What are the actual odds Sprint will push out GDR3 for the Ativ S Neo?

madthoughts

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
10 to 1?
100 to 1?
1000 to 1?

Sidebar: How much do you hate telling people the name of your phone? Ativ S Neo sounds silly. I just tell people I have a Samsung Windows Phone.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
About as remote a possibility as Apple pushing an android variant of the iphone.
Seriously though, it will take all of us in the WP community to continue to push and support the platform and for Microsoft to continue its assault on the mobile community pushing its products. One thing Sprint is still craves more than money is attention.

stephenjxn

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
Sprint will never push any of Windows updates to their devices. The are only in the business to push iPhone and Android devices. They will push the update when Windows 9 phones hit the market. Sprint only carries Windows phones because of their obligation to Microsoft. Go into ANY Sprint store and ask about the Windows phone and check out their reaction. I love my Windows phone. I love my Sprint service plan. I just hate the Windows customer support service I receive from Sprint.

Jmb8

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
I agree with stephen, I went to one sprint store a week after the neo launched and they didn't have working models of either wp. Just a plastic mockup of the HTC. They sent me to another store that actually had the Neo but the sales rep didn't know they had it. And Sprint will state that the WP didn't sell well, I wonder why not!

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
It is called a General Distribution Release, meaning its for "all" Windows Phone 8 devices, afaik these are provided by Microsoft and not by the carrier. Now Samsung specifc updates and firmware updates provided by Sprint are a whole different thing, but from everything I have read GDR3 is intended for all devices, currently the Neo is running GDR2. Don't confuse Amber and Bittersweet, as these are Nokia specific named updates + GDR3. So to answer your question, yes you will get GDR3 how quickly I am not sure.

Correct me if im wrong, but this is what I have gathered from information. I am not sure about 8.1 but I believe the Neo has the hardware to support it so there is no reason it should not get it either.

Read the last sentance:

New features for Windows Phone 8 GDR3 reportedly revealed; due in the coming months | Windows Phone Central

Skippy07

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
It is called a General Distribution Release, meaning its for "all" Windows Phone 8 devices, afaik these are provided by Microsoft and not by the carrier. Now Samsung specifc updates and firmware updates provided by Sprint are a whole different thing, but from everything I have read GDR3 is intended for all devices, currently the Neo is running GDR2. Don't confuse Amber and Bittersweet, as these are Nokia specific named updates + GDR3. So to answer your question, yes you will get GDR3 how quickly I am not sure.

Correct me if im wrong, but this is what I have gathered from information. I am not sure about 8.1 but I believe the Neo has the hardware to support it so there is no reason it should not get it either.

Read the last sentance:

New features for Windows Phone 8 GDR3 reportedly revealed; due in the coming months | Windows Phone Central

What you've said is correct, however the part you did not mention is the fact that the General Distribution Releases are tested and approved by the carriers before they're pushed to the phones. So, it's conceivable that Sprint may not allow GDR3 to be pushed to it's Windows Phone devices. I hope that's not the case.

-Skippy

qhendricks

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
If they try to pull the same **** that they pulled with the Arrive and not update it, I'm leaving Sprint. I really want to believe them when they say they're going to support their WP8 devices, and I'm still holding out hope, but it's almost like riding a bike across a shaky rope bridge - more likely to flop than to make it across successfully.

The least they could do to show WP8 users that they're at least partially serious is to allow the GDR3 updates on the phones they have out now. All other issues aside (them not marketing the phones, not selling them at all, etc.), I would hope they'd at least update their devices before considering dropping the platform like a brick again, or saying "nevermind lol we're coming out with new devices? btw did you get the iphone 5?"

caliborn

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
Sprint was one of the first carriers to push 7.5 when it was available. Of course, 7.8 is another story since Sprint had already EOL'ed the Arrive. And since the Neo already has GDR2 there's no reason we won't get GDR3.

stephenjxn

Aug 22, 2011
Visit site
We will see what will happens when you select "phone update" from your phone's settings when GDR3 is publicly released. Its too bad 7.5 users cannot upgrade their phones this way.

qhendricks

Jun 21, 2013
Visit site
Sprint was one of the first carriers to push 7.5 when it was available. Of course, 7.8 is another story since Sprint had already EOL'ed the Arrive. And since the Neo already has GDR2 there's no reason we won't get GDR3.

You say that, but Sprint has always been all about talking the talk and never actually walking the walk. I'll believe it when I see it. Sprint has said so much about Windows Phones since WP8, and every single bit I've learned to take with a grain of salt. (Example: The whole "we're providing fresh new phones! Just kidding, it's a 6month old phone re-hashed to work for us")

Rod Iron

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
From what I've read on Sprint forums is the 8XT or whatever it's called already got the update and Sprint/Samsung are working on it for the Neo.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12