Rogers GDR2 ROM and AT&T-Any working solutions to internet sharing?

jmdomini

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Now that AT&T has released their Amber update and it's become clear that it's not going to be possible to flash back from the Rogers ROM, thought it was a good time to start this thread. It seems like the prevailing attitude towards this issue is it's doesn't work C'est la vie, don't need it anyway. Well, some of us do pay for this feature and aren't very happy about paying for a service we can't use any more. I have AT&T's highest level of data plans, Enterprise and I STILL get the message to call 611.

I have tried the work around of installing the Spanish keyboard, it works for 24 hours and then I'm back to call 611. At this point the only way to get sharing back is to reflash and start all over. I'm obviously not going to reflash my phone on a daily basis as a work around.

Is anyone out there able to use internet sharing or otherwise been able to come up with a way to tether to your phone besides using Tether-X? If so how?

If not, are there any ideas what's going on that is preventing tethering from working? What is AT&T doing that's so different from every other carrier?

I don't really expect that I'm going to get an answer back with a quick easy solution. However I'd like to see some sign that somebody besides me cares about this feature, and that there are some folks who know more about the inner workings of these phones then me are looking for some answers.

Mantraxalos

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
I'm using the Att developer rom labeled as rogers and the espanol keyboard hack has been working for at least 6 weeks. I had problems in the beginning that forced a hard reset, but I learned not to switch anything in access point as that ruined internet sharing immediately. I've traveled with the phone internationally, roamed on other networks, switched data settings on/off, even done software updates to access point, all without losing the ability to tether. I just never touch any setting inside access point other than the initial setting of LTE 2.

Anyway there is one on these forums stating he was able to revert to the official att rom by using an older version of ncs. I think he goes by the id of goldenshower. I haven't bothered to try, my ics works fine and i love data sense.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I'm using the Att developer rom labeled as rogers and the espanol keyboard hack has been working for at least 6 weeks. I had problems in the beginning that forced a hard reset, but I learned not to switch anything in access point as that ruined internet sharing immediately. I've traveled with the phone internationally, roamed on other networks, switched data settings on/off, even done software updates to access point, all without losing the ability to tether. I just never touch any setting inside access point other than the initial setting of LTE 2.

Anyway there is one on these forums stating he was able to revert to the official att rom by using an older version of ncs. I think he goes by the id of goldenshower. I haven't bothered to try, my ics works fine and i love data sense.

Tethering also works on the French rom according to Juan and others (free on any plan).
BTW. I tried to look into the comment by goldenpipes and tried a bunch of scenarios and NCS versions with no luck so far. I pm'ed goldenpipes to see if he can give some input on what exactly he did.
I know I sound like a wise a_s_s but this is a risk we took when we flashed our phones to an unsupported rom. I still hope there is a way back to stock ATT but worst case is you return your phone for an exchange before the warranty runs out.
jmdomini, have you called ATT to see if they can give you the correct APN settings that allows tethering?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
I use internet sharing in my at&t 1020 all the time. Have you heard of the 3g mode trick? If you go into the field test mode and set your phone to 3G only, for some reason it enables internet sharing. And it keeps working until you turn the phone off.

The disadvantage though, is that you are stuck at 3g speeds. Though really, hspa+ is really nothing to sneeze at and I have no issue using it at 18mbps instead of 30+mbps on LTE. So it doesn't bother me at all.

To do this, dial ##3282# and tap Accept. Do NOT change any of the menu items you see infront of you; you may royally screw up your phone. What you wanna do is go into the three dot menu and tap Settings. Set Network Type to 3G Only, then press back until you are back out of the field test. Your phone should drop down to 3g/4g but internet sharing should now work.

If you reboot your phone, you will need to go through field test again to enable internet sharing.

jmdomini

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Derausgewanderte, the French ROM is looking very promising. Flashed it last night and so far tethering is still working, even after several power-offs/reboots. Fingers crossed that it continues to "stick".

I had not tried calling AT&T, figured they would just tell me sorry we don't support that feature on unlocked phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster