Phone Melted While Charging

david90531

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
Not really off topic but kinda.. Does anyone know where to buy a replacement stock USB cable? I've lost mine along with the adapter charger :(

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
I'm a electrical engineer and have seen it before. Search for a tear down of a 920 and look where the micro USB connector is. There are no active components to go bad and flame out.
Not saying 100% that's what happened, but it sure looks that way.

And, I never watch CSI :)

I thought about this some. I have to agree this is a distinct possiblity, the micro USB connector might be more prone to this, though you'd have to really give it a shove.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Any updates on what best buy did. Sorry if it was posted already. I only saw you were planning to go to BB

Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Tapatalk

uselessrobot

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
There's no way in hell that's a Nokia cable. Nokia's cable is squared off. Only Chinese made crap feature the flexible ridges at the base of the plug. I also don't think it was plugged in backwards, you'd have to be forcing very hard and break stuff in the process. I guess it's not impossible, people are capable of anything, but it's highly unlikely.

There's nothing on that end of the phone that would overheat on it's own. Typically, the two things that warm up during charging are the battery and the plug at the wall. If the battery overheats you normally get an explosive reaction and it wouldn't happen at the USB port.

What this looks like is a bad contact in the plug which results in a short. This is not much different than a short in an outlet, which causes similar excessive heat and melting of plastics, when you don't get a fire outright. This reinforces my suspicion that it's a crappy Chinese plug.

Nokia is within its right to refuse a repair or replacement if non-standard cables were used. Whoever sold you the bad cable, however, should be held responsible. I'd go to them first, then try Nokia. Sometimes you'll find someone in customer service nice enough to ignore the warranty violation.

hs k

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say it, but from looking at the picture it looks like the USB charger was jammed in backwards and it caused a short.
I bet Best Buy thinks the same thing and is going to say it was user error that caused the damage.

But how does that even happen? The male end does fit into the female end that way! :s

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Imo go to best buy as its a manufacturer fault, the worst case they may ask you to visit nokia care.
You can take up the complaint at BBB for sure if bestbuy shrugs their shoulders.

Alternatively you can follow and tweet Nokia account am 100% sure they'll get back to you and offer a solution :).

Whatever you do, it wasn't your fault so don't accept lame excuses from Bestbuy people.

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
True... both my USB cable and the 3-pin plug, that came out of the box... is white

It wasn't the colour but the physical appearance of the cable. It doesn't look like a stock USB cable from Nokia. However, saying that, it might be different in different countries, though why that would be I'm not 100% sure. Also not sure about that tag on the cable, but again may be a requirement of the US.

Vikram Dinesh

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I did some digging using the text visible in the tag on the cable. It seems like CDM8992 and ADR8995 (Disclaimer: The 5 is not visible in the picture.) are both Pantech phone models. Looks like the charger or at least the cable belong to a Pantech device. So I would join the others in saying that the cable is not a genuine Nokia cable. Don't know about the charger though.

Last edited:

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
USB 2.0 to micro type B- a generic is no big deal. 99% are made in China sold in the USA are USA spec.
He bought the phone at BestBuy a USA company he's in the USA.
I have 3 different USB to micro B cables that I use with my Lumia 810
one connected to my pc, one with the original wall charger and one for the 12V car charger,
I've used them interchangeably with no issues.
When I first got mine I misplaced the OE USB cable and couldn't charge it, I called NOKIA and they said I
could use generic one if I wanted to, they just said use a quality one, whatever that means, they didn't give me specs other than USB 2.0 to micro B.
It doesn't matter it would be like using a GE extension cord vs an Ace Hardware extension cord to connect
your TV to the wall socket.
As z33dev33l says, the cable is the same everywhere & don't use an aftermarket charger,
it looks like he didn't from the photo as all we can see is the cable.
. The USB cable is the same everywhere. Don't use aftermarket chargers.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99