Will instagram ever be available on the lumia 1020?

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Ugh, I hate how tech blogs keep spreading the lie that Windows Phone doesn't have Instagram. We've got plenty of great third party apps (most popular seems to be 6tag, but plenty of other great ones, from what I hear [I don't use Instagram]), plus we know have official Instagram support via Oggl and Oggl Pro.

The Lumia 1020 is a great phone, I love mine with all my heart and my soul. Just searching "Instagram" in the marketplace yields tons of results, so Instagram apps aren't hard to find. I highly recommend the Lumia 1020, it's a great phone, you won't be disappointed.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
At this point someone just needs to call out most these devs on the fact that the only reason they don't want to make apps for WP8 is mostly BS politics. Just look at the tech press these days- so much biased reporting and anti-MS/WP hate from ****** bloggers and journalists (cnet, verge, engadget being some of the biggest offenders). Some are even outwardly hostile like Google (refusing to make official apps, blocking MS's youtube app, delaying release of ad mob sdk for WP8 devs for several months). Isn't it safe to assume that many Devs operate in the same way after 3 years on the market? MS has gone out of its way to make app development simple enough, even to the point where you can easily make an app available on Win8, WinRT, and WP8 with some minor adjustments (3rd party developers are able to create better looking/functioning apps than official versions as well). Multiple studies have shown that WP8 customers spend more on apps than more frugal Android customers as well. Plus WP has shown positive growth year over year. So the same excuses of market share, profitability, and difficulty to develop for are really flimsy when used over and over. Even Android gets put on the backburner as well, despite it having a massively larger market share than iOS.

I've only seen 1 dev provide a legitimate excuse for not having an app out, and that was snapchat under the reason they needed an API that would be in GDR3 in order to provide the same level of privacy as iOS and Android (preventing screenshots being taken). If one man (Rudy) can create an awesome 3rd party instagram and vine app, why is it so hard for all these other devs and companies- many that make 10's of millions to billions a year in profit- to assign even a few measly interns to write or port their apps to WP?

Just professional trolling and fanboys at this point from most these guys.

violentsharts

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Wow. I've only had my windows phone for a year but I see what your talking about. It's good that your saying these things out in the open to help people like me learn what's going on and hopefully open up eyes of other people as well. It'll only take time for people to realize what a quality product WP are.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
6tag is even better than official instagram on other platforms.
Instance and inpic are also the other options.
I think WP user doesn't need official app for instagram !

Unfortunately, for the general publics perception, it's not good enough. How often do we see reviewers slam WP8 as hard as they can over a lack of official vine or instagram, or some other official version app- even though we have 3rd party versions that meet or exceed an official version on a competing platform? Literrally every single review of a WP8 device goes as follows: "great build quality, awesome camera, quick and fast, but no instagram/vine/etc, blah blah, bigger app market (of fart apps) on android/iOS."

The average non techy consumer is always going to go with the official version first when looking for an app, and eventually branch out to a 3rd party app when the official version no longer meets their need or performs the way they want it to be. If they're shopping for a phone and ask if the phone has instagram, and are told "No, but it has an alternative.", they'll be more likely to go with a safe option like an iPhone or Android, rather than taking a plunge on WP. Having the official versions first regardless of quality, would go a long way to changing perception of WP8 and help growing its marketshare and making first time WP8 buyers feel more assured with their purchase, but with so many devs, bloggers, reviewers acting outwardly hostile despite its recent growth and advancement it's really holding back it's potential growth.

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
It is true that many tech sites write any thing when it comes. To windows phone. Remember not everyone has a windows phone , the ones who have are proud of it. We who are using this OS knw quite well that almost every app is available if not official but a replacement and a fitting one. 6tag as the others have said is fitting one. You wont miss instagram on Windows phone.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
It is true that many tech sites write any thing when it comes. To windows phone. Remember not everyone has a windows phone , the ones who have are proud of it. We who are using this OS knw quite well that almost every app is available if not official but a replacement and a fitting one. 6tag as the others have said is fitting one. You wont miss instagram on Windows phone.

Yeah, trust me I know their waaaay better than official versions on other platforms lol (I use 6sec daily). But I've known people unwilling to jump to the WP8 platform specifically because of the lack of an official app that they like (regardless of their being a better quality 3rd party alternative.) Some people just want to use what all their friends are using, some people want assurance the 3rd party version isn't just going to disappear one day, and others are just the paranoid type that don't feel comfortable with a 3rd party handling their data :p The fact is we know their are better versions, but the general public is not always willing to take that chance due to whatever reasons. Getting the official versions in the market place just removes one more trollish talking point reviewers can't use, and goes a long way to making potential first time buyers willing to take the plunge on WP8.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
People really need to start calling BS on the reviews of Windows phones

The Gadget Show | Nokia Lumia 1020 review by The Gadget Show

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/nokia_uk">@nokia_uk</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/TheGadgetShow">@TheGadgetShow</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/WindowsPhoneUK">@WindowsPhoneUK</a> No apps on WP8 is a poor bad point. WP8 has great 3rd party apps in Instance & 6tag for instagram.</p>— Martin McDonald (@martinmc78) <a href="https://twitter.com/martinmc78/statuses/387168938657734656">October 7, 2013</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The second comment is mine - and I think as WP users we all need to step up and start pointing out BS wherever we see it

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been holding off on getting the 1020 because I've read that it doesn't support instagram.

