How?s the battery life?

darwichee

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Soon the phone is going to releases here in Sweden, and the phone has the same price as the Note 3, Z1, and the rest of the high-end phones, so my chooise is pretty much hard, because this will be my first windowsphone.

My questions is, how is the battery life, because i?ve heard when you use "the glance" function, the battery drain like crazy, and when you uses the camera, also the same.
What are you doing with your phones, and how much do you get?

Thanks guys,

Wiz

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
Nope... Battery life is excellent, even with glance and double-tap active

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk 4

RainbowSeven

Aug 30, 2013
Visit site
Disabled glance and double tap to wake to save some battery life, no chance to last more than 6-8 hours since morning; quite fast to charge with supplied charger so I don't complain

darwichee

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Disabled glance and double tap to wake to save some battery life, no chance to last more than 6-8 hours since morning; quite fast to charge with supplied charger so I don't complain

So 8 hours at most? Do you use your phone alot? Man the note 3 has a 5.7 screen, at it last for almost 2 days :/

mrmprince

Feb 3, 2012
Visit site
Just got my 1020 yesterday and got it full charged before i slept last night and when i woke up, it was down to 19% at about 9-10%/hr drainage.....is that normal? seems kinda fast..

lostlogik

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
If you use the phone a lot, the battery will go down fast. I have a "general" discharge rate of about 2% while the thing is sat in my pocket but as soon as I start playing with it, the rate goes up, somewhat unsurprisingly. Playing games, using the camera and web surfing etc, ie screen on and interactive, and I can kill the battery in a couple of hours. But for general use, I'm more than happy with the battery. It's better than my 820.

vilkku

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
I have made several cycles now but still have poor battery performance. Tried this last night: made hard reset, disabled backgound tasks, enabled flight mode but after 8 hours discharge was about 30% (from 100 to 70%) :( This is not normal I think.

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
These are the WP8 phones I have had

Lumia 822
HTC 8X
Lumia 920
Lumia 1020

I would say that the 1020 for sure has the best battery life and with normal usage, facebook, twitter, text, some games I can go all weekend on a charge. The key with all WP8 phones is getting all the settings right and knowing what to shut off.

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
As I had just posted in another thread, it's going to depend on your luck. I got a very sucky one.

Power saving was always on. Cellular data off. Added 2 contacts. Added profile photo ( from SkyDrive ) to those 2 contacts. One failed call. Added Google Calendar web page to a pin tile. Installed World Clock. That's it. All done indoors in my room where there's no sun light to push the screen brighter. Screen was nicely dim even in the dark, actually. Dropped from full charge to 85%. Not a good sign.

But people who have no problem use it any way they see fit and seem to last for days. So I think it boils down to luck.

darwichee

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
In Sweden the phone will cost about $900 at launch, so i don?t want to bet my money at "luck". I?ll will have to ask more user, but as for now, it seems to me that more people having poor battery life, than the one that have good battery life.

And yes, i know, the one who is happy with their phone, and have good battery, usually don?t post.

tgr42

Jul 31, 2012
Visit site
Sure, defective hardware happens, but I think more battery problems are a result of choices rather than luck. Unfortunately with Windows Phone there are many easy ways to drain the battery faster than necessary, and no tools to help you figure out what specifically is draining the battery. The way you set settings, run/close apps, allow/disallow apps to do things, and generally use the phone will determine your battery life. All it takes is one bad setting, app, or OS bug to ruin your battery life, and it's easy to get several of those at once.

I've been getting 3-4 days on a charge with light but real use. That's no accident or blind luck. I took the time to research, experiment, observe, understand, adapt, and make tradeoffs according to my situation. I could very easily get less than 1 day if I did things differently. If you don't have the patience for this sort of thing, you're not likely to get good results unless you hardly do anything with your phone or just happen to not trigger any of things that drain battery (unlikely but possible).

This problem is not entirely unique to Windows Phone, of course. There are plenty of things you can do on Android to kill your battery too. But at least there you have tools to help you find and fix problems and make informed tradeoffs. With Windows Phone you have to test something for hours or days, make a single change, test again, and repeat over and over. If you try to shortcut the process by changing multiple things at once, you'll never understand which change had which effect. Many people come to faulty conclusions based on such misunderstandings. I hope Microsoft will put more effort into reigning in battery consumption in the future, and that starts with giving users the information they need to make informed decisions.

nm7s9

Sep 11, 2013
Visit site
" I hope Microsoft will put more effort into reigning in battery consumption in the future, and that starts with giving users the information they need to make informed decisions."

Exactly, a really good start would be a proper task manager (with or without the kill option). This would at least show you if a process goes rogue and hammers the cpu with resultant huge battery drain and possible case heating. Then a reboot would solve the issue.The task manager will probably also show which background apps silently gnaw away at the battery, and how often. With a simple task manager, pretty much all these "battery" threads would disappear.

For the record my 1020 seems as good if not better than the 920 and I haven't had (yet) and unreasonable battery drains on the 1020.
I once had a situation on the 920 (and on an iPhone 5 also) where battery drain was so large that a charger almost couldn't keep up. A reboot (soft reset) fixed the issue.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
I consider the Lumia 1020 a battery champion. I leave Wi-fi, Bluetooth, NFC, LTE, Glance Screen, Double-Tap to Wake, push email, and many other features regarded as "battery suckers," and I still knock out 20 hours easy. And should I ever find myself running low, I always have an extra 2-4 hours in reserve thanks to the camera grip.

I've heard of a few people getting crappy battery life even with battery saver on. I think these are defective models, because I'm on my second Lumia 1020 (I shattered the first), and both thus far have been battery champions. All my iPhone friends are envious when I on 45% battery, with all these features on, still get better battery life than they do at 100% with very few features on. It's made me rather snobby about battery life, but hey, what can I say? That's what an awesome battery does to a man.

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Sure, defective hardware happens, but I think more battery problems are a result of choices rather than luck.

But I just got my 1020 few days ago, fresh, with minimal apps installed. And I also judged it by my use from a freshly fully charged. Uses so little I could keep track. And there's no way mine can last a day of normal use.

liin

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
And yes, i know, the one who is happy with their phone, and have good battery, usually don?t post.

Very true. Even though there are many reporting battery issues, me included, we are probably the rarity as there's no point questioning on units working fine.

Denny Prijadi

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
from my experience , wont a bad network (3G / 4G) affect the battery life significantly ? i use my phone in singapore (with its excellent 3G network) and i have vastly different battery life compared when i use 3G in my own country..

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
There's definitely something odd going on with a lot of 1020s. Some experience excellent battery life of 2-3 days, others get 6-10 hours (same usage pattern!). There doesn't seem to be anything in between.

I returned my 1020 because even after two weeks my 820's battery life was far superior (2 days vs. 8 hours). I'll wait with another purchase until the reasons for the battery drain on the 1020 become more clear or Nokia issues a statement (I wish). If you are in the US, I'd buy now because there seem to be far less problems with the US version as opposed to the European one.

Edit: Oops, sorry, you say you are in Sweden. So I'd wait a few months longer until purchase.
It's normally because it's one of the fest batches to arrive.
If I have any advice, it would be this:
Just wait for a while. This is what happened to the 920 as well.

WanderingTraveler

Dec 23, 2012
Visit site
from my experience , wont a bad network (3G / 4G) affect the battery life significantly ? i use my phone in singapore (with its excellent 3G network) and i have vastly different battery life compared when i use 3G in my own country..
In order of power-intensiveness:
2G<3G<3.5G/"4G"<LTE

As for the battery life,associated with each, there are a number of factors:
-Frequency Bands it supports
-Signal Strength
-Network Reliability

And, you're in India, and your phone should default to looking for a 3G signal, so there's your problem.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss