Shifting from 808 symbian to lumia 1020

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys after GDR3 Lumia1020 has become,awesome phone
i,still have my beloved nokia 808 as back up. Now,snaps,r not,too saturated as before. U can pin,all short cuts on,home screen like wifi,Bluetooth and soo on
battery life is awesome in Lumia 1020.windows has lot of quality apps tat Symbian never had
OS is very smooth and,fluid, no,hanging or freezing. Iam very happy switching frm Symbian to,windows. Iam sure windows 8.1 aka blue will win many,hearts and more ppl will make the switch. I must say windows has one of the best keyboard

Tansen

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Also don't forget the upcoming WP8.1 update, which allows notification shade just like android or iOS, along with quick settings too.

trinkner

Apr 9, 2013
Visit site
I'm very keen to move to a newer OS than Symbian, but I need an SD card slot, so the 1020 won't work for me. I'm hoping for a Nokia camera-centric phone like the 1020 but with 8.1 and an SD card. I am going to miss the true multitasking and automation of Symbian, though. I hope WP 8.1 can offer most of that functionality. I like the reading experience for Twitter and Reddit far more on WP than on Symbian, although I'm going to miss Gravity.

BTW, in my experimenting with WP on a 521, I've found Peregrine to be the best Twitter client in terms of using the app as a news reader (e.g., feeds from newspapers and magazines), and Readit to be the best Reddit client. Both load web text pages much faster than my 808, and both offer larger font sizes. I guess I'm getting old if font size is an issue for me. :) One drawback to WP currently is the browser which apps depend on for rendering some links. Mobile links from the Denver Post and Washington Post that I receive from Twitter currently don't render on the WP browser, but they do render in Opera Mobile on Symbian. I'm hoping that MS can fix that with 8.1.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Off Topic - Just an FYI for those that still have a Nokia 808. I put my wife's Nokia 808 up for auction on eBay about a month ago. I listed a buy it now price of $300, and it sold in 10 minutes. There's still a strong demand for the 808.

Yea.. the 808 will always be appreciated in the photo community and in general if you are geeky enough. It really was, and in some aspects still is ahead of it's time.

Guys after GDR3 Lumia1020 has become,awesome phone
i,still have my beloved nokia 808 as back up. Now,snaps,r not,too saturated as before. U can pin,all short cuts on,home screen like wifi,Bluetooth and soo on
battery life is awesome in Lumia 1020.windows has lot of quality apps tat Symbian never had
OS is very smooth and,fluid, no,hanging or freezing. Iam very happy switching frm Symbian to,windows. Iam sure windows 8.1 aka blue will win many,hearts and more ppl will make the switch. I must say windows has one of the best keyboard

Yes, the 1020 is much better today than it was on launch day in almost every way... which is very good but still not enough for me to replace my 808 with it. Its a personal preference, but I much rather wait and see what Microsoft has in store for the next photo flagship.. the 1020 doesn't have the same "giant leap" feel as the 808 had over the N8, so I am hoping for some sort of improvement in terms of imaging.. the 1020 is simply not enough.

although I'm going to miss Gravity.

Surprisingly powerful application this one.. I will miss it as well once I replace the 808.

And I am sure a lot of things will be fixed with 8.1 ... its a huge update.

Can you expand on your "contrast" comment? Are you saying the ClearBlack display works better on the 808?
I could not be happier how easy it is to see my screen when outdoors, I always thought all Nokia's performed the same way with that technology.

From here:

Nokia Lumia 1020 review: View from the top - GSMArena.com

qyBTpho.jpg

Now, how visible is that in practice.. its up for debate.

Uh, you sure about that? I find the 1020's screen far better than the 808 in every aspect. I have no idea what the spec sheet says, but there is no way the 808's screen is better.

I haven't had a chance to put the 1020 and the 808 side by side, but I've seen the iPhone5 and the 1020 under direct sunlight and the iPhone5 looked better.. and I know for a fact that the 808 and the iPhone 5 are at least on par in that regard.

But I dunno.. it might be too little to even matter.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
I haven't had a chance to put the 1020 and the 808 side by side, but I've seen the iPhone5 and the 1020 under direct sunlight and the iPhone5 looked better.. and I know for a fact that the 808 and the iPhone 5 are at least on par in that regard.

But I dunno.. it might be too little to even matter.

808 is a lot better under sunlight than iP5 and 5s, to an extent where you can easily read something on 808 when you can't read it at all on iP5, the same result would be if you compared 808 to 1020, however it doesn't bother a lot of people

Bahamen

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
808 is a lot better under sunlight than iP5 and 5s, to an extent where you can easily read something on 808 when you can't read it at all on iP5, the same result would be if you compared 808 to 1020, however it doesn't bother a lot of people

I don't have any problems viewing the 1020 under the sun either, but I try not to do that too much as it is a big drain on the battery.

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site

My iPhone 5 holds up nicely against the 808.. I would say that the 808 is a bit better, but he difference isn't that big.. maybe the one you saw had a different screen/different batch ?

O6oNFQo.jpg

C7v9xka.jpg

eZ9r2c7.jpg

Also don't forget that the 808 has an amoled screen, not LCD so its even harder to achieve good outdoor legibility... whatever Nokia did with those polarizers, they really did a good job. It might have something to do with the size... the tech might more effective on smaller screens, but I am just guessing.

The screen on the 808 is really good for photography in terms of visibility in various conditions, not so much in terms of color reproduction ... the colors are just not accurate, but you learn to adjust for it. The 1020 has a more color accurate display for sure.

Gary Anderson5

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
@vlado Your last sentence above was echoed from a photographer friend of mine after showing him some pics from my recent vacation. For such a low resolution screen photos do look great.

Having said that I have decided to upgrade to the 1020 and will be putting my 808 up for sale. Just feel it is time to move on and the 1020 opinions on this thread have been positive.

JustToClarify

Mar 11, 2013
Visit site
The screen on the 808 is really good for photography in terms of visibility in various conditions, not so much in terms of color reproduction ... the colors are just not accurate, but you learn to adjust for it. The 1020 has a more color accurate display for sure.

isn't 808 display full RGB AMOLED? In these pictures I'd say that 808 screen shows better colors than iP5S, also it's not the same when you compare it like this and when you look directly with your own eyes

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
@vlado Your last sentence above was echoed from a photographer friend of mine after showing him some pics from my recent vacation. For such a low resolution screen photos do look great.

Yea.. I feel like the only time I could really tell that its low res is when viewing text in the browser.. other than that its a solid display.

Having said that I have decided to upgrade to the 1020 and will be putting my 808 up for sale. Just feel it is time to move on and the 1020 opinions on this thread have been positive.

I think a lot of people have done exactly what you are doing, and it makes sense for most.. I am pretty sure I am a minority. The 1020 is a very good device and it will only get better with updates.

it's not the same when you compare it like this and when you look directly with your own eyes

True..

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys bad news...my 1020 screen cracked. .. :(... having mobile phone since 98 this is the 1st time i have cracked a phone screen...just bad luck it fell flat on its face...newaz thank god I have 808 to use till it comes from repairs....

sent from lumia 1020 or note 2

Attachments

• 1393271496387.jpg
    1393271496387.jpg
    65.9 KB · Views: 6
  • 1393271588967.jpg
    1393271588967.jpg
    58.2 KB · Views: 6

Gary Anderson5

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
What a bummer! I dropped my 808 many times without a cover and never broke the screen.
Did you have a cover on the phone when it dropped? What is nokia charging to replace the screen?

vlad0

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
That sucks... hopefully you can get it back soon!

I think that the larger the display the easier for it to crack like that. The 808 has a very sturdy build, but its also heavy.. so it has to deal with more on impact. I've dropped mine a few times where I was sure the screen would crack but.. no.. still looking good after almost 2 years without a case.

This is from the nastiest fall.. it broke trough the ceramic coating

and this is a design issue.. the camera housing is in fact painted metal which scratches really easily over time..

yzvaKl8.jpg

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
1020 is tough. ...just tat my luck was bad...it fell flat on the screen...I wasnt using any cover...I have given for repairs. ..luckily I havr insurance. ..cost is around 11k....coz they cant just replace the glass...the whole thing comes with touch screen and glass...iam ordering just the glass online and will fit it on old touch screen , just to have one more set on stand by.

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys my mpero case for lumia 1020....perfect protection....

Attachments

• 1394934516265.jpg
    1394934516265.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 6

jeetu4444

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
Guys my lumia 1020 is back from nokia ....got a new phone..very happy i have my lumia back..
Was using 808 pv....thou fone is amazing...but its frustrating. Sometimes.....Now iam using best of 2 worlds nokia lumia 1020 and Samsung note 3 dual sim...happy soo far in tech world...just waiting for windowsphone 8.1 :D

Sent from my RM-875_im_india_230 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)