I realize I'm late to the party, here, but... what you've read is incorrect. Windows Phone 8 has more Instagram apps than does any other mobile platform. There is Hipstamatic Oggl which is it's own sharing network but can post to Instagram. If you want a full Instagram app, there's Pictastic and InPic and 2InstaWithMassiveLove and Metrogram/Instagraph and Instance and the cream of the crop, 6tag.

I'm sure I'm missing a bunch.

You do have to be careful with the third party apps, however, as some of them do not implement Instagram security properly which can flag your account as suspicious and cause all kinds of posting/hashtag issues. I know that 6tag properly implements Instagram security, so if you stay with 6tag you'll be golden. Plus Rudy (Hyun, the developer of 6tag) is constantly working on, and updating, 6tag.

So yeah.

SocalTouch

Mar 10, 2008
Visit site
Can we start a sticky on WPCentral which mentions all official apps still missing on Windows Phone, twitter accounts of companies making those apps and support forums where we can put requests for development of apps on Windows Phone. If 50% of all WPCentral visitors pound those companies on twitter publically, we will see most of those apps out in 3 months!

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Can we start a sticky on WPCentral which mentions all official apps still missing on Windows Phone, twitter accounts of companies making those apps and support forums where we can put requests for development of apps on Windows Phone. If 50% of all WPCentral visitors pound those companies on twitter publically, we will see most of those apps out in 3 months!

Windows Phone is the fastest growing mobile platform in the world, it only costs $20 to start developing for Windows Phone, and for a while, Microsoft was paying developers to make apps for Windows Phone. If that's not enough to convince them, I'm not sure what else will.

wapoz

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Windows Phone is the fastest growing mobile platform in the world, it only costs $20 to start developing for Windows Phone, and for a while, Microsoft was paying developers to make apps for Windows Phone. If that's not enough to convince them, I'm not sure what else will.

Putting an Apple logo on the back of the phone :wink: Seriously some of these devs act like whiney fanboys lol. I can't believe so many devs and companies would pass up an extra revenue stream and a chance to gain a foothold in a rapidly growing new market.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
Putting an Apple logo on the back of the phone :wink: Seriously some of these devs act like whiney fanboys lol. I can't believe so many devs and companies would pass up an extra revenue stream and a chance to gain a foothold in a rapidly growing new market.

Granted, some more elaborate apps may be harder to port, and therefore more expensive, but for the most part, developers should be climbing on the WP train. Hell, even very basic official apps for services like Instagram would be more than enough. Even if they weren't fully featured, we could say we have official Instagram support to draw in the masses, then when they're here, we can help them discover the awesome third party apps.

While I'm not a big fan of the concept, it seems that at least for the short term, quantity beats out quality. Then, once the higher number of apps gets market share, developers will spend more time on their apps, making them better and making Windows Phone stronger as a result.

MyNL822

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
First, i don't really like 3rd party apps. The creator of this app also mad 6sec which i used because i wanted to watch vine. This 3rd party app gave me the black screen of death everytime i left it running while the screen was asleep. It scared the crap out of me the first time, and i immediately opened the back and got the battery out. After a few times of this happening i figured out the app was doing this to my phone, and i stopped letting it run while the screen was sleep. The owner of this app eventually fixed this bug, but i don't trust third party apps much. It is always better to have the official version because third party isn't always reliable. Especially because another persistent bug is that even though the comment character max is 140 it says you cant exceed 140 characters and your comment isnt posted when im at 125 characters. I rather have the official vine.

iamtim

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Got news for you... when Vine first came out it crashed on my iPhone all the time. "Official" doesn't necessarily mean better, and often you'll get quicker response from a 3rd party developer.

Eduardo Galvan

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys, I've been holding off on getting the 1020 because I've read that it doesn't support instagram. I've heard it runs an alternative program called uggi or some weird name, but have no idea how that works.

Can someone who owns a 1020 explain to me how they use their instagram on it? Is it a seperate app all together? Can you follow people with normal instagram accounts? Or do they have to have the windows version of instagram?

Windows Phone 8 - at the time, you have to use unofficial apps. Sucks, as the Lumia 1020 would be a great device to use for taking pictures. You have to use 6tag. In fact, 6tag looks even better than the Android version of Instagram. I personally like the Metro look.

SwimSwim

Feb 1, 2013
Visit site
First, i don't really like 3rd party apps. The creator of this app also mad 6sec which i used because i wanted to watch vine. This 3rd party app gave me the black screen of death everytime i left it running while the screen was asleep. It scared the crap out of me the first time, and i immediately opened the back and got the battery out. After a few times of this happening i figured out the app was doing this to my phone, and i stopped letting it run while the screen was sleep. The owner of this app eventually fixed this bug, but i don't trust third party apps much. It is always better to have the official version because third party isn't always reliable. Especially because another persistent bug is that even though the comment character max is 140 it says you cant exceed 140 characters and your comment isnt posted when im at 125 characters. I rather have the official vine.

Doesn't mean that official apps don't have problems, issues, bugs, etc. You're going to find that in any piece of software, that's just a fact of life. And in my experience, lots of third party developers tend to listen more to complaints and feedback. They're serving a more flexible audience, therefore, they have to work to keep it. After all, as some else said, Twitter hasn't been updated since June, and it's an official app.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99