Taking 920 to school

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I just got my paws on a cyan 920 a week ago (wow they just EOL'ed it too) or so, after immediately voiding the warranty through flashing (heh) I made myself at home.

At my school located on the east coast USA, all you see (as far as smartphones go) is iPhones, Galaxies galore, iPads (although one girl has an RT) and some Nexuses.
(there's a bunch of others like LG and whatnot, but this is just first-glance)

I would think I had the only WP in the school, except I saw two guys toting 521s a couple weeks ago, but not much else. A friend who had a Radar (WP7.5) last year is now Galaxy equipped (not sure which)
I saw a Lumia 900 in use at our Homecoming (I wasn't actively looking, someone just happened to be taking a photo there :p )
There was another cyan 900 in Spanish class last year that my teacher took, don't know if its still in use.

Cue Lumia 920.

It's gotten attention. People like it in general, it has a really nice design, albeit a bit on the larger side, some people know about WP, but it has a bit of a image problem gauging from some, I don't know if it will ever shake the app-selection reputation. (me personally have found pretty much anything i could want and more in the Store, sans an SFTP client though) A classmate's dad had one, and he said that WP "never lets you down" in terms of performance and stuff like that.

Apparently it was the first ever seen in person by a friend of mine.
K said its something she may want to get someday. (current iPhone 4 user)

One point I've used the multitasking and *friend* was like. "OMG THATS JUST LIKE iOS 7" I pulled up search and went all webOS on him xD
The age of that feature (7.5) was just a side note lol.

I've gotten a remark "oh the crappiness", but the guy never used it. He just associated it with desktop Windows 8. So I made an iOS / OSX analogy for him.

If anyone I know reads this, please don't publicize me.

I think they just need to get demoes into people's hands, show them the legitimacy of 3rd-party solutions and they have somewhat of a winner. Keeping Nokia branding would be a nice boost to get people to try it as well.

Just a collection of my thoughts I might update this if anything outlandish happens ;)

Narse77

Feb 7, 2013
Visit site
I think high schools etc is the biggest hurdle for WP as it's a bunch of people trying to look cool to their peers. So anything that the masses don't like is immediately seen as inferior. Good job showing it off to your peers :) The more people that use it the better!
Also regarding Windows 8, The only people that knock Windows 8 are the ones that either 1.Never used it or 2. Can't deal with change.

_Emi_

Apr 18, 2012
Visit site
Just like he didnt use Windows Phone and called it crap, he probably havent used Windows 8 either. anyway, I dont get why "Windows 8 sucks, Tablet UI gah gah" dont they know Windows is so open you can even install 3rd party of almost anything? including themes, start screen/menu? you can pretty much mod all your Windows and make it look like a weird abomination coming from hell (like osx ;)). so again, just like he insulted WP, he probably only follow people like a monkey and say what they say, and insult Win8 as well without trying it or just mod it himself to his likes. like a start menu instead of a start screen (even though start screen is so much better, especially on 8.1)

and well you cant never win, I have seen couple of WP around my country. I even saw a lumia 610 still with 7.5 (maybe someday i will talk to this person and tell how to update it lol), but its not like i care so much what phone people use. as long as Im happy with my device.
and about App selection, well I use what is available, and if i can do other things on the browser im fine with it, of course, this is just me. I think a phone its just a pone and it shouldn't matter if I use an old dumb phone or a smartphone or which brand. there is alot of 3rd party apps, people will say "but we want official apps" well but there are not, if people cant deal with it, well they can go to other OSs. some developers just dont care.
and anyway, if more and more people use it, it will become more popular and if it works and people dont care whats the best selling pone, WP will gain more and more people, because its a nice and easy OS, and while people may say alot of things about it, it does most of the things people need with a Smartphone, and thats the important.

Jupast

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
"He just associated it with desktop Windows 8".

Part of what i feel has been an issue from the start, attaching the Windows brand to it.

I wonder if he would have thought it was 'cool' if it was the Xbox Phone. Not suggesting that's a good name either, but it's all about perception etc.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I am in love with Bing Rewards. sad to see the $5 option dissappear. And it was just as I picked up my 920. (when I was sure WP was going to be mine)

its interesting how timing works with me.
wanted to go 820 but had to wait a little while longer = 820 EOL'ed
decided to go cyan 920 = cyan EOL'ed a couple days later
time to go full Bing Rewards! = $5 option gone.

welp I just picked up Spartan Assault and so far it seems like a winner (albeit with a couple oddities in terms of controls)

boovish

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Oh my goodness! I love doing the same thing. I got a bright red Nokia Lumia 822 on Valentines day, and people always ask, "is that a case?". I would love to pay full price for the 928, because it came out 2 weeks after my B-day which is when I got it, but I'm gonna wait to see what other colors that they release. I hope they will do all the funky colors like Yellow, Cyan, Red, but I doubt they will do anything other than Red. And related to Bing Rewards program, I had so many points, and I put them into 27 entries for the Lumia 928. I didn't win. I was very pissed off.

hoovermac

Jul 11, 2012
Visit site
Just like he didnt use Windows Phone and called it crap, he probably havent used Windows 8 either. anyway, I dont get why "Windows 8 sucks, Tablet UI gah gah" dont they know Windows is so open you can even install 3rd party of almost anything? including themes, start screen/menu? you can pretty much mod all your Windows and make it look like a weird abomination coming from hell (like osx ;)). so again, just like he insulted WP, he probably only follow people like a monkey and say what they say, and insult Win8 as well without trying it or just mod it himself to his likes. like a start menu instead of a start screen (even though start screen is so much better, especially on 8.1)

Funny you mention the ability to customize the Windows 8 GUI - I installed one of those "Start Button" apps on the family home computer and was asked to take it off. They wanted the tiled UI back. There is a learning curve, but IMHO it's worth the effort.

Now for the phone part of this reply. I teach at a university in Eastern Canada - lots of iPhones, Samsungs, a few HTC, and some Blackberry smartphones. When students see my phone (a red 920), they are really impressed by its looks - I always get a comment like "where did that awesome case come from" and then I tell them it's the phone! People who play with the phone and the UI (almost) always have positive comments. A favourite feature seems to be those apps I have pinned to the start screen with the Live Tiles showing information. It's a nice phone OS, as well as a great OS overall. Yes, it does need a few additions (well-documented on various forum posts and the MS surveys), but overall things seem to be on a good upward trajectory with WP8 and Win8.

Verkunder

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
It's a nice feeling knowing you're the odd man out, being completely [sic] unique. I'm at the point where people ask if anyone has a good camera on their phone, all eyes point to me.

I mean, iPhone 5 vs. Lumia 1020...

1240225_10151984707743455_1342252690_n.jpg1267000_639184472768567_1851701668_o.jpg

No shame in feeling pride! You've got yourself a nice thing there.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
I have only seen like two people I know with windows phones at my school. Both of them had Windows 7.8 tho so it wasn't the newest.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Another update, the design is still liked, a comment on how a friend thought her GSIII was cool until she saw my 920
I kid you not.

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
CONTEXT: a friend dropped my 920 the first couple days a few weeks back. (couple feet, skidded across a dirty tile floor, sustained a couple scratches, looks good still though)
And just tuesday he remarked how there's a noticeable scratch over my back button.
GEE I WONDER HOW THAT GOT THERE. :p

I've run into more WPs lately, two different classmates in two different classes were toting 521s. (although one went back to her LG 'droid, I showed her the ropes of how to use WP though)
and during a club meeting a guy got up to reveal a black 920 next to him. it had the full AT&T text branding, so I guess it was an older 920, right?

I have a friend with a current iPhone 4 deciding between a Nexus 5 and something Lumia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa