What audio format is best?

homieson89

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
Going to put songs on my Lumia 920. What format should the audio be that wouldnt use up alot of memory space?
Dragging itunes converted songs to the phone doest work. They're in m4a.
THanks

Rolly Carlos1

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
the best compression for audio is AAC

NeroAAC or Apple AAC are the best encoders right now

AAC-LC is good because it consumes little power.

Xrecode II is the best paid audio transcoder ive found and it uses all my 8cores (i7 with HT) while converting audio format.

i recommend you use 256kbit for encoding as it generally perseveres the audio quality and is good for average earbuds/headphones. If you really want to save space and you just use generic earbuds/headphones, I suggest you encode on 128kbit.

MP3 format is really ancient and should only be used if you plan to transfer your audio files on older devices and the quality suffers when you transcode less than 96kbit (64kbit AAC-LC have the same quality as 128kbit MP3 at half the size).

i also heard good things about AAC-FDK being extremely good at less than 96kbit compared to other AAC encoders but I havent confirmed it myself.

FLAC format is the best audio format if you are ripping from audio cd, but it is lossless meaning its file size(3x-4x bigger compared to AAC-LC 256kbit)

Kevin Rush

Aug 11, 2010
Visit site
the best compression for audio is AAC

NeroAAC or Apple AAC are the best encoders right now

AAC-LC is good because it consumes little power.

Xrecode II is the best paid audio transcoder ive found and it uses all my 8cores (i7 with HT) while converting audio format.

i recommend you use 256kbit for encoding as it generally perseveres the audio quality and is good for average earbuds/headphones. If you really want to save space and you just use generic earbuds/headphones, I suggest you encode on 128kbit.

MP3 format is really ancient and should only be used if you plan to transfer your audio files on older devices and the quality suffers when you transcode less than 96kbit (64kbit AAC-LC have the same quality as 128kbit MP3 at half the size).

i also heard good things about AAC-FDK being extremely good at less than 96kbit compared to other AAC encoders but I havent confirmed it myself.

FLAC format is the best audio format if you are ripping from audio cd, but it is lossless meaning its file size(3x-4x bigger compared to AAC-LC 256kbit)

Are you saying all these play on Windows Phone?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
When in doubt I just go .wma Idk how that sites u against the rest though, I just felt like it's the most universal (wma and wmv alike)

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
So far, the best results I've gotten from iTunes have been AAC 44,100 at 256k with the VBR (variable bit rate) option turned on. Then I use the Windows Phone Mac OS app to sync them to my 920. mp3 don't work consistently for me. I often get weird chirps and crackles on the 920 when I play mp3 files.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jhonkalas