Impression after 3 months of usage

mjke

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
saw some cool reviews and some dashing colors, did my part of research and went straight to a nokia priority and bought myself a lumia 720. I would say, the phone didn't disappoint me for the first week, it was love at first sight :) the first game i installed on my phone was temple run. it was finely tweaked to run on 512 mb RAM. i downloaded many apps directly on my phone via wifi or 3g connection, then one day i decided to download asphalt on my laptop and then transfer it off to my sd card to install. as you may say, i encountered the first bug on my phone, after many Google searches and membership on this community i came across my fellow windows phone users who encountered the same problem and explained me how i can solve this by restarting my phone and waiting for the apps to appear in store. hopefully this worked but it was too inconvenient to restart a phone each time when i manually download some app and transfer it to my phone. i got over this problem thinking about the "good" gdr2 update has promised.

In the mean time i installed many crappy apps, but in the end, it was here maps, one note, whatsapp and office that i made the most out of. But in the back of my mind, there was a void which was created by poor notifications, poor call records (we need MS to make a dialer like RAP dialer) and an OS that felt like "BETA" . even asha 501 impresses when it comes to notifications and call records.

720 is my first smartphone, i have never synced any of my emails on a phone, so when i was able to sync my gmail calendar as well as emails from my newly created outlook account, i was more than excited, this was something known but "new" to me :)

Post GDR2

it took me 15 minutes to get my phone an amber update, the phone as promised didn't switched off and restarted often :) it was quick and easy. then my phone behaved like a brash child, refused to shut down and restarted ( solution :- I have to first turn off my wifi) , a thin line horizontally on screen when i see whatsapp messages. My phone lasted 1/2 day with a full recharge (not thinking logically here, just telling you what i am experiencing ), some of my favorite stock wallpapers were replaced :-( but thanks for giving us glance screen to see when the time is ripe and an FM radio which was a pain in the brain to find as it was hidden in music+videos.

but again a small hope for people like me for whom investing in a smartphone is a 2-3 years affair (as i can't afford to ditch a phone after using it for a month or two) is GDR3.

Hope microsoft you are doing some good stuff after acquiring our LOVABLE nokia, please don't disappoint us .

Usman Mubashir

Aug 16, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has the record of launching things which are just a step from perfection. I see greatest potential in Windows Phone today, the Windows Phone of tomorrow will be unmatched. But slow progress on behalf of Microsoft may give Apple and Google enough time to reach the same point of perfection in their smartphone experience.

mjke

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
Microsoft has the record of launching things which are just a step from perfection. I see greatest potential in Windows Phone today, the Windows Phone of tomorrow will be unmatched. But slow progress on behalf of Microsoft may give Apple and Google enough time to reach the same point of perfection in their smartphone experience.

are you quoting xbox my friend ? hope MS does the same with WP's and bring quick updates

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
For its price the Lumia 720 is the best phone. I purchased mine as soon as it hit the shelves and had ups and downs with my phone. But I'd like to point some key factors that makes this phone one of the best phone for its price in its class.

1) One of the slickest and coolest phones around. Superb to hold and well shaped and is not too big.
2) A great camera. With f 1/1.9 its camera performance was compared with the ones like iphone 5. Enough said.
3) An optimised OS. Yes it needs polishing but the fact that this phone runs WP8 on the given hardware with ease and will also support WP 8.1 means its future proof.
4) 8GB of internal memory. When was the last time we saw a phone in the similar price bracket having more than 4gigs of internal memory. And the Lumia 720 is expandable to 64 GB which is more than one will ever need.

People may say there are less apps. Agreed that compared to the number of apps available in the other platform windows falls shy. But all the major apps that people use everyday are available. The number of apps are also increasing by the day.

I've seen a lot of people complain that there are so many paid apps. But same was the case with apple and android. Once the devs reach a reasonable revenue, it will be feasible for them to come up with more and free apps. This is how a platform matures.

One shortcoming that one may say about the phone is the measly 512 MB RAM. Even I feel the pinch when I cant play a few titles which require 1 GB RAM. But if the 720 was equipped with 1 GB RAM, it would defeat the sales of the 820.

All in all I'm very happy with the Lumia 720. It needs polishing, agreed. But without a shadow of doubt, its the best phone for its price

mjke

Sep 20, 2013
Visit site
For its price the Lumia 720 is the best phone. I purchased mine as soon as it hit the shelves and had ups and downs with my phone. But I'd like to point some key factors that makes this phone one of the best phone for its price in its class.

1) One of the slickest and coolest phones around. Superb to hold and well shaped and is not too big.
2) A great camera. With f 1/1.9 its camera performance was compared with the ones like iphone 5. Enough said.
3) An optimised OS. Yes it needs polishing but the fact that this phone runs WP8 on the given hardware with ease and will also support WP 8.1 means its future proof.
4) 8GB of internal memory. When was the last time we saw a phone in the similar price bracket having more than 4gigs of internal memory. And the Lumia 720 is expandable to 64 GB which is more than one will ever need.

People may say there are less apps. Agreed that compared to the number of apps available in the other platform windows falls shy. But all the major apps that people use everyday are available. The number of apps are also increasing by the day.

I've seen a lot of people complain that there are so many paid apps. But same was the case with apple and android. Once the devs reach a reasonable revenue, it will be feasible for them to come up with more and free apps. This is how a platform matures.

One shortcoming that one may say about the phone is the measly 512 MB RAM. Even I feel the pinch when I cant play a few titles which require 1 GB RAM. But if the 720 was equipped with 1 GB RAM, it would defeat the sales of the 820.

All in all I'm very happy with the Lumia 720. It needs polishing, agreed. But without a shadow of doubt, its the best phone for its price

you are not getting my point friend, please re read (especially the last line)

alien_ipis

Oct 2, 2013
Visit site
There's no denying that lumia 720 is a beautiful phone. I fell in love with it but got burned due to its limitations...lesson learned. I hope wp would catch up with android but i doubt it. Theres just too many limitations. I respect your opinion but its all about personal preferences, next time i buy a new phone i'll do a research first... Thats my mistake

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786