SOOOOOO GDR2 didnt fix storage?

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Other storage is just a directory for temp files. Windows has a similar folder.

Nokia does give you the option to "clean it up"

JonnieLasVegas

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
I think we have to reset, it can manage only point forward the other storage.

That's ridiculous! Some people (like me) have way too many games and music to reset the phone. If Microsoft were a little more competent we wouldn't have these problems in the first place. Or if they at least could save game data in the cloud for resets or new phones. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a multi billion dollar company.

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
That's ridiculous! Some people (like me) have way too many games and music to reset the phone. If Microsoft were a little more competent we wouldn't have these problems in the first place. Or if they at least could save game data in the cloud for resets or new phones. Maybe I'm expecting too much from a multi billion dollar company.

If you do a back up, does it matter how many games and music you have?

Also, was able to clear a couple GIGs through Nokia storage manager app.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I don't think you're understanding what the "other storage" bug is/was. Think of "other storage" as a collection of "working" directories for the operating system and your applications. The OS and some apps use the file system to store working files. Think of it as your Temp directory in Windows (although not quite the same). What was supposed to happen was when you start to run low on space, the OS would clean itself up and delete files from "Other" that are no longer needed. But the bug in GDR1 was that this process was not kicking off, and orphaned files were being left behind, taking up space. The fix in GRD2 would allow this process to kick off when you start to run low on space. It will only delete files that are no longer in use. Your "Other" will never be empty as it is constantly being used by the operating system and some apps.

Things that are known to utilize "Other Storage".
* The OS itself.
* Skydrive photo sync
* Email (when you download attachment, this is where it it save it to)
* .xap files when installing/removing apps.

So your "Other Storage" space will be dependent on if you have skydrive photo sync turned on/off, the number/size of e-mail attachments you download, and the number of apps you have installed. And with the fix in GDR2, when you start to run low in hard drive space, the process will now kick off and clear out some cache and delete files no longer in use.

Microsoft clarifies how
http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-8-gdr2-fix-other-storage-bug
What

spaulagain

Apr 27, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I don't think you're understanding what the "other storage" bug is/was. Think of "other storage" as a collection of "working" directories for the operating system and your applications. The OS and some apps use the file system to store working files. Think of it as your Temp directory in Windows (although not quite the same). What was supposed to happen was when you start to run low on space, the OS would clean itself up and delete files from "Other" that are no longer needed. But the bug in GDR1 was that this process was not kicking off, and orphaned files were being left behind, taking up space. The fix in GRD2 would allow this process to kick off when you start to run low on space. It will only delete files that are no longer in use. Your "Other" will never be empty as it is constantly being used by the operating system and some apps.

* The OS itself.
* Skydrive photo sync

So your "Other Storage" space will be dependent on if you have skydrive photo sync turned on/off, the number/size of e-mail attachments you download, and the number of apps you have installed. And with the fix in GDR2, when you start to run low in hard drive space, the process will now kick off and clear out some cache and delete files no longer in use.

Microsoft clarifies how
http://winsupersite.com/windows-phone/windows-phone-8-gdr2-fix-other-storage-bug
What

Exactly. Most file systems don't actually delete files, they just put them in recycling so that they can be overwritten when space is needed.

androidtoWM

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Guys, I don't think you're understanding what the "other storage" bug is/was.

Microsoft clarifies how
What
I understand but i just installed one of those storage shrink apps from app store which fills up device disk with files so it will run out of space and the OS should start deleting those files, right ? That didn't happen in my case. I still have over 8GB in other storage.

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site

* The OS itself.
* Skydrive photo sync

Microsoft clarifies how
What

I've deletes all.games all email and no auto upload SkyDrive after gdr2 I'm up from 9.4 to 9.6 other storage not fixed

paulxxwall

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Just tried shrink storage app theoretically should clean sum out right? Wrong! Actually lost sum memory so no gdr2 has not fixed the"other storage" bug at least not on my phone

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rorymi6