Phone Melted While Charging

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
They will replace it a with refurbished, a new replacement is within 14 days at OhWhydidIbuyfrom BestBuy
- 30 in California but they will fight you on that in CA but state law says 30 days.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Hate to say it, but from looking at the picture it looks like the USB charger was jammed in backwards and it caused a short.
I bet Best Buy thinks the same thing and is going to say it was user error that caused the damage.

PB_H

Banned
Jun 11, 2013
Visit site
Hate to say it, but from looking at the picture it looks like the USB charger was jammed in backwards and it caused a short.
I bet Best Buy thinks the same thing and is going to say it was user error that caused the damage.

Backwards ? you mean the normal size USB in the mini slot ? No can do, and you can't jam the curved mini in upside down without a lot of bending and pushing to make the female receptacle big enough to insert the male end and if you could I don't think they have a +/- polarity at the pins.

Last edited:

MikesChevelle

Jul 9, 2013
Visit site

I think someone has been watching WAAAYYY to much CSI Miami. All I see is a shot gun blast to the face worth of melted plastic carnage, how can you even see anything resembling a charge port or male end of usb????

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
That is horrendous! My 920 tends to get hotter when it's being charged wirelessly, but it's never been THAT hot that it would actually melt.

Angry Pixel

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Maybe the charging port was wet? You know kids, they keep phones in the pocket and run around a lot in sun. Sweat must have gone into it and he must have innocently plugged the charger in. Perfect conditions for a short.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
Backwards ? you mean the normal size USB in the mini slot ? No can do, and you can't jam the curved mini in upside down without a lot of bending and pushing to make the female receptacle big enough to insert the male end and if you could I don't think they have a +/- polarity at the pins.

No, I mean the micro USB connector turned 180 degrees and jammed into the phone. Its easier to do than you think.

The connector isn't mirrored, so plugging it in backwards will put 5V on phone ground and 0V on phone +5V:
Google Image Result for http://image.pinout.net/pinout_USB_files/micro_usb_pinout.jpg

I've also seen phones that have had a micro USB plugged in backwards before and the damage looks a lot like the OP's picture.

Look at the tear down of a 920. There are no active components around the micro USB connector:
PennEngineering: Teardown ReportsNokia_Lumia_webready.pdf

Not saying 100% that's what happened, but to me it sure looks that way. I hope Best Buy replaces it for him regardless...

wamsille

Banned
Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Maybe the charging port was wet? You know kids, they keep phones in the pocket and run around a lot in sun. Sweat must have gone into it and he must have innocently plugged the charger in. Perfect conditions for a short.

So this one time I was looking for a used phone on Craigslist and stumbled upon a Palm Centro (Verizon) that I couldn't say no to. First off, this was a while back and say what you will about Palm OS but I loved the phone. Had one of the best NES emulators and keypad layout for playing games. I digress.

So I meet up with the guy and I'm a tad shocked. The phone isn't in nearly as good of condition as the pictures suggested, and his claims otherwise were soon thwarted when I popped the back off and saw the moisture indicator was set off.

Oh, well that's because I use the phone while I'm in the shower.

I handed the phone back and left the area quickly. The guy had the nerve to email me / text me later trying to get me to reconsider. Not even for $10 would I touch that phone again. Poor, poor Palm Centro.

typhon62_1

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
I think someone has been watching WAAAYYY to much CSI Miami. All I see is a shot gun blast to the face worth of melted plastic carnage, how can you even see anything resembling a charge port or male end of usb????

I'm a electrical engineer and have seen it before. Search for a tear down of a 920 and look where the micro USB connector is. There are no active components to go bad and flame out.
Not saying 100% that's what happened, but it sure looks that way.

And, I never watch CSI :)

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I mostly use my HTC and Nokia chargers for my 920, but at home I use my Wireless charging. I love it and I want to get something for my car (maybe a wireless pillow or something like that :)

RJ Priest

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
That doesn't look like a stock 920 USB cable

yeahthat.gif

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss