now working fine :)

Good forum this!

sdc1

Jun 25, 2013
Visit site
Mine creaks a bit and I'm undecided about whether or not I want to keep it on all the time. As a case it offers minimal protection and I'd rather have something made of leather. Putting it on to charge and then removing it makes wireless charging a bit pointless.

I think I might invest in a nice case and stick to USB charging.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3