Phone Melted While Charging

adeath

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
The picture is pretty self explanatory. This is my son's phone. Anyone else had this problem? He got it at Best Buy. I assume they'll warranty it? IMAG0089[1].jpg

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Looks nasty. The only time I've seem things like that happen is when fake chargers are used. If you've bought this from Best Buy, I'd hope they're using genuine parts.

Take it back, complain, get another one. Make sure you see the factory sealed box before you accept it.

adeath

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
It was the factory charger that came with it. I already told him to take it back and complain. I would think they won't hassle him about it.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I would have to think faulty charger. I've seen phones where the lithium-ion batteries have went bad and melted the whole back and a few that caused a fire.

How long has he had the phone? Let us know what Best Buy says

gsquared

Jun 26, 2011
Visit site
I'm sure every phone manufacturer has seen this before. Seems the mini-USB ports in general are a problem point. I had to replace my old Sammy Focus due to a bad USB port.

adeath

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
He got it about 2 months ago. He's going to take it back after school this afternoon. I'll let you know what they say. And it happened overnight, so no, didn't smell anything.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
He got it about 2 months ago. He's going to take it back after school this afternoon. I'll let you know what they say. And it happened overnight, so no, didn't smell anything.

They may tell him to send it to Nokia, but Nokia will take care of it right away.

FinancialP

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
BestBuy has terrible prices but I must say, they are great when it comes to replace items. Absolutely no hassle, they will exchange it.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy prices are competitive with everything but accessories. When was the purchase day and did you buy Geek Squad Protection for it?

stephen_az

Banned
Aug 2, 2012
Visit site
They better damn refund or provide a new replacement . This is unacceptable.

Why are you getting preemptively obnoxious when your son has not yet even stopped at the store? At least from my perspective, I also feel it necessary to point out unless you added a Best Buy replacement plan at the time of purchase, they are under no obligation to replace and should not be. It is a manufacturing defect that can happen with any lithium powered device. It has a warranty though the carrier and manufacturer. If there is not an add on plan in place with the retailer, why expect them to replace for you? If they do that is nice but where does the "better damn refund...." come into the picture. If a laptop or stereo or toaster etc., fails outside of an in store return period but within warranty do you expect the retailer to always just smile and hand you a new item or will you be directed to the manufacturer warranty to address? I am sorry you have a defective phone but that does happen. Provided it was not the result of user damage, Best Buy might replace depending upon plan or store discretion, or the manufacturer or carrier will replace as per their warranty. I just don't see why, however, people expect a retailer to fulfill the terms of a manufacturer's warranty just because they bought a defective products months before. That warranty exists for a reason....

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
Why are you getting preemptively obnoxious when your son has not yet even stopped at the store? At least from my perspective, I also feel it necessary to point out unless you added a Best Buy replacement plan at the time of purchase, they are under no obligation to replace and should not be. It is a manufacturing defect that can happen with any lithium powered device. It has a warranty though the carrier and manufacturer. If there is not an add on plan in place with the retailer, why expect them to replace for you? If they do that is nice but where does the "better damn refund...." come into the picture. If a laptop or stereo or toaster etc., fails outside of an in store return period but within warranty do you expect the retailer to always just smile and hand you a new item or will you be directed to the manufacturer warranty to address? I am sorry you have a defective phone but that does happen. Provided it was not the result of user damage, Best Buy might replace depending upon plan or store discretion, or the manufacturer or carrier will replace as per their warranty. I just don't see why, however, people expect a retailer to fulfill the terms of a manufacturer's warranty just because they bought a defective products months before. That warranty exists for a reason....

I agree with you. But the person who posted that was not the OP.

adeath

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site

FYI, I'm the OP, and I'm not upset or obnoxious, and do not expect Best Buy to do anything outside of their obligation. I agree that it's a manufacturing defect, and the manufacturer should cover it under their warranty. It's 2 months old, so it's certainly within the 12 month warranty period. I was merely posting to see what the general consensus was regarding the problem.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12