Improving battery life after updating to Amber.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
After amber update a lot of people complained about poor battery life. There was indeed a drop in battery life for me as well. It used to last about 2 days which later came down to just over a day.

However, I fiddled with some settings and updated an app and it seemed to have improved quite a lot. With my same usage pattern as before I get nearly 10-11 hrs of extra battery backup.

Here's my settings:
Screen Timeout: 1 minute
Email fetch : hourly
WiFi: Always on. --> Advanced settings--> Untick "Notify me when new networks are found" and "Keep WiFi on when screen times out".
Bluetooth: On when required.
NFC: Off
Mobile Network: Always on
Battery Saver: Off
Backup: On
Brightness: Automatic
Display: Sun readability-> on; Battery Saver Brightness->on
Glance: Peek (Night mode 2300-0800 hrs)

Background tasks: Insider, Weather, Whatsapp.

Updated Insider and re-calibrated the battery. (Previous in-app data is deleted).

Let me know if it helps in improving battery life for anyone else.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
That's why I decided to share this with fellow "wpcentralites". Hope it helps. The WiFi setting alone increases battery back up by a good margin.

freshairr

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I thought keeping wifi constantly on drained more battery (at least that's what was stated via an anecdote)

And why do you have battery saver off?

Mio_WP

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
Saving battery by leaving WiFi on depends on usage patterns. When not always on, If You often pick up the phone and check a few things it would have to initiate WiFi each time and that could sum up to more power consumption than just leaving it on.

Plus if You have a bad mobile data connection but good WiFi connection it will use less power when updating background tasks over WiFi.

Leaving battery saving off theoretically should not improve battery life. However I also feel it performs better when off. Just remember to turn it on (set to auto) if you will be away from your chargers for an extended period.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Last edited:

freshairr

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Saving battery by leaving WiFi on depends on usage patterns. When not always on, If You often pick up the phone and check a few things it would have to initiate WiFi each time and that could sum up to more power consumption than just leaving it on.

Plus if You have a bad mobile data connection but good WiFi connection it will use less power when updating background tasks over WiFi.

Leaving battery saving off theoretically should improve battery life. However I also feel it performs better when off. Just remember to turn it on (set to auto) if you will be away from your chargers for an extended period.

Sent from my Lumia 920 using Tapatalk

Very interesting. I'll have to experiment with the 2 and see if it has any noticeable affect on battery.

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
I know even more battery life can be extracted by changing few settings from my current settings. But here's the thing, these settings suit my usage. Could turn off location, but don't like turning it on/off every now and then. So left it on.
Its not advised to keep battery saver on all the time. Maybe it stretches the battery life by a couple of hrs, its not good for the battery themselves.

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
...Maybe it stretches the battery life by a couple of hrs, its not good for the battery themselves.

What's not good for the battery? All the battery saver does is turn off things like data and background tasks. Why would this be bad for the battery?

connectandroid

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
tried turning off Glance ?

and how would battery saving mode damage the battery ?

from description all it does it stop background app auto syncing and switches to on-demand syncing only when app is launched

akshaypn

Oct 11, 2013
Visit site
battery on my l720 is taking forever to charge..insider showing just 22% charge rate per hour..what could be wrong..my wi fi is always on...glance on peek with background..got not more than 500mbs in phone storage left...is this normal or something is wrong...its just 2.5 months old..in the beginning the charge rate was 51% then it comes down to 47 then 44 and now its between 22 and 32...want to know one more thing nokia care people are able to change the battery or not once it died out..and what would be the approx. cost after the warranty period..

EpicIncognitO

Jul 1, 2013
Visit site
I had the same problems and believe me, A hard reset helped alot. First it showed 1 day 18 hours backup with 2 G on, after amber it came to 1 day 5 hours. After a hard reset and full calibration and a few full cycles, it easily went back to 1 day 18 hours.

Now Im okay with my Lumia 720.

engineblock

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
One thing I read on this forum helped as well. Let your L720 discharge to below 10%. Then charge to full using AC charger (not through laptop). Do this 2-3 times, you will observe improvement in battery timing

OzRob

Mar 20, 2013
Visit site
One thing I read on this forum helped as well. Let your L720 discharge to below 10%. Then charge to full using AC charger (not through laptop). Do this 2-3 times, you will observe improvement in battery timing

Another thing to do is STOP OBSESSING with the estimated time left and just USE your phone. The estimated time is just that - an ESTIMATE. The more normally you use your phone the more accurate the reading. Also, the fact that the phone says you only have and estimated 23 hours remain doesn't mean that that's how much time you have left. If you use your phone less, you'll get more time. If you use your phone more, you'll get less time. And the more often you fire up the screen to check how much 'estimated' time you have remaining, the less time you'll have remaining because you keep turning on your screen to check how much time is remaining. Jumping through hoops to change the 'estimated' time remaining doesn't do ANYTHING to make your phone ACTUALLY last longer.

I've had my phone tell me that it 'estimated' I had 1 day and 8 hours left after a full charge, but the phone actually lasted just over two full days. And the estimate kept changing as I used my phone. The number shown is a 'best guess'.

hombreee

Apr 5, 2013
Visit site
battery on my l720 is taking forever to charge..insider showing just 22% charge rate per hour..what could be wrong..my wi fi is always on...glance on peek with background..got not more than 500mbs in phone storage left...is this normal or something is wrong...its just 2.5 months old..in the beginning the charge rate was 51% then it comes down to 47 then 44 and now its between 22 and 32...want to know one more thing nokia care people are able to change the battery or not once it died out..and what would be the approx. cost after the warranty period..

Use your AC charger.

engineblock

Sep 21, 2013
Visit site
Another thing to do is STOP OBSESSING with the estimated time left and just USE your phone. The estimated time is just that - an ESTIMATE. The more normally you use your phone the more accurate the reading. Also, the fact that the phone says you only have and estimated 23 hours remain doesn't mean that that's how much time you have left. If you use your phone less, you'll get more time. If you use your phone more, you'll get less time. And the more often you fire up the screen to check how much 'estimated' time you have remaining, the less time you'll have remaining because you keep turning on your screen to check how much time is remaining. Jumping through hoops to change the 'estimated' time remaining doesn't do ANYTHING to make your phone ACTUALLY last longer.

I've had my phone tell me that it 'estimated' I had 1 day and 8 hours left after a full charge, but the phone actually lasted just over two full days. And the estimate kept changing as I used my phone. The number shown is a 'best guess'.

Apparently, the issue is not "Estimated Time Remaining". Sometimes drain rate goes ridiculously high, as high as -19%.

But one more thing, if I choose "Windows Phone Style Estimation Method", it never shows drain post 2.2% and when I switch to "Battery Sense Style", during heavy usage, drain rate is shown to be 10%+ and estimated life remaining 6 hours, which is untrue but this high drain ?

Gaurav Paul

Jul 4, 2013
Visit site
Apparently, the issue is not "Estimated Time Remaining". Sometimes drain rate goes ridiculously high, as high as -19%.

But one more thing, if I choose "Windows Phone Style Estimation Method", it never shows drain post 2.2% and when I switch to "Battery Sense Style", during heavy usage, drain rate is shown to be 10%+ and estimated life remaining 6 hours, which is untrue but this high drain ?

Battery usage will always vary. It uses lot of CPU+GPU processing while playing games. Whatsapp requires lot of Memory and also uses network. So you see battery drainage won't always be a constant.

thangpqfuhl

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
I just bougt a new lumia 720 and after the second charging , i was only be able to use it in 11 hours

Sent from my RM-885_apac_vietnam_205 using Tapatalk

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs