Nokia 928 screen freeze investigation

majorawsome

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys! I have a Nokia 928 and my screen freezes constantly, just like everybody else's claims.

My screen has been freezing A TON (at least twice a day) and I want to know why, so I am on an investigation to figure out why this is happening.

Somethings I know: Not the screen's or digitizer's fault. They work off and on, but if it continues to keep working, why would it be?

Somethings I don't know: Is it caused by heat, humidity, or the SIM card?

Why these things you may ask?
Phone often does not work when pulled out of pocket, feels a bit warm,
When phone is put into freezer to cool it down sometimes it does not work, but most times it does. (possibly heat)
For me this all happens during school, and my school does not get any service (I even live in a 5 bar area!) except sometimes in classrooms near the outside. Because I have no service in school (when this event primarily happens) I have came to the conclusion it is the SIM card.

Yesterday I read a post by someone who said if you put a piece of scotch tap on the SIM card (aluminum shiny side, not connector) the problem will go away, so I currently have a piece of scotch tap on my SIM. I will report back within a week or next time it happens to post my results. (School is on Monday, next time I will have no service, so hopefully you will not hear from me on Monday)

TAPE METHOD: DOESN'T WORK
GDR3 DEVELOPER UPDATE: DOESN'T WORK
WIFI ADAPTER PROBLEM: NOPE.
SIM CARD: NADA

I went out for dinner with my friends last night, and I put my phone in my back pocket, screen was REALLY warm when I took it out (I was sitting on it) and the screen WORKED! WTF! I'm now thinking this is most likely a heatsink is loose or something. I am absolutely clueless

Last edited:

AR2186

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
It seems that the GDR2 update made the 928 more unstable. I have a similar problem and never had it before the update in August

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
Hey guys! I have a Nokia 928 and my screen freezes constantly, just like everybody else's claims.

My screen has been freezing A TON (at least twice a day) and I want to know why, so I am on an investigation to figure out why this is happening.

I don't really think this is a big issue for most people. I haven't had freezing screens and we have a few other 928's at work and no one has reported a problem to me. More likely it's a bad app running in the background.

majorawsome

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Since the investigation started I have glance on, sensitivity on normal and double tap off. Before this I had touch sensitivity on high, but my screen still froze on normal.

gapost

Dec 1, 2004
Visit site
I'm sure it's a big problem for you, but I'm just saying it's not a problem for most 928 users. If it were mine, I would do a hard reset, not restoring a backup, and then see how it worked for a couple of days with only adding my accounts and not many apps. Then I would add my apps slowly over a few days and see how it worked. Make sure you sync it to your computer before you do this. Then it will be sure to save your media.

Barbara Johnson2

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
My 928 froze for the first time today. I was getting ready to take a picture, and it just froze...I cannot even turn it off as I need to "slide down to power off." I see an icon I have never seen before - upper left corner (opposite side of the battery icon). It is the universal NO sign (small circle with a line through it) over a small rectangle. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
My 928 froze for the first time today. I was getting ready to take a picture, and it just froze...I cannot even turn it off as I need to "slide down to power off." I see an icon I have never seen before - upper left corner (opposite side of the battery icon). It is the universal NO sign (small circle with a line through it) over a small rectangle. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

DO a soft reset, Volume down and power button, hold for like 10 seconds....

I created the other tread about this, It happens to me 3-5 times a week, Normally when I just pull my phone out, or other times when I am doing random things on the screen (Normally when a call comes in or checking email). No reason for it, not running apps, just in the OS 95% of the time, Apps running in the background are very low (only 3 things run in the background because I use them every day).

I have run into the connection problem a lot but, it seems to be less after GDR2 (shocker, huh ?). This would make all internet connections stop working. If your just checking your live tiles for updates, you could go hours with out noticing this one. Your WI-FI looks fine, LTE looks fine, no errors but, once you try to use it you will see you have no connection.

I would love to find a pattern for this....maybe it's because of a app that is installed, maybe it's firmware related, maybe it's physical hardware installed. Out of things for people who have this issue. What is different from the people who DONT (Never) have this issue ?

There has to be something....

I was going to attempt the hard reset but, there is no way to backup saved games, so I am not willing to do that...PERIOD (come on root WP8 so we can have a backup plan for it !!!!)

majorawsome

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
Cool. Screen froze today while sitting by indoor fire. I believe my phone got to hot or something and stopped working. I do plan on taking my phone apart (When I get a new one) and seeing what's inside that would make this happen so much... I would do it now but my screen is cracked (a little corner) and I am afraid the screen will not fit.

felickz

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
Like you, I tried to find all logic as to why the almighty bulletproof Nokia phone could possibly have any faults.

Just get a warranty replacement.. The hardware is defective.

Mine froze on boot screen after a factory reset... That pretty much ruled out all software issues

Took it to the beach in 90degree humid weather and it froze nonstop.. Putting it in the fridge or in AC vent always helped it restore after soft reset.. Convinced me it was a hardware defect, as limited people report this behavior.

http://discussions.nokia.com/t5/Nokia-Lumia/928-screen-unrespsonsive/td-p/1926018

New replacement phone froze one time in past 3 months.... ;)

Teeb omus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Mine did this for the first time after using the wireless charging plate. It does get warm on this plate. Soft reset worked, but something is going on here.

hopmedic

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
This sounds very much like a hardware problem. In order to prove it, you'll need to do a hard reset. If it still happens after a hard reset, call Verizon (or go) (or go to Microsoft Store if you bought it there), and tell them what it's doing, and that you've already done a hard reset to prove that it wasn't software. This should save you time on the phone (or in the store). Assuming it still happens after hard reset, it should be an easy replacement. And it should be under OEM warranty, not the VZW insurance, so no deductible, should they try to charge one.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I am not convinced it is a hardware issue. It is happening on 100% of our 928's. (Ok, it's only 4 devices, but still.) It usually happens after sending a text or trying to end a phone call. A simple reboot fixes it. Never had that issue once prior to GDR2.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss