Is the GoPhone Lumia 520 locked to AT&T Network?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
I am currently on ATT and use an iPhone 5 and a Nexus 4 device interchangeably. However I am interested in getting the Nokia Lumia 520 GoPhone from ATT.

Questions:

1. Is the GoPhone Lumia 520 locked to the ATT network? If so, it won't work if I go overseas and pop in a local SIM card?
2. If I take out my current ATT SIM card from my iPhone and put it in the Nokia 520, will it just work?
3. If the GoPhone Lumia 520 is locked to ATT, what do I need to do to get it unlocked?

TIA!

Edited to add:
I just found this on BestBuy: AT&T - Nokia Lumia 520 4G No-Contract Mobile Phone - Black
https://forums.windowscentral.com/e...219055522200%26skuId%3D1558441&token=_aihKXGT

So there are two types of Lumia 520 phones that work on AT&T? A locked GoPhone version and an unlocked version (from the BestBuy link)? Why would anyone buy a locked version if you can get an unlocked one for the same price? What is the difference between the two phones?

raccoon210

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Yes the GoPhone version is locked. I looked at the link and I did not notice if it said it was unlocked so I think it is still locked. So then yeah you couldnt just pop in another sim from a local carrier. I thought the iphone 5 used a nano sim? If it does then idk if that would work becuase the 520 uses a micro sim. But if I'm wrong and it uses a micro sim then yes just swap. I think you would need like 60 days of service or something before you could get it unlocked but I could be remembering me wrong.

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Yes the GoPhone version is locked. I looked at the link and I did not notice if it said it was unlocked so I think it is still locked. So then yeah you couldnt just pop in another sim from a local carrier. I thought the iphone 5 used a nano sim? If it does then idk if that would work becuase the 520 uses a micro sim. But if I'm wrong and it uses a micro sim then yes just swap. I think you would need like 60 days of service or something before you could get it unlocked but I could be remembering me wrong.
The BestBuy link said 'No contract', so I assumed it was unlocked. I have a nano-SIM to micro-SIM adapter that I will use when I switch from the iPhone to the Nokia Lumia 520.

mogelijk

Jun 6, 2013
Visit site
While it appears there are two versions of the AT&T 520, there is actually just one version that is packaged differently. In fact, if you buy the 520 from an AT&T store, even specifically wanting the GoPhone 520, you still get the "contract" packaged 520. Both phones are locked to AT&T. And just moving your SIM to the 520 will work (so long as the SIM is the right size or you have an adapter) -- particularly as there is no real difference between a contract and a GoPhone SIM -- the only difference is in your account info that the SIM accesses.

I was able to get my 520 unlocked without issue, by calling customer service. I had owned the phone about a month, at the time.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire