1020 Battery Drain

robovik

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Longest battery life I've had on my 1020 so far was about 20 hours (I forgot because I have since reinstalled the battery app). My setting are very similar to yours. I do browse websites and check emails for about 1 hour while on the go. Play some casual games occasionally too (mostly Angry Birds), and may shoot about 10 pictures or so. I also use Viber and other messaging apps sparingly. Do you think it would be a good idea for me to do a reset too? I have already reset this phone once. but I wouldn't mind going through all the trouble again if I could get my battery to perform anywhere near your awesome battery life.

I definitely think you should. Make sure to backup everything beforehand.

I did the kind of reset where you turn your phone off, and press volume down and power button simultaneously until it vibrates three times (and then you release). It takes about 15 seconds for it to vibrate three times. Don't let go after the first vibration.

Panathas

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I don't know what happened but I have my L1020 2 weeks now and today the battery is awesome! Took it 8:00 AM off the charger and 5:30 hours later i'm still at 90%. With a 10-15 mins web surfing, 10 mins music over bluetooth and 15 mins music streaming. This is less than 2% battery drain per hour. Bluetooth was on, Whatsapp, Gmail every 15 mins, Skype, NFC on, and 2-3 other background apps. Using the phone (screen on) drains much more battery than my Nexus4, though. Why?

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Measuring from 100% to 90% may not give you a reliable picture of true battery performance. You should see what the performance is like after the battery level has decreased by at least 30-50%. Or, start measuring once the level hits 80% or below.

As for using the phone with the display on, I've noticed this too. The 1020 has reasonably good standby performance but with the display on it drains the battery way faster than the Nexus 4. My guess is that the 1020's AMOLED display uses a lot more power than the Nexus 4's LCD display. I feel like the 1020 might do better if WP would let us lower the brightness more. Even on low with auto adjustment off it's pretty bright compared to how it is with auto adjustment on in a completely dark room. But oh well, it does look nice.

My strategy for optimal battery life has been to keep the 1020 in standby as much as possible and use the Nexus 4 for web browsing, gaming, email, etc when wi-fi is available. (I got the Nexus 4 to use as a relatively cheap wi-fi only device when they were closing them out.) After using Chrome on the Nexus 4 I only use IE on the 1020 when I really need to. IE is so incredibly far behind when it comes to user interface, performance, and to a lesser extent, site compatibility. Does MS even care at all about trying to improve it? It hardly seems to have evolved throughout the entire lifetime of WP. But I digress.

Kon-Aitor

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
So I just got my 1020 Yesterday. Have been having really bad battery life, I am at 50% within ~4 hours. I did a charge to 100% last night with the included charger.

I installed a battery app and it says I am draining at ~7%/hour.

What has been the consensus, so far, for steps to take to improve battery life/determine if unit needs replacement?

Full Discharge/Charge?
Software Reset(or hardware)?

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
So I just got my 1020 Yesterday. Have been having really bad battery life, I am at 50% within ~4 hours. I did a charge to 100% last night with the included charger.

I installed a battery app and it says I am draining at ~7%/hour.

What has been the consensus, so far, for steps to take to improve battery life/determine if unit needs replacement?

Full Discharge/Charge?
Software Reset(or hardware)?
Try up to 3 full discharges and keep on charging an extra 8 hours after it's done at least once. Theoretically, none of this is supposed to improve battery life, but some people claimed that this seemed to help. Also perform a hard reset, and, to make things easier, do not install any additional apps while testing battery life (not even battery apps). If none of these solutions can help you last a day (or almost a day) of heavy use, it may be a good idea to bring the device back.

Also keep in mind that while features like LTE and Glance do drain extra battery, they are not supposed to affect battery life dramatically.

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
Kon - Try to avoid push updates. I have email sync every hour instead. Also see what is allowed to run in the background, almost everything initially defaults On once you first run an app; go into setting and block any you don't need. For example 'The Football' app that came with my phone had a setting where it would poll for updated every 30 secs I think.

Me: Still running at a day and a half with light to mod use.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
I've got seriously "amazing" battery on my at&t 1020.
But I cannot use it yet as I do not have the unlock code, I've taken like what 30+ pictures? and haven't charged it at all!

But I do feel my camera lacks some sharpness :(

Kon-Aitor

Sep 17, 2007
Visit site
Kon - Try to avoid push updates. I have email sync every hour instead. Also see what is allowed to run in the background, almost everything initially defaults On once you first run an app; go into setting and block any you don't need. For example 'The Football' app that came with my phone had a setting where it would poll for updated every 30 secs I think.

Me: Still running at a day and a half with light to mod use.

This is not my first smartphone. If sync email is killing the battery (not taking 1 hour from a 20 hour life, but taking 4-5 hours out of it), then there is something wrong.
Sync email hurts battery but not that much.

Try up to 3 full discharges and keep on charging an extra 8 hours after it's done at least once. Theoretically, none of this is supposed to improve battery life, but some people claimed that this seemed to help. Also perform a hard reset, and, to make things easier, do not install any additional apps while testing battery life (not even battery apps). If none of these solutions can help you last a day (or almost a day) of heavy use, it may be a good idea to bring the device back.

Also keep in mind that while features like LTE and Glance do drain extra battery, they are not supposed to affect battery life dramatically.

I did a hard reset (power + vol down), re-enabled all my background tasks and set 3 of my email accounts back to sync. Drained the batter to 0, and charged it up over night with OEM charger. Had really good battery life since. @67% at 11PM, I took it off the charger around 7:30AM.

And yeah, I know that Glance/LTE/Sync/Etc use more battery but should not drastically affect the battery, at least not to the extent that people are seeing. Although, I don't know if the LCD screen on the 1020 is the best one to have with glance, vs the OMLED ones on the other phones that support it.

After doing more searching, a hard reset (power + vol down) seems to really help, and this tends to be something people run into with new phones. I wonder if there is a bug with WP devices that have internal batteries(or any such device as iphones and many androids have weird battery problems on initial releases as well). Having them in and connected for long periods of time might be causing issues, and performing the hard reset (simulating a battery pull) resets the connections.

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
After doing more searching, a hard reset (power + vol down) seems to really help, and this tends to be something people run into with new phones. I wonder if there is a bug with WP devices that have internal batteries(or any such device as iphones and many androids have weird battery problems on initial releases as well). Having them in and connected for long periods of time might be causing issues, and performing the hard reset (simulating a battery pull) resets the connections.
I would like to add at this point that holding the power and volume down button (or pulling the battery) is a soft reset. A hard reset is basically a factory reset, where you lose all your data on the phone. You need to enter some key combination that would take far too long for me to describe (or you could just go to settings>about>reset you phone). It takes about ten to fifteen minutes to perform, just remember to back up everything you need before you do it, because it's not coming back.

anon(8125585)

Oct 10, 2013
Visit site
For the last 8 days my Lumia 1020 had been working fine with on average 1.5 days of battery life.

However, today I noticed higher than average battery drain again. On getting home from work I only had ~14% remaining. I turned the phone off then on again and it shot up instantly to 79% remaining???????????????????????????????????????????

marratj

Nov 10, 2012
Visit site
For the last 8 days my Lumia 1020 had been working fine with on average 1.5 days of battery life.

However, today I noticed higher than average battery drain again. On getting home from work I only had ~14% remaining. I turned the phone off then on again and it shot up instantly to 79% remaining???????????????????????????????????????????

That's a problem that a lot of people have, including me... the battery indiicator is just so unreliable, after a reboot it jumps up often quite a lot and then goes down as supposed. What I'm thinking now is that a lot of people might not even have really a huge battery drain, but the readouts are just plain incorrect leading the people to believe they have a high drain.

rsba1

Oct 28, 2013
Visit site
O.K. so I have figured out for me what works to preserve battery life. The best thing to do is shut wi-fi off. Now I realize that this pretty much makes my smart phone a dumb phone, but while I'm at home I do not need it on or have my data on. I have my computer and other devices for roaming the web. I do not send or receive text, which I can do on my iPad with messages. I basically use my phone as a phone and camera. This works for my situation which other people might also be in. You will be surprised how long your battery will last.

KnightOfAnfala

Aug 28, 2013
Visit site
For the past couple of days I have been experimenting with using my 1020 without cellular data and so far I have managed to get around 20 hours out of a single charge. I still used wireless, browsed on it for about 1-2 hours, had a group conversation going on viber, played games for about 2 hours, watched about an hour's worth of video, streamed a couple of clips on you tube, worked on a couple of spreadsheets for a total of around 45minutes, and listed to music to and from work (about 1 hour).

With LTE on and with about the same usage I probably wouldn't have lasted 14 hours...

Commander Fresh

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
O.K. so I have figured out for me what works to preserve battery life. The best thing to do is shut wi-fi off. Now I realize that this pretty much makes my smart phone a dumb phone, but while I'm at home I do not need it on or have my data on. I have my computer and other devices for roaming the web. I do not send or receive text, which I can do on my iPad with messages. I basically use my phone as a phone and camera. This works for my situation which other people might also be in. You will be surprised how long your battery will last.
I think what most people here are experiencing are some sort of defect with the battery, since simply leaving wifi on shouldn't drain your entire battery on standby in one day.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys my lumia 1020 is 3 weeks old now. iam getting very good battery life. i get average 1 day and best i got so far is 2 days 4 hours. i have 5 background tasks active. glance screen active. double tap to wake screen active. and connected to internet 24x7.when my phone was new i mean 2 days old i use to get 12 hours usage. i think any new phone battery needs few cycles.

I_am_JK

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
So ive come to the decision to drop it off at a care point and see if it can get fixed. On the phone atm and will attach a screenshot of how terrible the battery is.

i mean i cant have EVERYTHING off defeating the whole purpose of having a phone with all these features. Its also a big thing if we're reading abt users who have wifi, glance, email syncing in the background and actually lasting up to a day!

so shall give you all an update on whether its worth doing. Also considering itll be within the warranty (2 yrs) its definitely worth a go.

JK

I_am_JK

Nov 12, 2013
Visit site
wp_ss_20131112_0001.png
wp_ss_20131113_0001.png

So here's how terrible my one is. Again I reiterate I did use the phone with the only thing on being data connection. Wifi, bluetooth, glance, tap to send, brightness, email sync are either set to off or low. just thought i'd show how bad it actually is!

Harshv61

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
Do this Battery app mostly used my everyone, consumes battery ? Or it just shows the statistics with negligible battery usage ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss