How?s the battery life?

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Another update here. After sending my phone for repair and not seeing any improvements, Nokia sent me a replacement phone. The replacement 1020 is perfect! All my settings and apps are the same as before: wifi, glance, double tap, 4g data, bluetooth and nfc are all on. Xbox games, location and music services are off. I have skype and whatsapp installed, plus a weather app in the background and one email account syncing every hour. The battery drain is less that 1% an hour when in standby (only drained 4% over night). The drain rises up to 4% an hour when the screen is on for a prolonged time and I use the device heavily. It's now 7 hours since my last charge, the battery is at 93% and showing 4 days and 9 hours remaining. With moderate use I can easily go 2 days on a single charge. This proves my suspicion that my first 1020 was defective and I suspect that many of the people complaining about poor battery life have defective units as well.

Can you report back after a couple of days? I have experienced very similar results, but after a couple days realized I was wrong. Also, can you go to Settings -> About -> More Info and posts the following:

OS version
Firmware version
Hardware version
Radio software version
Chip SOC version

Thanks!

quachhanthanh

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
Another update here. After sending my phone for repair and not seeing any improvements, Nokia sent me a replacement phone. The replacement 1020 is perfect! All my settings and apps are the same as before: wifi, glance, double tap, 4g data, bluetooth and nfc are all on. Xbox games, location and music services are off. I have skype and whatsapp installed, plus a weather app in the background and one email account syncing every hour. The battery drain is less that 1% an hour when in standby (only drained 4% over night). The drain rises up to 4% an hour when the screen is on for a prolonged time and I use the device heavily. It's now 7 hours since my last charge, the battery is at 93% and showing 4 days and 9 hours remaining. With moderate use I can easily go 2 days on a single charge. This proves my suspicion that my first 1020 was defective and I suspect that many of the people complaining about poor battery life have defective units as well.

It s very awsome. I really want one like u. My 1020 turn on wifi, gps, glance, x2 tab, 3g data, sync facebook, viber, mail. But i turn off bluetooth and nfc (rarely use them). When standby it drain appropriately 3-4% per hour. Is it normal?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

nehmek

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Hey there. I will definitely keep everyone updated. I'm not returning my old phone until I am certain that the new one works fine for at least a week.
Here's the info on my phone:

OS version: 8.0.10328.78
Firmware version: 3049.0000.1330.1001
Hardware version: 1.0.0.0
Radio software version: 3.2.04033.1
Chip SOC version: 8960

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Hey there. I will definitely keep everyone updated. I'm not returning my old phone until I am certain that the new one works fine for at least a week.
Here's the info on my phone:

OS version: 8.0.10328.78
Firmware version: 3049.0000.1330.1001
Hardware version: 1.0.0.0
Radio software version: 3.2.04033.1
Chip SOC version: 8960

Thanks!

You have a newer Firmware and Radio version than I do (AT&T USA), what country/carrier variant do you have? Also, you said you have the old one still? Would you be able to post the same numbers from that one and see if they match?

My Firmware is 3045.0000.1325.0001 and Radio is 3.2.04025.1. Considering one of the biggest issues I've noticed is bad battery on low signal, I would bet that you may have better battery due to updated radio software.

nehmek

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Interesting...I have the Canadian pentaband Rogers version. I'll check the numbers from my old 1020 once I'm home and will update you.

nehmek

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
So I checked my old phone and it has the exact same OS, firmware and radio versions as my replacement 1020. Also, Windows Phone is really terrible at predicting remaining battery life ... the 4 + days remaining I noted earlier was way off. 15 hours after charging and with light use, my battery is at 70% with a day and 10 hours left. Not bad by any means, but I will keep an eye on the performance and post an update in a week.

thelostsoul

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
So I checked my old phone and it has the exact same OS, firmware and radio versions as my replacement 1020. Also, Windows Phone is really terrible at predicting remaining battery life ... the 4 + days remaining I noted earlier was way off. 15 hours after charging and with light use, my battery is at 70% with a day and 10 hours left. Not bad by any means, but I will keep an eye on the performance and post an update in a week.

This sounds more like what I get, depending on usage. Hopefully the Black update fixes some of this at least, and if not, hopefully WP8.1 does. But definitely hoping for a sooner-rather-than-later release date!

nehmek

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
Can you report back after a couple of days? I have experienced very similar results, but after a couple days realized I was wrong ->

So its been a week and my replacement 1020 is still performing really well. I get just under 2 days of moderate use on a single charge.

My settings are as follows:
Data on (don't have LTE so 3/4G max), wifi on, bluetooth on, glance on, double tap to wake on. Location is on when needed, Xbox game and music services are off.
I have lots of apps installed (Whatsapp, Skype, Amazing Weather, TuneIn, AudioCloud, MetroTube...list goes on). Only Amazing Weather is allowed to run in the background. Even though Whatsapp is blocked I still get messages though. I also have one email account syncing every hour. Overnight, my phone drains 1-4 % (I sleep for 7 hours).

My typical daily usage involves an average of 4 calls (3-5 minutes each), 10 texts, 50 Whatsapp messages (includes some image/voice messages), 40 minutes of streaming music, 1 hour of locally stored music, 1-3 YouTube videos, 1-2 app downloads, 2 Skype calls, capturing 5 images with the camera, reading 30 emails, writing 3-5 emails, 30 minutes of web browsing, some bluetooth transfers with my laptop.

In the past week, I did not manage to drain my battery to 0 . The lowest it reached after a day of really heavy use was 25%. Usually, my phone is around 60% at the end of the day. I can say that I am very satisfied with the performance of my 1020, it has the best battery performance of any smartphone I've handled. I take care of the company phones at my work, and the HTC One, Samsung S3, BB Z10, BB Z30 and iPhone 5 do not last more than 10-14 hours with moderate use. I hope everyone else manages to find a solution to their battery problems, as the 1020 can really be enjoyable when its not switched off.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss