Pro Photog with 1020 part 3: Taking the 1020 to the next level: STUDIO edition!

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
So I decided to take my beloved Nokia Lumia 1020 to my studio today. I was hired to shoot a fitness competitor who came into town to compete yesterday. She wanted a photoshoot the same weekend as she would be in her peak form, so she contaced me months ago to set it up.

Anyhow, leading up to the competition, she started following me on Instagram and was enjoying the photos I was getting with the Lumia 1020, so I brought it to the studio with me to shoot with! She was already interested in the 1020 (her contract on her 4s is up in 2 months and is seriously considering it) so she was totally onboard to be shot with it.

For the technical folk, the Nokia Lumia 1020 has a REAL XENON flash onboard, just like a compact or most DSLR cameras. Like any digital camera, it meters flash by emitting a preflash before the real flash comes out. This is problematic to sync with optical slaves, unless you have a slave flash that knows to ignore the preflash. But in my case, I didn't have to worry about that.
The Lumia 1020 syncs fine with my Elinchrom lights, which are programmable to LEARN your camera's preflash sequence so it can sync to the right flash. But for this shoot, I used my PCB Einsteins for lighting, and surprisingly, the Einsteins synced with the 1020 out of the box. When used in the lower power ranges (which is necessary as the Lumia 1020 is fixed at f/2.2) it has no problem syncing to both the preflash and the main flash, which are only milliseconds apart. Impressive!

So I brought out all 6 of my Einsteins and went to work!

1. Man I wish I had abs like this!
135847_8771.jpg

135752_8769.jpg

135428_8767.jpg

4. She is quite proud of her legs. I wish I had legs like this.
140857_8796.jpg

5. She has a very well balanced build
142025_8798.jpg

6. A bit of a softer take
144401_8800.jpg

150105_8802.jpg

150351_8804.jpg

Is it weird to be a bit jealous of a woman's body?

Anyhow, a bit of a pullback shot:
140410_8773.jpg

All in all, it is a surprisingly capable studio camera. I shot almost all the shots (except the pullback) fully zoomed in, which is around the 75mm equivalent mark. I set the camera to 5MP, as usual. I trust in Nokia's engineering when they say that the camera is optimized for 5MP.
It was really fun to shoot with something different. And surprisingly easy too!

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Wow, I am impressed(both with her physique and the Quality of the photos).

It is amazing that you are able to do this with a SMARTPHONE :p

I may have to hire you to do my photo shoot for my portfolio for my Fall shots(I model as well), Accent! haha

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Cheers, thanks guys!

Wow, I am impressed(both with her physique and the Quality of the photos).

It is amazing that you are able to do this with a SMARTPHONE :p

I may have to hire you to do my photo shoot for my portfolio for my Fall shots(I model as well), Accent! haha

Why not? :) Are you in the fitness world too?

Lurchorama

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Thats incredible work. Although like any studio works its as much the lighting as the camera. But it's all the photographer.
Can I ask what you usually shoot with?

AccentAE86

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
Thats incredible work. Although like any studio works its as much the lighting as the camera. But it's all the photographer.
Can I ask what you usually shoot with?

Thanks!

@Lurchorama normally, I do the huge bulk of my work with a Canon 40D. That is all my portraiture, boudoir, some commercial, and weddings. My second camera, is a 1Ds mark III which I use mostly for high resolution commercial work and architecture to mate with my collection of Tilt-Shift lenses. I also use it for the all-important wedding formals due to the security of dual card slots. And for high speed stuff like cars and sports, I sling my 1D mark III. It's had a bad rap on the internet, but it's always performed brilliantly for me. I've strongly considered the 1D X but it's not really giving me anything I need over the 1D3 and 1Ds3 duo. I've also shot Nikon but finally chose Canon in the end due to it's vastly superior Tilt-Shift lineup. But for 95% of my work, the 40D gets it all done.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
That's some heavy duty photography equipment.

I like SLRs but it was just too bulky for me to carry around. I really like the u4/3 now. It's smaller and lighter. At the same time, has interchangeable lens.

Tech friend

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I like #1, #5 and #6, they emphasize her expressive face and her lovely hair.

Respect to you, AccentAE86, for these prime shots, and also respect to your model.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos