Buying a used Nokia 928, what do I need to know?

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
So I lost my Lumia 928 last weekend when it fell out my motorcycle jacket pocket on the interstate, pretty sure even a Nokia can't survive 10,000 car tires running over it. :asleep: I've gone back to my old HTC Trophy for now but I would obviously like to get a WP8 phone again soon. I had just purchased the 928 when it came out and used my upgrade through Verizon for it, renewing my 2 year contract.

What do I need to know/do if I were to get a used Nokia phone to replace it? I'm thinking about just going through Craigslist and getting another 928 or maybe a 822. I've never bought a phone off contract and I'd like to be prepared before going out looking for a used phone.

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
Let me answer this thread with my signature style, a little humor.

"Prepare yourself, rough ride is coming"

A used phone could mean,

-Blacklisted IMEI's (Stolen/Lost Property)
-Battery with loose motions
-Cracks/scratches (I hate them)
-Some weird problem, A guy had posted a video showing how his 928 was running on its own, keyboard was typing on its own as if a ghost was doing it
-Warranty issues?, will the carrier/manufacturer honour it if you are the second owner

Consider those things.

You may want to shell a few additional bucks and buy it on swappa.com
Here, they are going for $225-300
Buy Nokia Lumia 928 (Verizon) in US > Swappa

Low chances of getting whipped :).

I wish you good luck with the purchase ;)

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
What you need to make sure of is that when you go to look at it, call Verizon right then before handing over cash, to make sure its NOT on their lost/stolen list, otherwise you may be SOL. I used to be a CSR for Sprint and had to tell the bad news to a LOT of people (CDMA carriers have the device linked by its own ID, where GSM, AT&T, TMo are via SIM) that they were screwed..

Keep them on the line and have them activate it on your account right then when you pay the guy/gal. My 2?.. Best of luck!!

Jeffrey Fox

Jun 5, 2013
Visit site
"Prepare yourself, rough ride is coming"
Yea, I'm not looking forward to this experience...

You may want to shell a few additional bucks and buy it on swappa.com
Here, they are going for $225-300
Buy Nokia Lumia 928 (Verizon) in US > Swappa

Low chances of getting whipped :).

That's absolutely the price range I was hoping for, I think I'll poke around that site. These sellers are checked out in some fashion? No stolen goods on this website? Or do I still need to practice caution?

montsa007

Ambassador
Apr 10, 2013
Visit site

That's absolutely the price range I was hoping for, I think I'll poke around that site. These sellers are checked out in some fashion? No stolen goods on this website? Or do I still need to practice caution?

You need to practice caution everywhere my friend, however the level of caution you need to have is low on swappa.

nunyazz

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

To sell on swappa you are required to submit the IMEI number for them to verify that it is good to go. Now saying that, I am sure there are some that would give a fake number, but in my dealings with swappa, they have all been good.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Generally yes... IMEI, ESN & MEID are specific to each handset. Should be able to verify with either, however, the proof is in the pudding... ;)

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
I recommend our very own Marketplace. While I'm sure you need to exercise some caution within our own website, I would hope our Marketplace offers a safer atmosphere.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
OK, I hate to contradict myself, but here is a 928 in my hometown. Check this -> here If the link doesn't work, let me know. He's only asking $250 for it.

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
I've been buying phones on ebay for years. Check seller feedback, read descriptions carefully, and know that Paypal ALWAYS sides with the buyer.

russ8128

Jun 9, 2013
Visit site
I bought mine off of ebay a couple of months back (after doing the same with a 822). Had good luck in both instances. Was steadfast about IMEI, etc and really looked very carefully about condition of the phone via pictures and discussions with the sellers. Followed a number of them before making my purchase. I paid $300 and it came with two wireless chargers (one stand and one flat one), two cases (one cheapo TPU and one hybrid case) and a charger. Phone has been excellent since I got it. No issues at all. Sold the 822 for $70 more than I paid for it so that worked out good too...

Smyrna5

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
I'm very reluctant to buy used cellphones unless they are very heavily discounted, not only for the reasons already mentioned above, but because my phones tend to die after 3-4 years. Connections get corroded, contacts wear out, etc. Fortunately, the 928 has only been out for about 4-5 months, so as long as the model you get (and inspect)) isn't beat to hell, you will probably be ok.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
No insurance ? Trust me the insurance is worth it on these devices...You could of been paying the deductiable of $100 to get a new phone.

Yea, Swappa is as good as they are going to be, never a problem and good policies there so you should be safe. Ebay is a good shot but, ALWAYS look over feedback and watch your listing and read every bit of it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire