16 (May be more) REASONS TO THINK AGAIN BEFORE PURCHASING LUMIA SERIES....!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

SuneelReddy

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
My review on my Lumia 720 after usage of about a month...!!!

If I divide PROS and CONS, all PROS goes to Nokia and all CONS comes under windows.

PROS - Ultra stylish look, Awesome touch, Quality Camera, Long lasting battery life...etc. U would have read all these everywhere

and here is the main part-

CONS -

1. No proper browser (UC browser is the only one available other than the default IE)
2. As we all are well aware of IE , I started using UC browser - in every 20 seconds of my browsing, screen goes blank for 10 seconds saying the memory is getting cleaned. Since I'm a heavy net surfer, I couldn't digest this.
3. We cant scroll the music or videos to the respective point directly, we need to hold the forward button till the dot reaches the desired time range.
4. There is no ON/OF option for auto motion(screen automatically goes vertical/horizontal and we don't have any control on this). It will be a very good neck exercise :)
5. There is a folder named 'Other' in my phone memory, which already occupied 2.5 GB and still growing fast. No option to clean this up. I heard - only temporary files will be stored under this folder.
6. Downloaded maps are getting installed directly in the phone memory (I can't see any option to move these to SD card)
7. If you dial a number and later found a number is mistyped, if you try to edit and call - you are really wasting time, just type the entire number again.
8. You cant scroll online videos, you are forced to finish the entire video :)
9. The headset given with this phone is the worst ever crap I've seen in my entire life.
10. I'm still not sure how set a ringtone of our choice other the sh!t which Nokia have provided. (I don't have time to search on web for THIS problem)
11. Unable to create a play list directly, prompts me to connect to the computer (What a joke..!!)
12. No music apps in the store. U just have to fight with the defualt music app given.
13. Maps are OKAY , there is no satellite view option - you just see plain lines.
14. Not able to download attachments from my mail box.
15. No file explorer, for those who asks why ? If need to rename a file with different extn for security reasons and later edit when ever needed, do I have an option ?
16. If you click on any option, your screen goes blank for 3-4 seconds with a 'Loading' message (This will really test your patience)

Few of these CONS which I mentioned here might have solutions in web already (Not sure)

There are lot more that I can't remember now and I will post those later. I'm giving 2 stars because of the few PROS I mentioned earlier...!!!

You can pm me if you have any queries or answers for the above.......!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
1. No proper browser (UC browser is the only one available other than the default IE)

Microsoft have no rule against people adding other browsers. Google/Firefox etc. are all welcome to add theirs. Contact them and request it.

2. As we all are well aware of IE , I started using UC browser - in every 20 seconds of my browsing, screen goes blank for 10 seconds saying the memory is getting cleaned. Since I'm a heavy net surfer, I couldn't digest this.

Contact UC Browser developer, or stop using it.

3. We cant scroll the music or videos to the respective point directly, we need to hold the forward button till the dot reaches the desired time range.

Yes, this would be good.

4. There is no ON/OF option for auto motion(screen automatically goes vertical/horizontal and we don't have any control on this). It will be a very good neck exercise :)

Coming in next update.

5. There is a folder named 'Other' in my phone memory, which already occupied 2.5 GB and still growing fast. No option to clean this up. I heard - only temporary files will be stored under this folder.

Nokia provides an app to clean this - settings/storage check.

6. Downloaded maps are getting installed directly in the phone memory (I can't see any option to move these to SD card)

Same storage check app will put maps on SD card.

7. If you dial a number and later found a number is mistyped, if you try to edit and call - you are really wasting time, just type the entire number again.

Not sure on context here.

Press back stops the video.

9. The headset given with this phone is the worst ever crap I've seen in my entire life.

Go spend more than the $80 on your 520/521 and you'll get quality. Perhaps $300 on some Bose headphones will provide the quality you desire.

10. I'm still not sure how set a ringtone of our choice other the sh!t which Nokia have provided. (I don't have time to search on web for THIS problem)

Let me Bing that for you!

Lazy sh!t.

11. Unable to create a play list directly, prompts me to connect to the computer (What a joke..!!)

Add songs to "Now Playing", then "Save as Playlist". Using long presses help here.

12. No music apps in the store. U just have to fight with the defualt music app given.

Nokia Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio... lots of music apps.

13. Maps are OKAY , there is no satellite view option - you just see plain lines.

HERE Maps - in the bottom right is a Layers icon. Press and select Satellite.

They download and view. If you'd said 'save', you'd be correct.

15. No file explorer, for those who asks why ? If need to rename a file with different extn for security reasons and later edit when ever needed, do I have an option ?

Guess an iPhone would suck for you too. There is a reason a Windows Phone is the most secure phone in the world.

16. If you click on any option, your screen goes blank for 3-4 seconds with a 'Loading' message (This will really test your patience)

Do you even have a Lumia phone? Never seen that in my life.

Sounds like you need to explore your phone more rather than beating up. Did you drop your iPhone and momma didn't want to buy a replacement?

krox1105

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site

Microsoft have no rule against people adding other browsers. Google/Firefox etc. are all welcome to add theirs. Contact them and request it.

Contact UC Browser developer, or stop using it.

Yes, this would be good.

Coming in next update.

Nokia provides an app to clean this - settings/storage check.

Same storage check app will put maps on SD card.

Not sure on context here.

Press back stops the video.

Go spend more than the $80 on your 520/521 and you'll get quality. Perhaps $300 on some Bose headphones will provide the quality you desire.

Let me Bing that for you!

Lazy sh!t.

Add songs to "Now Playing", then "Save as Playlist". Using long presses help here.

Nokia Music, Pandora, iHeartRadio... lots of music apps.

HERE Maps - in the bottom right is a Layers icon. Press and select Satellite.

They download and view. If you'd said 'save', you'd be correct.

Guess an iPhone would suck for you too. There is a reason a Windows Phone is the most secure phone in the world.

Do you even have a Lumia phone? Never seen that in my life.

Sounds like you need to explore your phone more rather than beating up. Did you drop your iPhone and momma didn't want to buy a replacement?

The guy is ignorant, lazy, and loves to rant. No use explaining it to him. Besides, he doesn't have the time to find a solution for his *so called* ringtone problem, yet he has the time to post crap here.

anon5351951

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This guy is a tad ridiculous... So many stupid things in there I can't be arsed writing a huge reply. One big irritation though is the comment about IE. IE10 mobile for windows phone is an excellent browser. I hate this idea people have of IE when it was all based on the desktop version from years ago. Desktop IE is great now. And the mobile one has no relationship with it so it was always great. Absolute numpty.

christenmartin

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This guy is a tad ridiculous... So many stupid things in there I can't be arsed writing a huge reply. One big irritation though is the comment about IE. IE10 mobile for windows phone is an excellent browser. I hate this idea people have of IE when it was all based on the desktop version from years ago. Desktop IE is great now. And the mobile one has no relationship with it so it was always great. Absolute numpty.
I get a little confused on the browser thing myself. IE is fast, every thing loads good, I'm definitely missing something. My buddy has a sg3 and we've had some browser races. IE does well.

Selachiah

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
That was a great answer. I'm not sure how to "like" it like others have.

If you don't mind me asking - I don't know what the feature is called - but on other OS's i can start typing a number and then it will bring up possibilities so I don't have to type the whole thing. This is just a question out of curiosity, not frustration. But is this function possible on windows phone? I have a Lumia 720.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
My review on my Lumia 720 after usage of about a month...!!!

If I divide PROS and CONS, all PROS goes to Nokia and all CONS comes under windows.

PROS - Ultra stylish look, Awesome touch, Quality Camera, Long lasting battery life...etc. U would have read all these everywhere

and here is the main part-

CONS -

In videos you can jump directly by tapping anywhere on the seek bar
Amber update addresses this issue
I have that option, you have it too, probably you haven't installed available updates
There is a backspace button when dialling a number
I have been watching videos on metrotube without any problems, not sure where you get this one. Even regular youtube videos on browser can be jumped by tapping any point on seekbar.
Really!?, You could actually drop any mp3 file in the phone's ringtone folder, it cannot get any easier
Not sure if you even tried doing the 3D or satellite view
I'll have to quote your words in point 11. "What a joke...!", just tap on the attachment and make sure you are connected to the internet
Blank, I am not trying to be funny, but the screen grays out, not sure if you close your eyes for those 3-4 secs?

Few of these CONS which I mentioned here might have solutions in web already (Not sure)

There are lot more that I can't remember now and I will post those later. I'm giving 2 stars because of the few PROS I mentioned earlier...!!!

You can pm me if you have any queries or answers for the above.......!!!!

I am 'sure' you can wipe some points off your list and make it shorter now.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I don't even get the point of this thread.

The title is in capitals like it was really super important. Then the OP states that he likes the stuff from Nokia but has a huge list of issues with WP8 most of which have recently been shut down by people more in the know.

Surely this thread should be titled something like "My issues with WP8 after a month of use" No caps needed, No exclamation marks, just another disgruntled user that isn't sure how to use his phone. I know there are multiple threads going on the problems with WP8 I don't see the reason to spend time making a long list when a few searches would have revealed similar threads and answers to the problems

Move along - nothing to see here.

Oh wait, I can add to the list
17. WHY CAN I ONLY HAVE SIX IE WINDOWS OPEN AT ONCE!! I WANT 8, OR 10!!!

zorb58

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
If you need a "file manager" on your phone you're using it wrong. There is no need for it. Use a computer for your important/secure files.

Lenin17301

Oct 14, 2012
Visit site
As for Con number 15, you shouldn't be downloading your pedophilia related pics and videos to your phone, that way you could avoid the need to rename files for security reasons. As for the other Cons, you are absolutely right, so please sell your Lumia 720 and never come back to WPCentral, and we'll all be happy.

crash1989

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Point 1 - Microsoft allows browsers like UC broswer but they are actually running the IE Engine underneath in simple terms. Mozilla actually commented on this saying that they'd like to run their own engine but can't hence they have dropped their plans until the support kicks in. THey are making one for Windows 8 though ... yawn ... sometime next year

UC browser works fine.

Point 7 - Use apps like RapDialer or something to ease your frustration. I only type into the phone dialer when something is jotted down other times I have the handy copy paste feature.

You 'asks' these silly questions without researching you's gonna get bad repo. Try having little patience with your device it'll work out, if not please switch lest you be more FRUSTRATED.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett