Attachable Lenses?

Kaity Hartinger

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
So I have spent a few hours skimming the internet for some type of 1020 attachable lens. A macro lens would be ideal. I can find the 12X Telephoto Lens Set for the Nokia Lumia 920. I can also find the person on these forums who taped a macro lens to their 1020. I see so much talk about Nokia or some third party place coming out with a attachable lens or lens/case combo... whatever. I am assuming because I can't find it - it doesn't exists. I thought before I gave up all hope I would check here and see if anybody knew of anything... even those magnetic lenses, or something made for another device (like those sony attachable lenses) that would work on the 1020, I don't care much how it looks I am just looking for anyway to take the 1020s camera to the next level. However I don't want to resort to taping or anything like that I need to it to be somewhat legit and easy to take off or sturdy enough to stay on all day.

PS: another thing I can't find is a lens cover?! Do you guys know where to find any? I can find those cheap rubber or hard plastic cases that have them built in but I am looking for a more durable case with one, or just a separate lens cover.

Also this is my first post so sorry if I broke any forum edict here.

stephen9

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
Kaity, Not sure re the lenses, but I have just received my new Nillkin case which is part PU (front, with magnetic closure), and part moulded hard case (rear), which includes full camera profusion cover. Works well, and looks ok, making it look even a tad slimline in the process. At least it full protects this wonderful device....

Kaity Hartinger

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Well I might just have to get one and see!

I saw the Nillkin and thought it was pretty awesome. I am regretting not getting it now. I have it down to that and the Nerve (probably spelled that wrong). I decided with the Nerve because I was unsure of the construction of the Nillkin and I liked the more natural color of the leathers, and the direction it flipped over. However I might just have to buy both now lol!

Cornercurve

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
PS: another thing I can't find is a lens cover?! Do you guys know where to find any? I can find those cheap rubber or hard plastic cases that have them built in but I am looking for a more durable case with one, or just a separate lens cover.

Also this is my first post so sorry if I broke any forum edict here.

Here's a pretty nice case with full lens cover for the 1020...maybe this is what you're looking for?

http://www.windowscentral.com/first-glimpse-nokia-leather-case-lumia-1020

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
I used one that attaches magnetically to a little steel ring that stuck to my iPhone that I've not yet tested with the 1020 (looking for my little baggie of spare rings). I CAN say that the lens does NOT stick to the metal housing around the lens (must be aluminum, not steel). Will test it as soon as I find my rings; I hope they work, because Igot a LOT of use out of this little baby on my old phone:

Photojojo iPhone and Android Lens Series - The Photojojo Store!

NOTE: This is on the page, so I think it should work - the 1020 uses the same housing as the 920, yes? no?

Tested with: Nokia
Nokia N900
Lumia 822

Kaity Hartinger

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Cornercurve - that is my dream case. If it was available I would snatch it up... hell I want it so bad I would pay $200 for it. I can't find it for sale anywhere, all I can find is references to it possible existing sometime in the "near" future...

ImagoX - you are AMAZING. Something like that is just what I am looking for and after reading about it I don't see why it wouldn't work on the 1020. I have been looking for something like this for days. I am buying the four lens deal pack right now. Thanks so much!

frank ha

Aug 15, 2013
Visit site
Beware of using the magnetic type attachable macro lens. It will have some effect on the metal ball bearings for the OIS.
you can mod your camera grip to have filter ring attachment to use cpl, uv and nd filter.

Untitled by Robobit, on Flickr

Kaity Hartinger

Sep 29, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up about the ball bearings. I never thought of that. I am wondering if it can cause permanent damage to the ball bearings....

that's mod is awesome. I want to see if I can do something like that. Thanks for the pic!

ImagoX

Oct 8, 2013
Visit site
UPDATE: I've been using the Photojojo magnetic wide angle/macro lens I posted to above for several weeks now, and I can report the following:

• Wide angle lens works great and is very sharp - outdoor landscapes are particularly nice and autofocus/auto-exposure seems to work perfectly. When not zoomed, the lens does cause a tiny bit of vignetting at the very edges of the frame, but the effect is barely noticeable and provides a LOT more FOV (easy enough to crop out after shooting IMHO).
  • The magnetic attachment has NOT yet given me any issues with the lens cover or the zoom - everything seems to work flawlessly (so far anyway) with the lens magnetically attached to the steel ring stuck to the camera lens housing. Cover opens/closes, focus is fine, and zoom works without a hitch.
  • Macro works best with manual focus - it will auto-focus, but since macro only has a tiny depth-of-field, I recommend using manual focus setting at minimum range and then just moving the camera in until proper focus is achieved. You can get VERY close with the macro lens.
  • I have NOT tried using flash with a lens attached, but I suspect it would cast a shadow - will experiment. The ring does not interfere whatsoever with the flash (it's only a few millimeters tall at max).

Hope it helps someone. --Matt

Don164

Apr 9, 2015
Visit site
I have the same worry here myself, I'm more interested in telephoto lens as opposed to Macro although I'll take wherever I can.

I seen this 1 "universal" clip however the seller states it won't fit on the Lumia 1020 presumably because of the protruding lens but I seen a near identical clip on the Lumia 1020 and I'm baffled.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
About modding the camera grip: although this may seem convenient, note that if one will be attaching a lens that would fit the entire diameter of the hole of the camera grip, the axis of the lens attachment will not be aligned with the axis of the lens of the camera itself. This may lead to unwanted distortions and chromatic aberration. My suggestion would be getting one of those lenses that can be attached using a grip that holds onto the sides of the phone like a clamp of a monopod attachment - this way, the attachment lens can be aligned properly with the main camera lens.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos